Main Menu

WWII-era members

Started by CAP428, November 11, 2006, 06:21:13 PM

CAP428

My dad recently told me he thought that my grandfather was in Civil Air Patrol during the early years of World War II (probably between 1941-1943) before joining the Army Air Corps.  He was a private pilot and owned a plane before joining the service.  Does anyone know of a way I can find out if this is the case?  Does NHQ or anyone have a record of early CAP members?  Thanks.

RiverAux

I wouldn't hold out a whole lot of hope.  If he participated in the coastal patrol program there is a chance he is mentioned in some publications.

fyrfitrmedic

CAP's recordkeeping throughout its history is unfortunately erratic at best.

We had a member from the early days whose own recordkeeping was better than NHQ's, which worked out well for him when he returned to the organization after a hiatus of several years.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

CAP428

Quote from: RiverAux on November 11, 2006, 11:40:35 PM
I wouldn't hold out a whole lot of hope.  If he participated in the coastal patrol program there is a chance he is mentioned in some publications.

Oh.  Do you knowof any publications such as these where that might be a possibility?

BillB

The book "From Maine to Mexico" has a fairly complete list of those that served in the Coastal Patrol and a few other mission. I believe it's available from the CAP Historical Museum
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104