Main Menu

Red Dawn (the movie)

Started by MikeD, January 11, 2009, 08:11:42 AM

Timbo

I got it.....CANADA!  They already hate the United States.  They even have that "Department of Canadian Patriotism".  They believe we (The United States) influences their culture too much.  Well if their culture wasn't so lame they wouldn't have to worry.  But yes....Canada.  They invade Washington State from those islands off the Coast that they occupy already (why aren't those ours again??).  They take Seattle in a matter of minutes when they stop the flow of Starbucks Coffee to the Caffeine addicts.  They then move East and eventually stop in the Dakotas when they figure out that it sucks just as much there as it did in their own country (cold and bleak....right?!?!).

The movie ends with our hockey teams joining forces to combat their teams and we blow up the CN Tower.  Ah....reminds of that movie.....Canadian Bacon.

Canadian Bacon.....thats not really bacon.  Don't get confused by their propaganda. 

Hows that.  In 1 minute I totally ruined the movie for you.  No need to go see it now!

Red Dawn.......makes me think of China.  The whole "Red" and "Dawn" are parts of their Communist fable.  That is OK....lets buy more of their junk and let them buy more of our debt.  Then we can sell them the Panama Canal and maybe the moon.

I seriously digress.           

RogueLeader

Quote from: Stonewall on January 12, 2009, 01:48:38 PM
Fun Factoid:  Red Dawn was the first PG-13 movie.

Sorry, that credit goes to "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"  Prior to that there was no PG-13
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 12, 2009, 11:25:23 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on January 12, 2009, 01:48:38 PM
Fun Factoid:  Red Dawn was the first PG-13 movie.

Sorry, that credit goes to "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"  Prior to that there was no PG-13

In 1984, explicit violence in the PG-rated films Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Gremlins were "the straws that broke the parents' backs". Their complaints led Hollywood figure Steven Spielberg, director of Temple of Doom and producer of Gremlins, to suggest a new rating, PG-14, to MPAA president Jack Valenti. Instead, on conferring with cinema owners, Mr Valenti and the MPAA on July 1, 1984, introduced the PG-13 rating, allowing in children under 13 years of age without a parent or an adult guardian, but warning parents about potentially shocking violence, cursing, and mature subject matter that may be inappropriate for children under 13; though weaker than an R rating, PG-13 is the strongest unrestricted rating. The first widely-distributed PG-13 movie was Red Dawn (1984), followed by Dreamscape (1984), and The Flamingo Kid (1984), although The Flamingo Kid was the first film so rated by the board.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was released in the US 23 May 1984, but the PG-13 rating came out 1 July 1984.
Serving since 1987.

FlexCoder

QuoteI'm really wondering how they would update the movie since there is no rival superpower to invade the US, unless they devise some sort of military alliance of Middle Eastern nations or the like.

Don't always believe what the media tends to portray and never underestimate the enemy, Russia & China are superpowers and have very sophisticated military technology and equipment.  Check out the pictures of the Russian military when they invaded Georgia, they weren't using outdated junk.  Communist propaganda in Russia & China is notorious for getting the masses & media to believe they have disintegrated but in fact, all these years, they are really building a strong, high tech & powerful military machine.  If you look at the current trends and other news sources besides Fox & CNN, you will see that both of those countries are preparing for a future conflict or war.  It is very similar to when Germany & Japan were preparing for WWII, collecting mass resources, controlling resources & wealth, developing military equipment in large quantity, building sophisticated military bases & bunkers, large scale  military exercises and so on.   China just finished a state of the art submarine base http://www.janes.com/news/security/jir/jir080421_1_n.shtml  Plus, China has 125 million plus man army.    Why would any country need that many soldiers, hint - future invasion, USA, EU, Israel - all possible targets.     

