Main Menu

Prank the new guy

Started by usafcap1, May 28, 2012, 12:09:34 AM

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 28, 2012, 07:14:06 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on May 28, 2012, 05:38:54 PM
Does blood pinning count as a prank?

Major Lord

When I was promoted I was promoted to Cpl in the Marines, I was in my B's....tan shirt and blue trousers. I had my Cpl stripes tagged by a fist in formation by a Captain, and my blood stripe (red stripe down the side of a Marines blue trousers) tagged by a dead leg from the 1st Sgt and a punch in the gut by my Plt Sgt.  Grunt life is a little  >:D.  That was prob 15 yrs ago now.  Didnt bother me in the slightest.  But I would imagine the culture is alive and well after the lights go out ;D

15 years ago was soft. Now 35 years ago was hard core Corps   >:D

Semper Fi 

Private Investigator

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 29, 2012, 12:29:59 AM
There is hazing and then there is good natured ribbing and having fun.

It is all in fun until you put somebody's eye out. Or when the victim commits suicide.

The best way to determined if it is hazing or not is; Would you tell your mother what you did? Case closed ...

RRLE

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 29, 2012, 02:09:47 AM
The best way to determined if it is hazing or not is; Would you tell your mother what you did? Case closed ...

Or your boss, or his boss ... you get the idea.

Maybe the 'fun' stops when they guy you bullied lets all the air out of all your tires in an underground parking garage. As someone else wrote - Payback is a ....

RRLE

And in case it didn't make it to your local news show, here is where your fun and games ends up, whether the victim consented or not.

Florida A&M Band Hazing Death: Robert Champion agreed to initiation ritual, bandmates say

And don't try to comfort yourself that it was an isolated incident and it could never could happen in your group (whatever your group is). The Marching Band has a tradition of hazing that goes back decades and the death wasn't the first serious injury.

Crossing the line for camaraderie

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on May 29, 2012, 01:41:43 AM
When someone is forwarned of any danger, isn't it up to them to make a move? Unlike other clubs, we are subjected to a higher standard and to respect someones decision to not want to be initiated the traditional way. We can get reported and get in some SERIOUS trouble if they report us. That cloud is enough to stop a traditional initiation that could be close to hazing.

The man in the video, along with all participants, willingly accepted it. It is a right rite of passage for them. It makes someone feel like part of the family...oddly.

FTFY.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on May 29, 2012, 06:19:13 AM
When someone is forwarned of any danger, isn't it up to them to make a move? Unlike other clubs, we are subjected to a higher standard and to respect someones decision to not want to be initiated the traditional way. We can get reported and get in some SERIOUS trouble if they report us. That cloud is enough to stop a traditional initiation that could be close to hazing.

It does not matter if the "victim" is forwarned and is agreeable to the incident.  a few years back, we had a cadet earn his Mitchell.  He knew he was going to get a cream pie down his pants.  His parents knew it and brought a camera to the meeting.  Prior to the event, the cadet changed out of his blues and in to a flight suit.  He got the pie down the front of him and everybody laughed, including mom and dad.  The only problem was that we had a visitor from another squadron who reported it.  A cadet protection violation was filed and the squadron commander got suspended.

The ruling was that even if the individual being "hazed" is a willing participant, hazing is hazing.   :(

bosshawk

In my 18 years in CAP, I must admit that I never even heard of this sort of crap, so I am a bit disturbed to see that there are people who claim to be adults who seem to have regressed to the "child" stage.  It is fun only for those perpetrating the nonsense.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Grumpy

I choose not to participate in this kind of thing and the squadron/cc (Who was an Annapolis graduate by the way) is no longer a member of CAP.  Our squadron doesn't participate in this stuff either.  My only intent was to point out that a "willing victim" is no defense.

manfredvonrichthofen

I think we all agree that hazing and hazing type rituals have no place in CAP. We are only stating that it happens, and it it not always unwelcome. I would have been rather upset if I didn't get a ritualistic send off from the Infantry. It is a ritualistic world, and it is rather expected. I would also have been upset if there was no ritual sort of thing when I was pinned with my CIB. But that is a different world, and CAP is not ritualistic, or anything of the sort. Not to mention the hundreds of different types of people that are in CAP. It doesn't belong HERE.

