US Army Cadet Corps Revisited

Started by RADIOMAN015, July 23, 2011, 05:50:33 PM

RADIOMAN015

Check out the new website design & information http://www.goarmycadets.com/  Quite a change in the website :clap:

I've got to admit that I am impressed with the organization, as it is set up at the National HQ and training center and the summer programs that are provided for youth. (Pricing for attendence can be found at:  http://www.goarmycadets.com/at-registration.php However, I still don't see a unit locator (at the very least, location and contact name, telephone, and email) to assist individuals that might want to consider joining or the very least attending one of the local units' UTA's.

It appears to me that IF you don't live close geographically to their headquarters, it's going to cost you a lot more money to join and progress than in Civil Air Patrol.  Cadet members are required to attend training at the HQ in KY on a yearly basis.

Surely their program isn't for everyone, BUT they readily admit this and for the cadets even have specific medical requirements http://www.goarmycadets.com/qualificaitons.php   

What is also interesting is that Civil Air Patrol could utilize those facilities when USACC didn't need the facilities.  Although it appears that it's a bit of a drive from any major airport.
RM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am surprised, honestly, Radio.

I would have thought the USACC would be civilians looking far too "military" for you.

And are those subdued CAP aircrew wings the Captain fourth from left is wearing?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NIN

Quote from: CyBorg on July 23, 2011, 05:55:02 PM
I would have thought the USACC would be civilians looking far too "military" for you.

Its all about meeting the requirements of Title 10. :)

And are those subdued CAP aircrew wings the Captain fourth from left is wearing?

Not sure which photo you're referring to (the page may have a "rotator" of photos in the banner at the top, so the photo that comes up for you might not be the one that comes up for me, and you might have to refresh it a couple [dozen] times to get the same pic to come up)

EDIT: NVM, I think I finally saw it.  Yes, those are CAP wings, if its the captain I think it is. He's also a CAP pilot.

Here are some pretty good pics from our Centennial Celebration in 2009. http://www.goarmycadets.com/100th-anniversary-photos.php

That crazy SOB with the parachute is me.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NIN on July 24, 2011, 08:51:05 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on July 23, 2011, 05:55:02 PM

Its all about meeting the requirements of Title 10. :)

Not sure which photo you're referring to (the page may have a "rotator" of photos in the banner at the top, so the photo that comes up for you might not be the one that comes up for me, and you might have to refresh it a couple [dozen] times to get the same pic to come up)

Here are some pretty good pics from our Centennial Celebration in 2009. http://www.goarmycadets.com/100th-anniversary-photos.php

That crazy SOB with the parachute is me.

There's even a CAP face in there (other than the crazy SOB with the parachute).

COL Land

Go to the National Cadet Training Center Facebook page for details regarding our various training programs this summer.  Over 300 young people from 34 states and 13 countries have traveled to the NCTC.   It has been a great summer!

R,
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Sir, it sounds like your organisation is a really motivated one...especially considering how small it is.

But, maybe the smaller size increases motivation?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

COL Land

Captain:

A lot can be said for that statement.  We have a very motivated and dedicated team of professionals who execute this program.  In part, I attribute that to:

a.  Culture.   The program's motto is "Hardcore or out the Door!"   If you are not dedicated to the mission, and to the Corps as a whole...go home.   We don't want you.   We won't tolerate you.    If folks want to constantly complain and bash the chain of command, then either work towards promotion in order to affect change, or leave the organization.  Why stay with a program if you aren't supportive and dedicated?   

b.  Leadership Structure.   We have officers, noncommissioned officers and USAC civilians.   It serves no good purpose, for us at least, to have "CPT Mom" wearing a military uniform and within a gung-ho military culture, yet who has no interest in the military arts and sciences.   Civilians are important, valued and put into appropriate positions of authority.   But, civilians do not teach military topics, nor do they command units.   

c.  Required Training.  Our officers and NCOs complete Officer Candidate School or the NCO Academy, providing them with USAC-specific skills relative to working with America's youth.  Prior to wearing the USAC uniform, all applicants must "come to the mountain" for Army Cadet Cadre Orientation Training (ACCOT), a three-day MUTA which shows how a unit is to be operated properly.   Many will argue that this is "too much to ask."   But, it's what we require.   

d.  Franchise Mentality.   Every McDonalds is basically alike in its management, appearance and quality standards.  We demand the same within USAC.  That ensures the quality of training and the quality of those providing the training.   Every Army Cadet wears the same PT uniform, regardless of unit.  In fact, the greeting of the day is "Hardcore, sir" for all USAC personnel, regardless of home station.  We're rigid on quality and consistency.

e.  Marine Corps Mentality.  Truthfully, my boss is a Marine, turned soldier.  As a result, we strive to set the pace in a lot of ways.   If someone doesn't want to meet the standards, that's fine.   But we're not going to change for them.  (For the record...I'm not one of those "Marines are the elite, the rest are *$& types, by any means).   Marines simply won't lower their standards, regardless of who wants them to.   We're somewhat the same.  In fact, our recruits do not earn the title "Cadet" (and the privilege of wearing a dress uniform) until they complete the two-week Basic Cadet Training.   The title "Cadet" is quite coveted by our recruits; thus, when they earn it they want to make sure that it stays important.   

f.  Reality of Training.   If you want to know what life is like as a soldier, both good and bad, we strive to be as realistic as we can be.   As I write this, 31 young men and women are attending the two-week Cadet MP Academy where they will kick in doors and learn about bad guys.   Further, they will learn about writing reports, maintaining a perimeter and much more.  Our Cadet Ranger School Cadets - here for three weeks - have done more than I have time to write. 

h. National Cadet Training Center.  We operate a 20-acre facility that is just about Cadetting.   This summer alone, 200+ young people from 34 states and 13 countries have traveled to the NCTC.  It's a great place, which gives our troops a lot of pride in our organization.  This will go further when USAC open Forest Hill Military Academy in August 2012, providing a residential militayr boarding school that is focused on college and service academy prep.

i.  Size.   It's easy to have high standards when we are small.  We know that will change in time.  However, for the time being our people are proud to be part of a high-quality and growing program.   However, for us to grow in size, and number of units, it takes quality adults.   

j.  Use of talent in the field.  To be fully successful as an organization, we must capitalize on the talent that exists within our ranks, regardless of where that talent is located or the rank of the individual.  We work hard to tap into the talent base that is available, which cause folks to feel valued and that they are having a meaningful contribution to the program's future. 

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by PM. 

JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Colonel Land - no complaints from me on any of those! :clap:
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

CAP will never be the USAC, nor should it strive to be, different missions and different goals, but we would do well to emulate
a lot of their ops and polices, for seniors and cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"