Main Menu

squadron website

Started by Heather, August 04, 2006, 04:51:25 PM

jeders

Quote from: C/Conlin on April 20, 2011, 02:46:53 AM
Another good example:
http://capemay.njwg.cap.gov/

By good example, do you mean good example of what not to do?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

researchdoc

Quote from: 321EOD on April 20, 2011, 02:35:21 AM
We've used google apps education edition for the last couple of years - here is the thread:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=10989.msg205211#msg205211

Our front page is lame at the moment - as we are suffering the same resource issues you mentioned (I took over as DCC and haven't found someone to take over as web admin!) Check out some of the sub pages

Google apps is free to 501(c)(3) and is more than just a website - it has online document management, calendaring  and email address list management too.

Is there a standard way to sign up for Google for nonprofits and then the education upgrade for each squadron?
Is the employer ID the same for all of CAP, WHERE DO I GET THAT NUMBER?   As PAO or any squadron staff member, would that suffice as the primary attached google account and also suffice as a legal representative for being able to obtain the nonprofit and education services from Google?
Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

Eclipse

No standard way.

I just sent one of the national tax letters and a memo on unit letterhead.  I think the Wing CC also substantiated our non-profit status.  It wasn't onerous.

The commander should be the person signing everything, at a minimum.  One could make the argument it should be the Wing CC since this is a contract, though mine was not concerned about it.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

As the unit PAO (who has little time to spend on developing an award winning website OR really any site for that matter due just being tired from workplace use of a computer daily), what I see as most likely to get completed   is just a plain site that give unit information (contacts, meeting times, any restrictions on access, etc), perhaps a calendar of events, and a report/story (with pictures) of what the squadron has done has accomplished as far as activities.   The complete information should direct the individual back to the National CAP website main page http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

I think when one looks around the web (even at wing websites), many become unmaintained and out of date because the "artist" webmaster leaves or get tired of it, etc, etc.  So my advice is to just keep it VERY simple.   Prospective members do know how to do google searches or you can cross reference it in one of CAP's provided cadet or senior brochures (unit contact information on bottom of brochure).

Someone I know very well in CAP may be floating a proposal (via the respective wing PAO) to National that they maintain a website for news from each wing that would allow someone to see all the news for a particular wing.  Likely the Wing PAO or whoever is designated would determine what gets posted to the national site.       

Again personally, I wouldn't get carried away with to much fantasy stuff, keep it simple with basic information.

RM

Huey Driver

Quote from: jeders on April 20, 2011, 04:32:13 PM
Quote from: C/Conlin on April 20, 2011, 02:46:53 AM
Another good example:
http://capemay.njwg.cap.gov/

By good example, do you mean good example of what not to do?

^^Yes. Ehh my sarcasm could of been stronger ::)
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

meganite

I got space on DreamHost, free for 501(c)(3) organizations. Just follow their instructions. It's detailed in this post: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=11244.msg206495#msg206495

(By the way, if anyone wants to throw rocks at my website, here it is: http://www.whsabre.com )

elipod

Hello All,

I made a website for my Squadron. I would like some input! :P

www.cap207.com

What do you all think?
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

davidsinn

Quote from: elipod on May 12, 2011, 07:39:07 PM
Hello All,

www.cap207.com

What do you all think?

Lose the chat because it's pointless and for the love of mike take the cadet's contact information off a public website.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

^ Ditto, plus you're probably asking for trouble with the forums, but K-Sarah on that (misspelled "whether" on one of them).
The ability to comment is also a minefield.

"That Others May Zoom"

elipod

Okay, got it! I knew I would get responses along those lines :P

Whats wrong with the forum though?

As far as the contact information, its up to my cadets if they want their information private or not.

davidsinn

Quote from: elipod on May 12, 2011, 08:13:05 PM

As far as the contact information, its up to my cadets if they want their information private or not.

Being minors it's not up to them. It's up to the parents. It's still a bad idea to post that info.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

elipod

Okay Dokey =D

What do you think about the site though? I mean, cosmetically.

Eclipse

The fact that you knew you'd get responses "along those lines" should be the first clue.  Common sense is a gift from the Lord, do not ignore it.

If the forum is restricted to unit members and access is verified, that is one thing, however anything open to the public that invites comment
is a bad idea as you will have little control as to what is written - the first comment to your post about having a website is a good example.

As to contact info, you have to check with parents, but it's a bad idea.   At a minimum that should be behind a password.

All of this assumes you have been given a mandate by your Squadron CC to create a website in the first place.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: elipod on May 12, 2011, 07:39:07 PM
Hello All,

www.cap207.com

What do you all think?