Russia wants world domination and they won't allow the USA/EU to control the world forever.    What's even more alarming is the fact that Russia, Iran, China, Venezuela, etc have been conducting over 100 military air & ground force exercises near the US borders this past Fall.    For example, the Russians say they are practicing drug trafficking & anti-terrorism exercises (yeah right, why the need of Russians!) - http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2008-12/2008-12-01-voa67.cfm?CFID=92698320&CFTOKEN=14582545&jsessionid=6630fb37af5a8e9ff596502d67c735d604a5   As a result, Bush reestablished the 4th USN Fleet to patrol the Gulf & Carribean.     http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=36606  You never hear about this on CNN/Fox except maybe as tiny news tidbits though.        In 2 to 8 years, we may have a Red Dawn and be caught by surprise because most US citizens believe America is untouchable to a large scale invasion.  And CAP may end up be a co-star in a real world Red Dawn but most of us hope that never happens.    It's imperative that we stay alert & be aware of the facts or we may have another "Pearl Harbor" attack with our pants down again.

Sleepwalker

Red Dawn came out when I was a young teenager living in the mountains of Colorado.  My friends and I loved outdoor adventures and camping, so we loved the movie.  We developed a plan in case the US were really ever invaded, we would meet at such-and-such place in the mountains with all our gear and become freedom fighters, just like Charlie Sheen and Patrick Swayze.  Rediculous?  Probably, but it made us feel cool.       
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

Sleepwalker

My favorite line from the movie?  When Powers Booth was suspected of being a KGB spy instead of an F-15 pilot:

"Are you American?"

"Red blooded." (he shows his flag patch).

"Oh yeah?  Then what's the Capitol of Texas?"

"Austin"

"Wrong Commie!  It's Houston!" (she cocks the rifle and points it in his face). 
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

PlaneFlyr

Never heard that about Red Dawn, but it's feasible.  Personally, I think it would have been cool to get the CAP name out there.

The only CAP reference I can recall is in "Project X" when Broderick's character is reporting to his new boss and mentions having been a CAP cadet.
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

Stonewall

Quote from: Sleepwalker on January 13, 2009, 01:28:30 PM
  We developed a plan in case the US were really ever invaded, we would meet at such-and-such place in the mountains with all our gear and become freedom fighters, just like Charlie Sheen and Patrick Swayze.  Rediculous?  Probably, but it made us feel cool.       

Heck, I was a teen back then too.  My best friend who is a doctor now still makes fun of me for having my contingency gear packed and ready to go when the "Big Bear" attacked.  I had a big Boy Scout back pack (with external frame) with canned food, survival equipment, and a pocket knife and I was ready.  Before I was a cadet in CAP even.

As an adult who was smack dab in the middle of it on 9/11 when I was a few minutes from the Pentagon and saw the initial plume of smoke, I had a contingency plan already set up and put into action with a friend.

Later, with another friend, we planned a primary and alternate link up site in case an attack occurred in DC again, this time with routes, alternate routes, equipment lists, and plans for our wives to meet and fight our way out of DC into the Shenandoah Mountains or West Virginia.  Ahhhh...fun times, being a grown adult with an imagination.

Serving since 1987.

Pumbaa

Anyone notice that the Col. had plastic encased rank on his zoom bag?

jimmydeanno

The AF used to wear them. 

AF used to wear Green Fatiques with Ultra-Marine blue nametapes too, and at the same time we did!

There's another example of the plastic insignia in "Iron Eagle."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAPLAW

Quote from: Pumbaa on January 13, 2009, 08:56:22 PM
Anyone notice that the Col. had plastic encased rank on his zoom bag?

He is cool like us
Also the Colonel (B. Powers) played a B-52 pilot in DAWNS EARLY LIGHT

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: PlaneFlyr on January 13, 2009, 02:13:11 PM
Never heard that about Red Dawn, but it's feasible.  Personally, I think it would have been cool to get the CAP name out there.

The only CAP reference I can recall is in "Project X" when Broderick's character is reporting to his new boss and mentions having been a CAP cadet.

I heard that CAP did not get to make the call on supporting Red Dawn.  The DoD nixed any support due to the scene where the tied-up Russian prisoner is executed.  CAP did deny support to Iron Eagle.  Probably so as not to encourage enterprising cadets from attempting such a move themselves.
Another former CAP officer

Timbo

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 14, 2009, 11:01:56 PM
CAP did deny support to Iron Eagle.  Probably so as not to encourage enterprising cadets from attempting such a move themselves.

