Main Menu

LtCol Leon Flowers

Started by ol'fido, August 05, 2013, 09:30:07 PM

ol'fido

I received a phone call today letting me know that LtCol Leon Flowers from Texas Wing had passed away suddenly. Many of you may remember LtCol Flowers from his time as an instructor at the Honor Guard Academy. He was also a staff member of the Illinois Wing Summer Encampment for several years. LtCol Flowers was an instructor for our Advanced Training Squadron and our "go to" guy for all questions of D&C, C&C, and military protocol. LtCol Flowers had been unable to come to encampment for a couple of years due to medical problems(I am thinking it was his Knee). He will be missed.

Can anyone in TXWG provide details on the services or more information?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

spaatzmom

Oh my, so sad to hear of this, he was such a nice man.  I had the pleasure of knowing him for several years via NHGA.  Stand up guy with a killer sense of humor.  Sir, you will be missed by many.

HGjunkie

I knew he was having knee issues, but that was quite unexpected.

Farewell, sir. May good winds prevail.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ol'fido

From the Sheldon Cadet Squadron FB Page:

Sheldon Cadet Squadron
It is with a sad heart that we announce the passing of one of our senior members. LtCol Leon Flowers suffered from a heart attack last Friday evening and passed away. Some of our younger cadets have not had the opportunity to work with him, but he was a wonderful man, mentor and instructor. He joined CAP in Jan of 1968 and during the years he has been a member of our squadron he has attended weekend activities, taught the best uniform classes, instructed at the National Honor Guard Academy and traveled with us to encampments in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Illinois. Our hearts and deepest sympathies are with LtCol Flowers' family and friends.

The viewing for him will begin at 0900 hours on Saturday, 10 August at Serenity Funerals & Cremations, 4725 Vermont Ave, Fort Worth, 76115. Services will begin the same day at 1500 hours.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Alaric

I got a chance to meet him at the TLC class I took in Texas in 2009 after I first became DCC in Plano, he was a fine teacher and a very courteous individual

Tim Medeiros

I remember when I first saw him at HGA in 2004, he was a great and kind-hearted man who mentored me more than he'll ever know during my time at NHGA.  He shall be missed.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811