Random Thoughts on Command Climate

Started by catrulz, July 17, 2014, 02:55:39 PM

RiverAux

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 19, 2014, 02:38:16 AM
I'm not sure why this comparison continues to be brought up here. I guess the grass is always greener...
I brought it up because I go to picnics in both yards and see advantages and disadvantages in the way the hosts treats their guests on both sides of the fence.  They're both in the same neighborhood and could learn something from each other about the best way to fertilize their lawns. 

RRLE

Since the Aux has been mentioned, one other thing that bears on the general discussion deserves mentioning. CAP is a paramilitary organization, as such it does have a command environment. As the previous quotes show, that is anathema in the Aux. The AuxMan makes clear in several places that the Aux is a civilian organization and is restricted to the civilian side of the CG "house".

A few examples: although both organizations have and wear military style uniforms, the insignia on a CAP uniform is rank/grade. The insignia on an Aux uniform is an office designation. CAP "credits" a member with prior military experience in the issuing of rank. Since the Aux insignia is office insignia, everyone starts at the bottom with member insignia. It doesn't matter if the member is a non-prior, seaman/private or general/admiral, everyone starts at the bottom.

CAP member are supposed to salute senior officers, how often that is honored in the breach, is a matter of discussion here. The Aux discourages saluting, the AuxMan states it it "not normal and not customary". About the only place it happens on a regular basis is the biannual changing of the national watch between the in-coming and out-going National Commodore. You might find saluting in local pockets in the Aux, usually started by some gung-ho member (often not prior service) but once a higher level officer finds out about it, they end it quickly.

CAP members also address each other by rank. In the Aux, the only officers addressed by rank are the District Commodores (head of the second highest organizational unit) and anyone holding an office with Commodore in its title at National. Depending on the office holder, even the use of rank may be optional outside of a formal meeting.