Or our leaders at the time wanted some $$ from the film.  You would be surprised how money plays a big factor in things so seemingly small such as not including CAP in a movie reference. 

alamrcn

Release dates of 1984 movies with PG-13 ratings...
Gremlins - June 8
Red Dawn - August 10
Dreamscape -August 15

Anywho, I distinctly remember reading an article at my daycare <g!> about the new PG-13 rating. They changed the rating of Gremlins from PG right after it was released, and still in the theater. Seems all the kiddies going to see the cute, cuddly creatures weren't expecting angry, green monsters to start killing people! I remember from the article (amazing what sticks in your brain) they mentioning the final scene where Spike bites it in the sun while trying to get to the water fountain.

Imagine, we could be reminiscing about CAP cadets in movies like Red Dawn and Iron Eagle. But instead, we're cut down to a reference made in JFK about the assassin of a president. Grrrreat.

If the offer comes up again, I hope National will TAKE IT!
Maybe they'll make a movie with Tom Cruise, who grows up at a CAP military acadamy (Taps), races the #42 car (Days of Thunder), then dogfights in a C-172 listing to a Kenny Loggins song (Top Gun) and saves the world!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

citizensoldier

I will be interested to see what they do with it.  I was 14 when it came out and it had alot to do with choices I made as a young adult.

CS
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

SJFedor

Quote from: alamrcn on January 15, 2009, 01:28:15 AM

If the offer comes up again, I hope National will TAKE IT!
Maybe they'll make a movie with Tom Cruise, who grows up at a CAP military acadamy (Taps), races the #42 car (Days of Thunder), then dogfights in a C-172 listing to a Kenny Loggins song (Top Gun) and saves the world!

Hahaha. What's funny is that I went to the school that Taps was filmed at. Valley Forge Military Academy...oh the memories.

Taps was "required viewing" our first weekend.

It's a shame though, they tore down the "main gate" they have in that movie as soon as the movie was finished filming. But the church there is absolutely amazing.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Stonewall

Quote from: alamrcn on January 15, 2009, 01:28:15 AM
Release dates of 1984 movies with PG-13 ratings...
Gremlins - June 8
Red Dawn - August 10
Dreamscape -August 15

Anywho, I distinctly remember reading an article at my daycare <g!> about the new PG-13 rating. They changed the rating of Gremlins from PG right after it was released, and still in the theater.

MPAA rating of PG-13 was released on 1 July 84.  Red Dawn was the first movie released with the PG-13 rating.  If not, then I should return the Creed concert tickets I won from Mix 107.3 FM in Washington DC back in the late 90s.

Quote from: Stonewall on January 13, 2009, 12:13:48 AM
In 1984, explicit violence in the PG-rated films Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Gremlins were "the straws that broke the parents' backs". Their complaints led Hollywood figure Steven Spielberg, director of Temple of Doom and producer of Gremlins, to suggest a new rating, PG-14, to MPAA president Jack Valenti. Instead, on conferring with cinema owners, Mr Valenti and the MPAA on July 1, 1984, introduced the PG-13 rating, allowing in children under 13 years of age without a parent or an adult guardian, but warning parents about potentially shocking violence, cursing, and mature subject matter that may be inappropriate for children under 13; though weaker than an R rating, PG-13 is the strongest unrestricted rating. The first widely-distributed PG-13 movie was Red Dawn (1984), followed by Dreamscape (1984), and The Flamingo Kid (1984), although The Flamingo Kid was the first film so rated by the board.
Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

Quote from: SJFedor

That's sounds like watching "Rudy" while at Notre Dame.

That is really cool that you got to spend part of your life there, when was that? I think the movie was in '81.  Is the school still going?

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

davidsinn

Quote from: alamrcn on January 15, 2009, 05:11:30 PM

That is really cool that you got to spend part of your life there, when was that? I think the movie was in '81.  Is the school still going?

Watching "Hoosiers" when you're a little school that's got a shot at the state trophy... Helps to be in Indiana too  ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

nesagsar

Quote from: davidsinn on January 15, 2009, 05:45:44 PM
Quote from: alamrcn on January 15, 2009, 05:11:30 PM

Watching "Hoosiers" when you're a little school that's got a shot at the state trophy... Helps to be in Indiana too  ;)

"Follow Me Boys" is the best scouting movie ever made and nearly required viewing for scout troops.