Main Menu

Neighbor Problems

Started by Stonewall, November 06, 2007, 11:18:16 PM

What would you do?

Blow it off, there ain't nuthin wrong with it.
1 (1.7%)
Confront the home owner politely.
30 (50.8%)
Call the cops since the tags are expired.
16 (27.1%)
Put a note on the car
2 (3.4%)
Slash the tires.
10 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 59

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on December 03, 2007, 01:20:03 AM
Remember, I'd shoot until the threat is no longer a threat.  Regardless, if it comes to it, 5.56 or 00 buck is standing by.

Yeah.......explaining to the cops showing up after I kill the neighbors dog that the reason I reloaded three times........."Making sure it wasn't a threat anylonger".  That works.  At least I will get some of that rage out of my system that night!

(Mikey does not shoot dogs, cats, birds (the tasty kinds I do), or any other form of wild and or domesticated animals.  He does however hunt dolphins with those 6-pack plastic ring on the can holder things.  Mikey will not ever shoot the neighbors dog, no matter how loud it barks.....nor will I shoot any other dog except for the Kujo kind (you know, rabies and trying to eat my kid type).  IMPORTANT NOTE:This statement expires Jan 1 2008.

What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

I have a laser on my M4 and tonight, I saw the dog, somehow, again in my backyard and "lit him up" with the laser.  He freaked out.  I boarded up the hole he came through earlier today so I have no clue how he got in.  I have a good sized backyard.  Not sure the exact measurements, but I used my pace count and it's about 50 meters deep and 75 meters in length.

Tomorrow, animal control, who only works Mon - Fri, 0800 to 1700 will be coming out.  I think I'll actually trap it in my backyard so I don't look the fool again.
Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 03, 2007, 12:35:33 AM
Don't bother shooting a pit bull with a 9mm.  It has no effect.  The 9mm is a glorified and very expensive bb gun.  The 5.56 should have the desired effect on target.

??? I'll take a shot from the BB gun any day over a 115 to 147 grain peice of lead coming at me at 950 to 1100 feet per second. There are a lot of choices in ammunition for a 9mm firearm and I don't want to be on the receiving end of any of them.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Stonewall

Just sprayed the poop out of him with my OC spray.  Didn't phase him one bit.

Snapped a few pics.

This morning there was only one fence panel missing.  Then I nailed the wood there, but now there are 3 panels missing and the dog chewed through the wood.  Love thy neighbor!

Serving since 1987.

pixelwonk

a2capt

If they bring the dog in the house... get a few Chili-Cheese dip bowls and spread the wealth..

not as bad as chocolate .. but .. the results are quite amusing. ;)

star1151

Ok, that's one scary looking dog...but it's not his fault!  Don't shoot it.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Stonewall on December 03, 2007, 01:20:03 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 03, 2007, 12:35:33 AM
Don't bother shooting a pit bull with a 9mm.  It has no effect.  The 9mm is a glorified and very expensive bb gun.  The 5.56 should have the desired effect on target.

I'm no ballistics expert, but several guys on my department have killed more than a handful of dogs, fox, and even a deer hit by a car flopping around in the street with a 9mm.  Only once did someone have to shoot a second shot because [she] grazed the dog's ear.

If a 9mm can kill a 225 lb man with one shot, it can kill a dog.  Remember, I'd shoot until the threat is no longer a threat.  Regardless, if it comes to it, 5.56 or 00 buck is standing by.

Once, back in 1992 or 1993, I was covering the rear of a house while the SWAT guys went in the front to serve a search warrant (the occupant of this particular piece of paradise was a burglar).  The people inside tried to goout the back, but saw me and another unit in the rear.  Then they opened the door again, and turned loose a very p.o.'ed German shepherd.  The dog went for the other officer first.  She shot it once.

The dog yelped, then went after me, now even MORE p.o.'ed than it was when it came out the door.  I shot at it three times, and later learned that 2 rounds of mine hit.

The dog then ran back into the house, but by now the SWAT team had broken down the front door.  It ran past them, and tried to bite the sergeant outside.  The sergeant ran to a police car to escape the dog.  Then the dog went after the SWAT guys back in the house.  One of the SWAT guys killed it with a 12-guage.

I can describe at least three incidents where suspects were shot with the 9mm and still fired at police.  One suspect was shot through the heart, and still fired 4 .38 rounds into a female officer.  (She survived, but was off work for over a year.)

Sorry, but based on what I have seen, I have no confidence in the 9mm.  The department I used to work for finally scrapped them in favor of the .40 caliber.
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

Have any blanks?  That might even worry the owners.  Especially with the mention of"next time" they might not be blanks. . . .  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: star1151 on December 03, 2007, 04:50:45 AM
Ok, that's one scary looking dog...but it's not his fault!  Don't shoot it.

Let me describe to you what happened today.