Grumpy

When I got my COP back in 1963, I got the old toss in the pool trick.  Thank goodness I was wearing my khakis and not my blues.

Major Lord

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 29, 2012, 03:56:18 PM
I think we all agree that hazing and hazing type rituals have no place in CAP. We are only stating that it happens, and it it not always unwelcome. I would have been rather upset if I didn't get a ritualistic send off from the Infantry. It is a ritualistic world, and it is rather expected. I would also have been upset if there was no ritual sort of thing when I was pinned with my CIB. But that is a different world, and CAP is not ritualistic, or anything of the sort. Not to mention the hundreds of different types of people that are in CAP. It doesn't belong HERE.

So you would like to do away with Encampment?  >:D

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

manfredvonrichthofen

What? Are cadets supposed to be hazed at encampment?

I never said anything about encampments that I know of.

Hazing rituals are taping someone to a tree throwing them off a ship or thing of the sort, like my 21st birthday in Iraq, I was taped to the barrel of an Abrams, and pink bellied. But encampment is a required training even for any cadet who wants their Mitchell. It is not a hazing ritual.

Grumpy

Quote from: Major Lord on May 29, 2012, 04:06:37 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 29, 2012, 03:56:18 PM

So you would like to do away with Encampment?  >:D

Say W H A T.   ???

Major Lord

bflynn

The man in the video, along with all participants, willingly accepted it. It is a right of passage for them. It makes someone feel like part of the family...oddly.

No, it isn't. 

You cannot willingly accept hazing.

Quote from: Grumpy on May 29, 2012, 03:55:43 PM
I choose not to participate in this kind of thing and the squadron/cc (Who was an Annapolis graduate by the way) is no longer a member of CAP.  Our squadron doesn't participate in this stuff either.  My only intent was to point out that a "willing victim" is no defense.

I'm really surprised to hear the topic even brought up too.  And more than a little dismayed to find that so many apparently accept it or don't recognize it when they see it.

At least CAP apparently isn't 20 years behind...just still some who don't get it...

manfredvonrichthofen

Your right, some don't get it. It is as perceived by the hazed. If they perceive it as hazing, it is hazing. If they don't, then it is still gray as to whether it is hazing. If it is taken well, and meant in a good manner, then, I wouldn't think it as hazing. If it is accepted though, yet not meant in a good manner it is still hazing.

But regardless, it should not be done in CAP, nor in most of the world.

bflynn

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 29, 2012, 05:57:47 PMIf it is taken well, and meant in a good manner, then, I wouldn't think it as hazing.

That is the part that is maddening - whether it is taken in a good manner or not, it is still considered hazing.

abdsp51

Then lets abolish all humor practical jokes and some age old traditions that have been around for ages.

AngelWings

If someone is going to be offended if they are played a practical joke on or go through a rite or passage process, than I can only imagine what else offends them. Some units have traditions. Some don't. If a tradition offends someone that much than I don't see why they could not either find a unit or simply tell the people who are about to do it to stop. If they do not listen, than it is hazing. All of you crazy politcal correctness advocates that want there to be no humor or semi uncomfortable experiences, please do not force yourselves onto longstanding traditions. If the person is getting harmed, stop it. If the person is clearly not wanting to go through with it, don't make them. Simple as that.

CAP4117

Some people might feel pressured or might be too afraid to speak up for themselves to tell people to stop. Whenever someone is brand new to a group, there is the potential for that. Especially when kids are involved.

AngelWings

Quote from: CAP4117 on May 29, 2012, 07:10:12 PM
Some people might feel pressured or might be too afraid to speak up for themselves to tell people to stop. Whenever someone is brand new to a group, there is the potential for that. Especially when kids are involved.
There should not be any traditions that could physically or mentally harm a normal cadet.