Several thoughts:

1) Get rid of the squirrel. While it might be your squadron mascot it only serves to confuse potential members visiting your site (mostly because it looks out of place). Remember, your website might be the first thing someone sees about CAP or your squadron.

2) You shouldn't have to explain the site in the first paragraph of the homepage. If you do, you haven't designed the site correctly. It should be self-evident what the site is supposed to do.

3) The "Join CAP" page is far too busy. Furthermore, simply give the email address of your recruiting officer or squadron commander as a point of contact. Don't make people jump through stupid forms. (See 11)

4) Nix the forum. If nobody uses it, it's the fastest way to make the site feel outdated and will serve to drive away potential members.

5) Nix the chat for all the reasons already mentioned.

6) Nix the cadet contact info for all the reasons already mentioned.

7) The fact that you only show the cadet chain of command tells me that you don't have the proper perspective for this site. Remember, there's a whole other half of that chain that you left out.

8) Consider eliminating the chain of command altogether. A potential member doesn't necessarily need to know it, and it only serves to confuse them on who to contact for more information. You want a single point of contact that presents a single "face of CAP", preferably your PAO, recruiting officer, or CC. While it's useful for current members there's other ways to distribute your org chart that doesn't serve to confuse potential members.

9) Reconsider some of the photographs you have posted. While the photos with the ambulance are nice photos that show cadets doing something fun, it can also paint the wrong picture about what CAP does.

10) Consider a .org domain name. They're both equal in price but they say different things.

11) Where is your squadron at again? You don't give a state. I'm guessing that you're in PAWG based on many things but you telling me isn't one of them. Ideally this should be located with contact information and should be on the front page to the left. (See 3)

12) Why isn't your flight staff doing a callout every week?

13) What are PTUs?

14) Marquees are obsolete. I think that tag has been depreciated for upwards of a decade.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else...

EDIT: 15) What's with the dark color scheme? At least use something brighter, preferably incorporating CAP's colors (though the one that I've been putting off rolling out at my squadron doesn't use R/W/B either, but it's brighter at least)

A.Member

^ To add to that and sum it up in a sentence:  Know why you're creating a website and who your audience will be. 

It doesn't appear that you've got that nailed down yet.   Once you understand the audience, that will drive your content.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

disamuel

Just for future reference I found this site some time ago that was a big help in starting a local squadron's website:

http://www.ncrpao.org/resources/wsb/index.htm

You can easily download the template, and then modify it as needed. It was a help to me as a squadron IT officer.

elipod

Thank you all for your advice. I will take it to heart!

P.S. I did have a mandate from my Squadron CC to create the website.

JC004

I remember when that patch came into existence...  Those were the days for 207. 

Agree to ditch chat.  I think that I agree with everything Spaceman said.  Over a decade of developing websites and I've made plenty of mistakes, learning a lot of new techniques.  Plus, standards have changed.  I look back at sites that I did even 1 or 2 years ago and think "there's NO WAY I'd do a site that way now."  It's trial and error, trying to keep up with the times.  Killing the marquee is a good way to stay up with this decade.  HA.

It is NOT up to the cadets.  You will also find that Wing HQ will not be happy with cadet contact information on the website.  This caused quite a stir before, it was established as policy, and was the reason we began assigning wing e-mail addresses (thus allowing cadets to have an e-mail address posted but not post a personal address).

Also, CAPR 110-1:
Quote7. Personal Information. Personal information regarding CAP members or employees, including but not limited to, social security number, residence address, date of birth, should only be made available through CAP internet operations to those individuals who have a specific need to have such information for official CAP business only. When this information is placed on a web server as part of a CAP internet operation, reasonable security, such as password access, should be implemented to protect the information.

Nuke the favicon and use a different one.  There's no way to determine what that is supposed to be.  Maybe just use a keystone.  There are plenty of favicon generators that make that easy.

elipod

I have made most all of the changes you all have 'suggested'. Please take a look again, and I am open to more advice.

I changed the color scheme from black, to more neutral colors.

Cadet contact information is not on there now, except for Squadron CC and Cadet CC. I am the cadet CC, and it is in my discretion to have my contact info in there.

Chat is ditched.

Different favicon.

www.cap207.com

PhoenixRisen

IMO, I've never been a fan of the "Welcome to our site -- please look around" stuff on the homepage.  Isn't that what people go there to do in the first place?  I just think it could serve a better purpose, such as recent event write-ups, announcements, etc.

YMMV.

That aside, nice site!