Main Menu

Neighbor Problems

Started by Stonewall, November 06, 2007, 11:18:16 PM

What would you do?

Blow it off, there ain't nuthin wrong with it.
1 (1.7%)
Confront the home owner politely.
30 (50.8%)
Call the cops since the tags are expired.
16 (27.1%)
Put a note on the car
2 (3.4%)
Slash the tires.
10 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 59

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

A new turn with my neighbors...

So, I got the car issued sort of squared away.  At least they moved the clunker into their driveway and covered it up.  Only after I had a buddy come over in his cop car and run the tags and the owner came home.  But still, as I type this, there are two more cars parked in front of my house, but at least they aren't broken down and too nasty looking.

NOW, there is a new dog issue.  While their dog "Freedom" still roams around the street pooping in peoples' lawns and barking throughout the night, they brought it 2 new dogs, probably their sons'.  A big male pitbull and a puppy.  The male, nuts hanging and all, is solid muscle and very mean looking.  Enough to scare the poop out of someone when it pops up in my backyard Friday night as my wife holds the baby and lets out our friendly black lab.  She quickly shut the door and called me. 

Not knowing who it belonged to and never have seen it before, I light it up with my TLR-1 light attached to my glock.  Not wanting to kill a dog as I'm an animal lover, I call animal control but by the time they got here I looked the fool because it was no where to be found.

This morning, as we had guests over for sunday breakfast, all of the sudden the dog popped up.  My dog freaks out and chases it through a hole in the fence we didn't know we had.  This is when I learn it's my neighbor's dog.  And of course, they aren't home.

I go to nail a piece of wood over the hole and the pitbull starts tearing at the other wood panels aggressively trying to get at me. In about 30 minutes there will be another hole in my fence and dog with either a 5.56 or 9mm in it's head.  Haven't decided.  M4 is probably better because I can shoot from the safety of my porch as it makes entry and it'll be more accurate.

15 houses on my block, and only one family causes this much of a ruckass.  I think it's going to get nasty here.
Serving since 1987.

Major Lord

Apropos of nothing whatsoever at all, dogs love chocolate, which is extremely toxic to them.....and quieter than a .223 round....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

star1151

Sigh...I feel sorry for the dogs.  Your neighbors are idiots.

mikeylikey

^ Agreed!  Perhaps Kirt.....time to move to a "higher class hood".
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 02, 2007, 06:50:50 PM
^ Agreed!  Perhaps Kirt.....time to move to a "higher class hood".

Dude, my hood is fine.  It's totally middle to upper-middle class.  Got a doctor living across the street, airline pilot, and some retired folks.  Only one bad apple, my neighbor.

Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Pehaps he has unusually high electric and water bills for a small indoor gardening hobby....

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ Not bad.......if your neighbors house "mysteriously" burned down......$$??   >:D :angel:
What's up monkeys?

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: RiverAux on December 02, 2007, 07:11:55 PM
Pehaps he has unusually high electric and water bills for a small indoor gardening hobby....

I wouldn't rule that out. I grew up in a decent neighborhood that's yet to succumb to local trends; the house behind my folks' place was busted a few months ago for exactly the same thing. While the parents went back to India for an extended visit, their Ivy League grad son decided to convert their house into an indoor greenhouse for cannabis. The only reason it was discovered was that the fire alarm in the house went off from an overheated grow light.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

star1151

I don't mean to offend anyone by asking this, but....is he a renter?  If so, maybe a call to his landlord is in order.

Stonewall

No, he owns the house.  The owner is a good guy, but I think he lacks the ability to understand that others around him may not be happy with certain things that he thinks are the norm.  Plus, as I said before, most issues weren't issues until the two kids (son and daughter, both adults) came back to live with him.  Number of cars increased from 3 or 4 to 6 or 7, plus increased activity (i.e. friends always over, lots of cars parked, music, other noise), and more trash in the lawn.
Serving since 1987.

Lancer

Talk to surrounding neighbors, get thier opinions of the situation, if it's bothering you, it's obviously bothering them. There is power in numbers. Determine if they are in vilolation of any city codes. and contact the respective departments; Animal Control, Parking Enforcement, Health Dept, etc.

Start having all your neighbors who are bothered by this guy make calls as well. The city/county will get so tired of the calls they'll  be all over this family to get their respective 'stuff' together.

It's hard not to want to put a 'hole' in different things of your neighbors, but that's your fastest way to have your backside in the back of a cop car instead of your neighbors.

Stonewall

Quote from: Lancer on December 02, 2007, 08:15:24 PMIt's hard not to want to put a 'hole' in different things of your neighbors, but that's your fastest way to have your backside in the back of a cop car instead of your neighbors.