My wife opened the back sliding door to let our dog out, a lovable, friendly, black lab with a $3,000 back left leg.  Yes, we paid that much money to fix it's leg.  Like always, my 16 month old son is eager to go into the back and play with our dog.  To my wife's surprise, the very mean looking pitbull is growling at my dog and scares the crap out of my wife.

The dog has come at me twice.  I sprayed OC at it once, knowing that it probably wouldn't work and it didn't.  I nailed the wood where hole was and it ate through the wood.

I realize that it's the owner's fault, but no animal is worth my family living in fear, let alone getting hurt by said animal.  I am an animal lover.  I do not want to kill this dog.  What I want, is my neighbors to become civilized and realize that keeping their 2 pitbulls in the backyard with zero supervision 24/7 is not how we treat pets in this country.  Dogs do not equal the value of human life, but we have laws that forbid people from animal cruelty.  Yes, dogs can and are "outside dogs", but I am 100% confident that these dogs are neglected.

This issue only started Friday night when we first saw it in our front yard, then our back.  I hadn't seen it again until this morning (Sunday).  Called the police since I learned animal control doesn't work weekends in this city and an officer came out and started paperwork.  Later, I saw a different officer show up at the neighbor's house.  Not sure what went on, but obviously nothing changed.

I HATE that my neighbor has made me have to do this, but I have no other options.  His one mini-mutt dog that roams freely in the street already cost me a $350 window when my lab charged at it through my front window back in October.  Luckily my dog wasn't hurt, but my wallet was.  Even back then, I couldn't get them to come outside when I knocked on their door.  5, 6, 7 cars our front and no one answers the door.  Same with today.  I will not live in fear and I will do what I have to do.  If it becomes awkward for my family to have to see their trashy, nasty, dumba$$ family, so be it, their loss.  They are the one and only family on our street that has any issues.  Pisses me off!
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 03, 2007, 04:59:03 AM
Once, back in 1992 or 1993, I was covering the rear of a house while the SWAT guys went in the front to serve a search warrant (the occupant of this particular piece of paradise was a burglar).  The people inside tried to goout the back, but saw me and another unit in the rear.  Then they opened the door again, and turned loose a very p.o.'ed German shepherd.  The dog went for the other officer first.  She shot it once.

The dog yelped, then went after me, now even MORE p.o.'ed than it was when it came out the door.  I shot at it three times, and later learned that 2 rounds of mine hit.

The dog then ran back into the house, but by now the SWAT team had broken down the front door.  It ran past them, and tried to bite the sergeant outside.  The sergeant ran to a police car to escape the dog.  Then the dog went after the SWAT guys back in the house.  One of the SWAT guys killed it with a 12-guage.

I can describe at least three incidents where suspects were shot with the 9mm and still fired at police.  One suspect was shot through the heart, and still fired 4 .38 rounds into a female officer.  (She survived, but was off work for over a year.)

Sorry, but based on what I have seen, I have no confidence in the 9mm.  The department I used to work for finally scrapped them in favor of the .40 caliber.

Point taken and appreciated.  Like humans, they can withstand many direct hits from 9mm, .40 cal, and even .45.  Heck, numerous hits by 5.56 are survivable.  I don't have a .40 here, I just pack my 147 grain +P+ JHPs in my G19.  I'll keep my Remington 870 and/or M4 close by so as not to draw attention from the neighbors.  But when I went out to nail the wood to the fence, I just had my G19 with me.  At a minimum, 15 rounds would have done something, hopefully killed the mutt, but at least stop him so I can retreat to the house.  I'm no scaredy cat, but I'm not stupid either.  At age 12, I was bit in the face by a dog whose owner couldn't control it, even on a leash.  It jumped up biting my face.  The bottom part of it's mouth actually went into my mouth (I know, very weird) and clamped down on the roof of my mouth while his upper jaw/snout big down on my face.  I was very lucky.  Only a few stitches and a fer faint scar today.  I still love all animals, but I don't trust anyones' but my own.
Serving since 1987.

jeders

I love dogs and would take in strays to save them if I didn't live in a small apartment. I do whatever I can to protect dogs when I see them (including finding cats for them to eat  ;D).

If I were in your place, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that dog as many times as necessary if I thought that it was endangering my family. And in my experience, no the cops won't do a thing if you shoot a neighbors dog that threatens you. In Lubbock last year a couple of cops shot a dog on the street that they thought had rabies, it didn't.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Stonewall on November 07, 2007, 10:18:48 PM
On a side note, a Navy HM earned the Silver Star for actions in Iraq when he saved many Marines and killed many bad guys.

Is a Navy HM ALLOWED to kill MANY bad guys?

