Main Menu

squadron website

Started by Heather, August 04, 2006, 04:51:25 PM

rjfoxx

The website is OK, however one of the links leads to a squadron forum that has a foreign host.  The forum is hosted in Poland and I see the possiblity of serious OPSEC violations.  Forum entries so far seem to be safe, but there are only 8 members.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

elipod

Quote from: rjfoxx on May 25, 2011, 05:26:27 PM
The website is OK, however one of the links leads to a squadron forum that has a foreign host.  The forum is hosted in Poland and I see the possiblity of serious OPSEC violations.  Forum entries so far seem to be safe, but there are only 8 members.

Good point. One of my cadets made the forum (with my permission) for the cadets in my squadron to ask questions and get answers.
However, I was not aware that it was hosted by a server in Poland! Looks like I have something to deal with..
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

elipod

I like that, Eclipse. "123456"
:P

vento

Per CAPR 110-1, you may want to make sure the disclaimer is on your website. Something like:
"Links or references to individuals or companies does not constitute an endorsement of any information, product or service you may receive from such sources."

elipod

I revamped the website again.

Please take a look, and tell me what you think.

www.cap207.com

PhoenixRisen

Looks good -- but the embedded squadron calendar at the bottom of the index page is coming up as a missing page.

A.Member

Quote from: elipod on August 22, 2011, 06:22:54 PM
I revamped the website again.

Please take a look, and tell me what you think.

www.cap207.com
So, are you really going to let just anybody submit an attendance form for your meetings?   It's open to the public.  I just sent a response indicating that I won't be there because I'm not a member.  Fortunately, I'm "nice".  What if I actually want to inject some SQL there...hmmm?!  I recommend reconsidering.

Why republish National forms/info?  And you do know that cadet master records are now maintained in e-Services, right?

As mentioned, calendar is problematic.

Closer but still some work to do...

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

elipod

I understand, but I dont have a way to password protect a page. I'm not sure how.

A.Member

Quote from: elipod on August 22, 2011, 06:59:44 PM
I understand, but I dont have a way to password protect a page. I'm not sure how.
Then get rid of it.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

elipod

I have found it MORE than useful for my squadron. It gets rid of the old days of telephone call outs. I just need to find a way to secure it.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: elipod on August 22, 2011, 08:06:12 PM
I have found it MORE than useful for my squadron. It gets rid of the old days of telephone call outs. I just need to find a way to secure it.

Today, we have email.

a2capt

The telephone call outs work great and ensure a positive communicating environment between the flight staff and it's members. :)

JC004

Put it in its own directory, look up .htaccess password protection.  Very easy to do.  Just download Notepad++ to create the .htaccess password files.

jimmydeanno

The photos flashing on the mainpage, I'd suggest rewording the "Emergency Services" section.  We don't do 85% of the SAR in the country.  The 85% stat was "as tasked by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center" not "all SAR."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

vento

And also the first picture on the home page is showing a mirror image, therefore we see a cadet saluting with his left arm and wearing his ribbon on the right chest...  :angel:

JC004

You need to collect old pictures from the last 10 years and post them.  Do not ask why.  Just get it done.  Quickly. 

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: JC004 on August 22, 2011, 09:26:20 PM
Put it in its own directory, look up .htaccess password protection.  Very easy to do.  Just download Notepad++ to create the .htaccess password files.

I tried that with my unit's website here in CAWG.  Aparrently our servers don't support it.  I thought that was one of the most basic things you could do...?

JC004

If you couldn't, you were probably on a WINDOWS server.

By the way, one of the former 207 cadets from long ago likes the site.

a2capt

IIS doesn't support it universally, if at all a lot of the times.
Apache does.
Guess which that CAWG server at that time was using? :)

.. and it still is, for some people at least.

elipod

Quote from: JC004 on August 23, 2011, 12:06:58 AM
You need to collect old pictures from the last 10 years and post them.  Do not ask why.  Just get it done.  Quickly.

post them. On here? or the website.
as much as my curiosity is trying to kill me, I wont ask why.