I was told to buy a "personal Radio"

Started by jfkspotting, July 13, 2017, 09:59:16 PM

jfkspotting

What is the best "Personal Radio" in terms of value for money?

How long would it take to set up to CAP regs, and who would I ask?

waukwiz

Quote from: jfkspotting on July 13, 2017, 09:59:16 PM

Who told you you needed one? And why?

A CAP compliant radio will run in the ballpark of a minimum of $100
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

Ozzy

You probably weren't. There isn't a need for you to have a personal CAP radio. You should really talk with your squadron senior members before posting question like this online, you could possibly start trouble. In terms of setting it up, talk with the ES officer.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

jfkspotting

For the Holbrook fair, my flight staff asked those who didn't. They politely "suggested" but asked, if I had the money and I replied yes.

Do you know any good options.

waukwiz

Quote from: jfkspotting on July 13, 2017, 10:15:53 PM
For the Holbrook fair, my flight staff asked those who didn't. They politely "suggested" but asked, if I had the money and I replied yes.

Just to confirm, you said you had the money without knowing how much money is involved?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Cadet Cullen Mayes

Eclipse

My guess is that they were referring to an FRS radio, which can be used for things like air shows and encampments.

You still need to have an ICUT though.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2017, 10:27:09 PM
My guess is that they were referring to an FRS radio, which can be used for things like air shows and encampments.

You still need to have an ICUT though.

He still needs to talk to somebody in authority at his unit above his "flight staff" though.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Ozzy

Ask for clarification. FRS radio or an ISR... The difference between $25 and $100+. You really don't need an ISR but if you really need some radios, group has a whole bunch the unit would just have to request to use.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

jfkspotting

Quote from: waukwiz on July 13, 2017, 10:23:38 PM

Just to confirm, you said you had the money without knowing how much money is involved?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I said money wouldn't be a problem as they said it would be 50 dollars

Eclipse

Quote from: jfkspotting on July 14, 2017, 02:45:30 AM
I said money wouldn't be a problem as they said it would be 50 dollars

It's got to be an FRS (they don't make ISR any more and civilians couldn't generally buy them anyway),
but no one in your "flight staff" should be telling you to buy anything radio-related unless your CC or DC
are involved, and even then they should supply them.

You can get FRS radios all day long on Amazon well under $50 without even trying.

Remember if you buy or are issued GMRS, you can't use those channels for CAP, and you need a
license to use them for personal use.

"That Others May Zoom"

jody

Quote from: Ozzy on July 13, 2017, 10:09:23 PM

You probably weren't. There isn't a need for you to have a personal CAP radio. You should really talk with your squadron senior members before posting question like this online, you could possibly start trouble. In terms of setting it up, talk with the ES officer.

This forum is for people to ask questions! Don't chid someone for asking a question. There are no stupid questions. You gave good advice, just leaving out the judging part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillamarine

Quote from: jody on July 14, 2017, 09:14:32 AM

This forum is for people to ask questions! Don't chid someone for asking a question. There are no stupid questions. You gave good advice, just leaving out the judging part.

LOL you're new here.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jfkspotting

Eclipse

Quote from: jfkspotting on July 14, 2017, 05:33:31 PM
what is a good radio to buy?

If you're talking FRS, whatever is handy at the time, they are all pretty much the same.

Some might have rechargeable batteries, or the ability to use an earpiece, etc., or be physically smaller,
or whatever, but power-wise and performance there should be little difference.

Amazon has lots.  Find something cheap with a decent rating.

"That Others May Zoom"

jody

Quote from: stillamarine on July 14, 2017, 02:56:55 PM
Quote from: jody on July 14, 2017, 09:14:32 AM

LOL you're new here.

Good.point! Something I should remember.

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: stillamarine on July 14, 2017, 02:56:55 PMLOL you're new here.

Glad I am not the only one who had that thought.  Personally, they can "suggest" I buy something all they want.  Until someone points at a reg that indicates that it is required, my wallet is staying where it is unless I have some other use for the item in question.  I have been in (and 'won' insofar as I wasn't the one found in contempt) a courtroom debate with a defense attorney over the definition of the word "or".  Arguing the definition of the words "should" or "suggested" isn't going to make me bat an eye.
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

waukwiz

Quote from: jfkspotting on July 14, 2017, 05:33:31 PM
what is a good radio to buy?
Go up your chain of command and see what they recommend.
Cadet Cullen Mayes

JoeTomasone

Your Communications Officer should be your go-to person for all things Communications-related.

etodd

To take another look at this .... are personal radios even allowed?

When flying aerial photo missions I would MUCH prefer using my much nicer cameras and lenses (I'm a professional aerial photographer by trade), and was quickly told that wasn't allowed. Use the kit as provided only.

So radios yes, cameras no?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on July 15, 2017, 07:23:48 PMSo radios yes, cameras no?

Personal cameras are explicitly prohibited by 1AF on AFAMs.

As to radios, depends on the wing - some license all of them, some don't.

Still need ICUT regardless.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on July 15, 2017, 07:23:48 PM
To take another look at this .... are personal radios even allowed?

When flying aerial photo missions I would MUCH prefer using my much nicer cameras and lenses (I'm a professional aerial photographer by trade), and was quickly told that wasn't allowed. Use the kit as provided only.

So radios yes, cameras no?

For radios, it depends on the specific event. For things like air shows and encampments, personal radios may be used, with the approval of the activity director. For operational missions, only radios on CAP-assigned frequencies may be used. These are usually CAP-owned assets, but there is member-owned equipment in use.

For cameras, it's different. Any images taken are the property of the customer, and must be done on CAP equipment. Release outside the mission is governed by the customer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

I was told to buy a "personal Radio"

If you want to buy a CAP compliant radio, there are several models at different price points that could meet your needs. That said, in my experience, there's no reason to spend hundreds (and in some cases thousands) of dollars in a radio for use in CAP. Anytime you're in an event of mission requiring you to operate a radio, one will be temporarily issued for that purpose. If you have a duty assignment or operations qualification warranting a radio, one can be issued by your unit, group, or wing.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't buy a radio; that's a personal choice. I'm merely saying that you need to be certain you have a genuine need and, if so, that you attempt to get one issued before you spend your money on one.

Shieldel

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2017, 07:53:11 PM
Quote from: etodd on July 15, 2017, 07:23:48 PMSo radios yes, cameras no?

Personal cameras are explicitly prohibited by 1AF on AFAMs.

As to radios, depends on the wing - some license all of them, some don't.

Still need ICUT regardless.
I've never heard of this in my 5-6 years in CAP's ES Program, please give me the reg to back up what you say. Just so I know for future reference.
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

ProdigalJim

^^^^^

It's not in a reg, it's in the directions we receive from our customer each time we fly imagery missions.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

It's an AFNORTH directive that has been in place for at least 5 years - I have email
message traffic that involves the NESA MAS director (at the time my wing's DO), as well as John D.

It also appears in the 2013 AP Powerpoint presentation, however, not sure we'll find it in a reg, per se -
has been briefed on every AP sortie we've done for ages.

Someone here will probably have a memo or better supporting doc.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

PHall

Now, has anybody actually got an approval to use a personal camera?  Has anybody even tried?  etodd???

etodd

Quote from: PHall on July 17, 2017, 01:45:14 AM
Now, has anybody actually got an approval to use a personal camera?  Has anybody even tried?  etodd???

I always carry my 'backups' in case the official gear were to fail or somehow not work properly. The mission must go on ....