It was my understanding that medical personnel STILL went unarmed and were captured then indentured to care for wounded POWs with the assistance of supplies brought through the lines by the Red Cross/ Cresent. (According to the Geneva Conventions; had there been a change?)
Then again, considering the current oppositions failure to abide by the rules of civilized warfare, I can understand the reason you would arm a medic with an M4 carbine or M9 pistol.  :-\
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Fifinella

Kirt,

A while back a friend's dog was attacked by the neighbor's pit who came through the back fence.  Here's some forwarded advice on how others have dealt with similar situations (aggressive neighbor dog) (most of them live in the country, not suburbia).

Document everything.  Try to get pictures of their side of the fence/their back yard in addition to the pictures of your side.  Talk to a lawyer to find out local codes, actions you can take.  If you feel you can't keep your composure if you talk face to face about the situation with your neighbor, send a letter (certified, if necessary).

Install a remote motion-activated detector in your yard that sounds an alarm in the house if there are any unwanted "visitors".

Install cement blocks, the kind you use for retaining walls that interlock along sections of the fence.

double fence the part of your yard that adjoins this neighbors and put some type of deterent between the fences - my inclination is towards razor wire! Maybe just a severly thorny shrub between their fence and the new fence you put up.

Put chicken wire or combination stock panels on the ground under the fence to prevent digging!
/Or cattle panel. Bought the 16' lengths and cut them down to about 1' tall by 16' long. Then I dug a narrow trench about 12" deep just inside my fenceline and sunk the panel pieces in.
/We just put them on the ground and tacked them in with landscaping nails. The grass grows through it and you can mow over it./ We use stock panels that are full height because our fence is away from the property line and we want more protection, but you can also use pig panels which are shorter./the panels don't have to be on top of the ground. You can rake up an inch or two of soil, lay the panels down, and cover them./ Pig Panels and have them bent to a 90 degree. Tack one side of the 90 to the fence and then tack the other 90 to the ground. A little sand and grass seed... good to go!

Just a few ideas to keep that dog out of your yard while you work toward resolution.

Praying for the safety of your family & pet,

Judy
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SAR-EMT1

Also, some vet clinics and pet stores have a spray that will deter animals like this pitbull.  You apply it to the OUTSIDE of your fence. The oder can be sensed by animals with smell better then ours. I think if you spray the INSIDE of the fence it might keep the pitbull from leaving (if he gets back in) and might keep your lab from going outside.
Or you could always electrify your fence. - two wires, four inches off the ground offset by one inch horizontally.   ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Stonewall

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on December 03, 2007, 06:34:51 AM
On a side note, a Navy HM earned the Silver Star for actions in Iraq when he saved many Marines and killed many bad guys.

It was my understanding that medical personnel STILL went unarmed and were captured then indentured to care for wounded POWs with the assistance of supplies brought through the lines by the Red Cross/ Cresent. (According to the Geneva Conventions; had there been a change?)
Then again, considering the current oppositions failure to abide by the rules of civilized warfare, I can understand the reason you would arm a medic with an M4 carbine or M9 pistol.  :-\

Totally posted in the wrong thread...
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on December 03, 2007, 06:34:51 AM

Off topic, I know, but a historical teaching point nonetheless.

Navy hospital corpsmen have not been issued nor have they worn the Red Cross brassard since Guadalcanal.  At Guadalcanal, it was apparent that the Japanese (NOT signatories to the Geneva Accords) were targeting medical personnel.  In Vietnam, I was issued a .45, but the training guidance we got at Field Medical Service School was to keep the .45 concealed, carry an M-16, and keep your medical gear in a grenade bag rather than your Unit-1.  In other words, look as much like a Marine infantryman as you can.  Snipers in Vietnam were known to target medics, officers, and radio operators.  Everyone important is carrying a .45, usually.

I was not assigned to an infantry unit, so I never had to use that advice.  But the Geneva rules still allow for medical personnel to be armed to defend themselves and their patients against an unlawful attack.
Another former CAP officer

Duke Dillio

Hey Kirt, here's how you take care of the problem.  Get a dog bowl and fill it with antifreeze.  Then place said dog bowl near the open hole.  Observe said problem dog drinking antifreeze.  Problem solved.

mikeylikey

Quote from: sargrunt on December 03, 2007, 03:58:05 PM
Hey Kirt, here's how you take care of the problem.  Get a dog bowl and fill it with antifreeze.  Then place said dog bowl near the open hole.  Observe said problem dog drinking antifreeze.  Problem solved.

And then be like "your dog should not have been in my yard".  Could this work on the neighbors as well?  Perhaps.
What's up monkeys?

Cecil DP

Having you considered getting a humane animal trap and capturing the mutt. Than when the Animal Control comes around you'll have ready him for delivery to the pound. I'm sure that Jax or Duval County will then be able to fine them an apropriate amount. Don't forget that they are also liable for the fence. Get an estimate and have it sent to them, along with a reminder that they'll pay this everytime their dog comes calling.  
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85