Google Apps for Non-Profits

Started by Nearly Dark Side, May 01, 2014, 02:00:27 PM

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 08:25:31 PM
Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:22:51 PM
Like, I said, it's burdensome.  Who's keeping track of who's engaged and owns what docs?  For me, a better solution is for every user to save to a common share without the ownership issues.

Who's active and such is automatically managed.  Users who depart are flagged as "disabled".

Generally, people use shared unit space on the drive that's pre-configured to share with the unit.

We can handle document sharing automatically based upon duty position and unit of assignment without issue.  We can handle confidential information, up to and including IG files, all on the same shared space that is basically "set once and forget".
It's been quite a while (ie. year+) since I looked at it so you're obviously more familiar with it than I am.  However, I am skeptical that anything is managed "automatically".  How does GA "automatically" know whether someone left the organization or the role?  How did you set up, pre-configure the shared space?  Did you need to approve all the users for access?
CAPWATCH is used to provision accounts and access rights.

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 08:39:10 PM
Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 08:25:31 PM
Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:22:51 PM
Like, I said, it's burdensome.  Who's keeping track of who's engaged and owns what docs?  For me, a better solution is for every user to save to a common share without the ownership issues.

Who's active and such is automatically managed.  Users who depart are flagged as "disabled".

Generally, people use shared unit space on the drive that's pre-configured to share with the unit.

We can handle document sharing automatically based upon duty position and unit of assignment without issue.  We can handle confidential information, up to and including IG files, all on the same shared space that is basically "set once and forget".
It's been quite a while (ie. year+) since I looked at it so you're obviously more familiar with it than I am.  However, I am skeptical that anything is managed "automatically".  How does GA "automatically" know whether someone left the organization or the role?  How did you set up, pre-configure the shared space?  Did you need to approve all the users for access?
CAPWATCH is used to provision accounts and access rights.
So, someone set up (and maintains) a database connection for a regular (daily?) download as well? 

And let's say an account is set to disabled based on the info provided via CAPWATCH, what happens when the member renews, moves back to position, etc.?  How is that handled?  And how is ownership of docs then transferred?  Ex. Joe leaves Wing returns to Squadron, he is still an active member but perhaps doesn't need access or we don't want him to have access to update docs anymore.  How is this handled?  Are you holding generic e-mail addresses by position/role?  Describe this more please.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

^ Certainly one of ten different ways to accomplish this. The APIs are pretty robust, but not necessary.
My wing runs some processes every month to update the mailing lists which are script-based.
More then the average unit would ever need.

New member?  Create an account, add to groups as per assignment, rights are automatic.
He leaves?  Change password, assign his alias to someone else, delegate his email and docs to be checked,
rinse, repeat as necessary.

As to the shared space, you set it up anyway the function dictates, and what is nice is that
CAP "owns" the information, end-to-end, with full re-visioning and recovery, just like any other corporate entity.

We recently had a situation where a high-visibility member died unexpectedly.  Most of the CAP information
he had, including a large-scale activity, resided in a personal email account and on his personal machine.

Were he using his apps account, this would have been a simple process of changing a password and
re-assigning ownership, just like any other professional organization.

CAP accounts are reserved for CAP-business, so no SPAM, no "funy lists" and no invitations to
send an internet hug or see videos of cats.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

The other thing with GApps is that it is 100% platform agnostic.

There are some services that seem to mesh better with Android, but Google has done some really
extensive development on the iOS apps and services, and the core works just as well on Windows, OSX,
and Linux.

Not the case with Office365, at least in my experience.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on May 01, 2014, 08:57:52 PM

There are some services that seem to mesh better with Android, but Google has done some really
extensive development on the iOS apps and services, and the core works just as well on Windows, OSX,
and Linux.

Office 365 is cloud based as well.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 09:04:50 PM

and Linux.

However, their non-profit version does not include the actual apps (like Word and Excel) for use with the Office 365.  So, no creating/editing documents on Office 365 from a non-profit account on your iPad.

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 09:07:01 PM
Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 09:04:50 PM

and Linux.

However, their non-profit version does not include the actual apps (like Word and Excel) for use with the Office 365.  So, no creating/editing documents on Office 365 from a non-profit account on your iPad.
I haven't tried it yet but I'm not sure that is true. 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/microsoft-office-365-for-business-faq-FX103030232.aspx
Quote...Office 365 is the same Office you already know and use every day. And then some. Because Office 365 is powered by the cloud, you can get to your applications and files from virtually anywhere—PC, Mac, and select mobile devices—and they're always up to date...

vento

A.Member, I honestly think that Microsoft owes you a reward of some sort. It's been a while since I saw someone so passionately defend products from MS.

IMHO, I think Microsoft is actually in a twisted way very similar to CAP. We have to pay CAP in order to serve our communities as a CAP member. OTOH, we have to pay Microsoft in order to serve our communities as an unofficial beta tester of Microsoft products.

I was actually an official beta tester for Windows 95 and the very first release of MSN.  >:D

NIN

As of at least 6 months ago, shared calendars in iOS under office 365 was definitely a no go
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SARDOC

I would like to use a CAP.GOV domain name associated with Google Apps but in order to get the domain name, one of the steps provided under the Civil Air Patrol how to create a domain name process.