Well, being a cop (in a different jurisdiciton), I still know all the cops in the zone that I live in and are buds with them.  They're all like "you know how to articulate shooting the [darn] dog, just do it...but you didn't hear it from me :-)".

My biggest issue is this is my neighbor; I have to live with them next door and the last thing I want/need is hostilities.  Unfortunately, my dream of having understanding neighbors who respect their properterty, the HOA rules and the law as much as I do just isn't the case today.  I'm one for a fight and conflict when it's worth the cause.  Keeps me on my toes.  But as they say good fences make great neighbors
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Maybe just approach the kids, and be like "listen, your not a homeowner here, we would appreciate you knocking off the stuff we don't like".  "I have young kids, we don't have any problem with you living here, but your cars, music, friends over at all hours are starting to be a disruption".

Honestly, I don't know how to say stuff to people without coming off as a COMPLETE  A-Hole, so good luck there.

If all else fails, get a beater truck from the junkyard and park it in one of their spots, blast some AC/DC at 330AM, paint your house pink, cut the grass in nothing but boxers, burn whatever you can in your backyard (beer cases, pizza boxes), start a raunchy smelling compost pile, and start driving your neighbors out of their minds. 

It is a two way street (civility, that is)
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 02, 2007, 11:23:46 PMHonestly, I don't know how to say stuff to people without coming off as a COMPLETE  A-Hole, so good luck there.

My biggest fault as well.  I've practiced not being a complete a-hole by throwing a smile on my face, but it doesn't work.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ Then you are just an A-hole that is asking to be punched in the face.

After the guy punches me....."I punched you not because I hate you, but because you had that stupid grin on your face while you said what you said". 

Been there as well. 

What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2007, 11:52:46 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 02, 2007, 11:23:46 PMHonestly, I don't know how to say stuff to people without coming off as a COMPLETE  A-Hole, so good luck there.

My biggest fault as well.  I've practiced not being a complete a-hole by throwing a smile on my face, but it doesn't work.

Just think of it this way Colonel, that dog is a hundred pounds of learn, aggressively muscle. If it tried to get at you, it'll try to get at someone else.

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2007, 04:58:06 PM
A new turn with my neighbors...

So, I got the car issued sort of squared away.  At least they moved the clunker into their driveway and covered it up.  Only after I had a buddy come over in his cop car and run the tags and the owner came home.  But still, as I type this, there are two more cars parked in front of my house, but at least they aren't broken down and too nasty looking.

NOW, there is a new dog issue.  While their dog "Freedom" still roams around the street pooping in peoples' lawns and barking throughout the night, they brought it 2 new dogs, probably their sons'.  A big male pitbull and a puppy.  The male, nuts hanging and all, is solid muscle and very mean looking.  Enough to scare the poop out of someone when it pops up in my backyard Friday night as my wife holds the baby and lets out our friendly black lab.  She quickly shut the door and called me. 

Not knowing who it belonged to and never have seen it before, I light it up with my TLR-1 light attached to my glock.  Not wanting to kill a dog as I'm an animal lover, I call animal control but by the time they got here I looked the fool because it was no where to be found.

This morning, as we had guests over for sunday breakfast, all of the sudden the dog popped up.  My dog freaks out and chases it through a hole in the fence we didn't know we had.  This is when I learn it's my neighbor's dog.  And of course, they aren't home.

I go to nail a piece of wood over the hole and the pitbull starts tearing at the other wood panels aggressively trying to get at me. In about 30 minutes there will be another hole in my fence and dog with either a 5.56 or 9mm in it's head.  Haven't decided.  M4 is probably better because I can shoot from the safety of my porch as it makes entry and it'll be more accurate.

15 houses on my block, and only one family causes this much of a ruckass.  I think it's going to get nasty here.

Don't bother shooting a pit bull with a 9mm.  It has no effect.  The 9mm is a glorified and very expensive bb gun.  The 5.56 should have the desired effect on target.
Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 03, 2007, 12:35:33 AM
Don't bother shooting a pit bull with a 9mm.  It has no effect.  The 9mm is a glorified and very expensive bb gun.  The 5.56 should have the desired effect on target.

I'm no ballistics expert, but several guys on my department have killed more than a handful of dogs, fox, and even a deer hit by a car flopping around in the street with a 9mm.  Only once did someone have to shoot a second shot because [she] grazed the dog's ear.

If a 9mm can kill a 225 lb man with one shot, it can kill a dog.  Remember, I'd shoot until the threat is no longer a threat.  Regardless, if it comes to it, 5.56 or 00 buck is standing by.
Serving since 1987.