Main Menu

General Pineda and USCAP

Started by Heavy Flying Guy, August 16, 2014, 07:25:50 AM

Heavy Flying Guy

I've been a cadet for little more than a year, and I've started looking into CAP's more recent history. Who was Maj Gen Pineda and why was he removed from command, stripped of rank and 2B'd? Also, what was the objective of the Corporate Uniform, U.S. Civil Air Patrol tapes, and the like? I'm just curious.
"We...are the CAP! We'll always save the day! And if you think we can't, we'll always find a way!"

MSG Mac

Mister Pineda was relieved of command for a number of things. Awarding himself the Silver Medal of Valor, and allegedly having someone else take an Air Command and Staff College test for him.  Among other things. The Corpoate uniform was a distinctive CAP uniform which allowed members who didn't meet the height and weight or grooming standards.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 16, 2014, 07:42:09 AM
Mister Pineda was relieved of command for a number of things. Awarding himself the Silver Medal of Valor, and allegedly having someone else take an Air Command and Staff College test for him.  Among other things. The Corpoate uniform was a distinctive CAP uniform which allowed members who didn't meet the height and weight or grooming standards.

The CSU was only worn by the heavy people. Those of us who didn't meet grooming standards weren't allowed to wear it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

Quote from: SarDragon on August 16, 2014, 08:26:07 AM

The CSU was only worn by the heavy people. Those of us who didn't meet grooming standards weren't allowed to wear it.

Thus creating a "third class" of members.

Heavy Flying Guy

How do you even give the silver medal of valor?
"We...are the CAP! We'll always save the day! And if you think we can't, we'll always find a way!"

ColonelJack

Quote from: FuturePilot5479 on August 16, 2014, 07:25:50 AM
Who was Maj Gen Pineda

Otherwise known around these parts as "He Who Shall Never Be Named".  (That's in case you see the acronym HWSNBN or something like that.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

LSThiker

Quote from: FuturePilot5479 on August 16, 2014, 08:03:53 PM
How do you even give the silver medal of valor?

In a nutshell, a member writes up a CAPF 120 with the events.  Sends it through the chain of command for approval up to the CSAG.  The CSAG votes on it and is the approving authority.  For more details, checkout CAPR 39-3. 

Heavy Flying Guy

Quote from: ColonelJack on August 16, 2014, 09:26:07 PM
Who was Maj Gen Pineda

Otherwise known around these parts as "He Who Shall Never Be Named".  (That's in case you see the acronym HWSNBN or something like that.)

Jack
Probably why I've never heard of him until recently.

MSG Mac

Quote from: FuturePilot5479 on August 17, 2014, 12:16:13 AM
Who was Maj Gen Pineda

Jack

Some refer to him as "Fat Tony"
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

AlphaSigOU

Not to mention HWSRN's penchant for relieving from command anyone who opposed or disagreed his policies. Many a good wing or region commander had their CAP careers abruptly cut short. Cronyism was rampant.

IIRC, one of the other things that brought about his downfall was his proposed change to the term of the National Commander to allow for unlimited reelection. Which is why we now have our current executive command structure (BoG, CSAG, CCC).

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

FW

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 17, 2014, 01:53:55 PM
Not to mention HWSRN's penchant for relieving from command anyone who opposed or disagreed his policies. Many a good wing or region commander had their CAP careers abruptly cut short. Cronyism was rampant.

IIRC, one of the other things that brought about his downfall was his proposed change to the term of the National Commander to allow for unlimited reelection. Which is why we now have our current executive command structure (BoG, CSAG, CCC).

It was part of the equation, however it is a gross oversimplification of what happened.  FT's part was the continuation of a process which ended in 2012.  There is a reason why former National Commanders are now prohibited from becoming BoG members for 6 years following their terms.  The "old way" became a recipe for politcs and polarization; not good for us.  Cronyism still exists, however it has been reduced with our new governance system, because we no longer have the "self licking ice cream cone". 

FT deserved everything that came to him, however "the system" let it happen.  The system changed because it needed to.  And if the "powers that be" had their way, things would be different; with a paid National Commander that was the top of the pyramid, congressional charter change, and a subserviant BoG.  Thank goodness for level heads and reasonableness!

Chappie

I've been a cadet for little more than a year, and I've started looking into CAP's more recent history. Who was Maj Gen Pineda and why was he removed from command, stripped of rank and 2B'd? Also, what was the objective of the Corporate Uniform, U.S. Civil Air Patrol tapes, and the like? I'm just curious.

<begin scroll> "A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away...." <end scroll>

Snipping a portion from "A Tale of Two Cities": "...it was the worst of times."

Quoting Forrest Gump: "And that is all I have to say about that."
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ColonelJack

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 17, 2014, 01:53:55 PM

And (from what I understand) one VERY good National CV - Gen. Glasgow.  Everything I've heard about him says he was an asset to CAP.  Considering all we now know (and then suspected), General Glasgow should get his membership and his star back.

My opinion, of course. 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

FW

Rex had his membership reinstated in 2007. Unfortunately, it turned out he was not so innocent as he claimed. He resigned soon after the full truth was found.  Life is not always so simple.

To answer the OP's question. Pineda's membership was terminated by the BoG for gross abuse of office. It did so after temporarily suspending the CAP constitution and by laws.
"US Civil Air Patrol" was approved by the National Board after agreeing with FT's argument that there were other civil air patrols. The name was removed in 2008. The CSU was a corporate uniform approved by the NB in 2006. It was removed by the NEC in 2010.

ColonelJack

Thanks, Colonel.  I stand corrected.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Garibaldi

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 17, 2014, 12:39:13 AM
Who was Maj Gen Pineda

Jack

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought it stood for F*** T**D.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 17, 2014, 12:39:13 AM
Who was Maj Gen Pineda

Jack

Some of us preferred "Little Fidel"...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: FW on August 17, 2014, 05:05:52 PM
Rex had his membership reinstated in 2007. Unfortunately, it turned out he was not so innocent as he claimed. He resigned soon after the full truth was found.  Life is not always so simple.

I do not remember hearing that part of the story. I knew about the reinstatement, but heard nothing after that.