"Contact your wing headquarters webmaster or Information Technology officer as that person can advise if the wing can arrange for Internet server services to host a CAP.GOV domain for your unit.  That person should also be able to assist you in obtaining the required approval from the wing or higher commander or designee to utilize a CAP.GOV domain. "

Do I need to arrange for server services to host the domain, or can I just use google apps?  I'm sorry I'm not the most technology savvy.  Thanks

Spaceman3750

Shared calendars in iOS using anything but iCloud has been a no go forever.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on May 02, 2014, 03:13:05 AM
Do I need to arrange for server services to host the domain, or can I just use google apps?  I'm sorry I'm not the most technology savvy.  Thanks

No external hosting is necessary. CAP controls the entire cap.gov space.  You arrange for the domain name itself
with the CAP .gov administrator, and once you have that setup, you point it at Google Apps.

You can actually setup the Google account ahead of time, but won't be able to confirm yoo own the domain until you do.
Then it's just a matter of pointing the MX and WWW at Google.

It's in place all over the country and NHQ, so it won't be "new" now as it was years ago when some of us first lit up the accounts.

That's what's nice about using a .gov domain - in addition to the credibility associated with it in the minds of those paying attention,
that means the entire setup is free end-to-end.  Using anything else (say unit.org) means about $9-12 a year in registration as
well as someone having to monitor it to keep it current, whereas there's no such issue with cap.gov.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2014, 03:17:31 AM

No external hosting is necessary. CAP controls the entire cap.gov space.  You arrange for the domain name itself
with the CAP .gov administrator, and once you have that setup, you point it at Google Apps.

You can actually setup the Google account ahead of time, but won't be able to confirm yoo own the domain until you do.
Then it's just a matter of pointing the MX and WWW at Google.

It's in place all over the country and NHQ, so it won't be "new" now as it was years ago when some of us first lit up the accounts.

That's what's nice about using a .gov domain - in addition to the credibility associated with it in the minds of those paying attention,
that means the entire setup is free end-to-end.  Using anything else (say unit.org) means about $9-12 a year in registration as
well as someone having to monitor it to keep it current, whereas there's no such issue with cap.gov.

Thanks, That's kind of what I was thinking.  I've already set up the Google Apps with the Google Earth Pro which is very nice by the way.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2014, 03:17:31 AM
... Then it's just a matter of pointing the MX and WWW at Google. ...
Just a small note, while MX is a valid DNS record, WWW is not.  You'd actually be changing one or all of the associated CNAME, PTR and/or A records depending on needs.  You would change the MX records if you want to route email through the Google Apps mail servers, which many do.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

vento

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 02, 2014, 03:13:34 AM

Not an issue when you use Google apps. All iOS devices will read and write to the Google Apps calendar just fine.

A.Member

Quote from: vento on May 02, 2014, 12:03:15 AM
A.Member, I honestly think that Microsoft owes you a reward of some sort. It's been a while since I saw someone so passionately defend products from MS.
Not defending nor promoting.  Simply being objective and informing of alternate solutions; Google Apps is not the only option. 

Frankly, there is always some risk in throwing all your eggs in one basket, regardless of vendor - ie. Google, MS, Apple, etc.  But the reality is these two solutions provide the best balance of cost, features, and functionality in a comprehensive package.  You'll need to decide what is the best solution for your slice of the world.  The good news is that there are options.

Detailed comparison of Office 365 vs. Google Apps:
http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/review-microsoft-office-365-vs-google-apps-233667?page=0,0

Another comparison (again, keep in mind that MS now offers Office 365 for nonprofits):
http://www.zdnet.com/is-office-365-worth-spending-3x-more-than-on-google-apps-7000027225/

And one more:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/031914-productivity-google-apps-office-365-279874.html?page=1

Spaceman3750

Quote from: vento on May 02, 2014, 03:10:06 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 02, 2014, 03:13:34 AM

Not an issue when you use Google apps. All iOS devices will read and write to the Google Apps calendar just fine.

Your own calendar (via ActiveSync), but when my employer was on Apps we couldn't see calendars shared to others on our FruitPhones. It's that way with Exchange too, it's a weakness in ActiveSync not GApps.

It might work with the Gmail app, I haven't looked.

vento

When I started, my employer had Exchange Server 5, then 5.5, 2003, and 2008 (I think was the last) before the company switched everybody to Google Apps for business and never looked back.

The above mentioned company I work for use Google Apps Calendar and shares different calendar with different departments. The CAP squadron I am with also uses Google Apps and shares the calendar, and finally the church uses Google apps for non profits and shares the calendar. I have no problem with all the fruit phones accessing the multiple calendars, as matter of fact they all show up within one iCalendar.

At work we still use Outlook (sigh) for e-mail client, and we use Google Apps Sync for Outlook and therefore we can read and write all Google calendars within Outlook as if they were Outlook native calendars.

iCloud on the other hand does not allow flexible integration with other clients. I use iCloud for my personal stuff and it coexists quite nicely with GApps.

N Harmon

Quote from: NIN on May 01, 2014, 08:08:01 PMI'm always a little leary of hitching my star quite so completely to Microsoft. They have a great tendency 2 come up with rather grandiose plans, twist everybody's arm to embrace those plans, and then decide midstream that they're not interested in following that course of action anymore.

That is a very valid concern for Microsoft-anything. But it also applies to Google. They have been known to do similar things. Unit IT officers should have a backup plan for how to handle their internet operations if Google ever decides, say, to only allow one GApps account per taxpayer ID number.

One thing I have done, which should be a practice for any/all units using GApps, is create an administrative-level account and record its credentials in the 'Internet Operations' section on eServices. This will make continuity much easier if something happens to the person managing GApps.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

vento

Quote from: N Harmon on May 04, 2014, 01:26:45 AM
One thing I have done, which should be a practice for any/all units using GApps, is create an administrative-level account and record its credentials in the 'Internet Operations' section on eServices. This will make continuity much easier if something happens to the person managing GApps.

Good point.