Google Apps for Non-Profits

Started by Nearly Dark Side, May 01, 2014, 02:00:27 PM

Nearly Dark Side

Hello CapTalk. So my squadron is going through a revival of sorts and I am starting to take over on the cadet side of things. We're doing a kind of spring cleaning that is years overdo. Part of the duties I have before me is the implementation of a more efficient method of communication and management of the squadron. I have heard many good things about Google Apps for Non-Profits and its use in CAP. My question is what are the specific benefits and how would I go about setting up such a thing for a home squadron, including proving CAP as a non-profit. Thank you in advance to all who contribute.

JeffDG

Proving CAP is a non-profit is the easy part.  CAP's 501(c)(3) determination letter is available at:  http://capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/general_counsel/501-c-3-federal-income-tax-exemption/

GANP can be a small undertaking, or a huge one, depending what you want to do with it.

First there are different modules that you can utilize (all under the free access):

-Sites:  Websites.  WYSIWYG editor, not the most flexible platform, but it works well and reliably.

-Mail:  Basically a full-version of GMail for your organization (without the ads...).  You do have to manage the accounts for this

-Calendar:  Shared and personal calendars.  Can integrate with Sites (so you can embed a calendar on your website...see http://tn393.tncap.us/ for an example)

-Drive:  Shared document storage and document management.  Allows you to sync documents to your PC (or multiple PCs) and share documents.  Shares 30 GB of storage with Mail.

-Groups:  discussion boards and shared mailing lists...I love these, but you need to either develop an automatic membership manager, or do a lot of pruning

You can get started at:  http://www.google.com/nonprofits/products/

I've implemented this on a Group level, then Wing decided to take it and put it to use Wing wide, so I've done it at that level too.

Eclipse

Jeff hit all the high points.

GDrive for doc sharing is one of the big ones - it's the easiest way to get your unit to a paperless situation.

Not having "hotkittyAV8Tre69@juno.com" or something equally unprofessional for an address is high on the list as well.

Transition when people leave or move is easier, especially for the docs data, and it can all be accessed on multiple platforms.

For cadets with access or parent issues regarding using the internet, it can allow for an email and the other services
in a controlled manner, CAP-centric manner.

The "free" part is a big deal, too.

I've implemented this for my Group (very early adopter), and assisted my wing, and have also implemented the platform
for a number of companies.

It's designed to be user-friendly and user-managed by non-technical people and their tech support is awesome.

Sliced bread wishes it was as awesome a GApps.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Note, however, that there are rumbles coming from the echelons above reality about requiring all CAP Internet Operations to be on the platform of NHQ's choice, and given the fact that NHQ IT is, shall we say, overworked, I have incredibly low expectations for such a service.  The proposals I've seen are far less than the capabilities I have built for this Wing, and cost far more.

a2capt

The same people that prematurely publish stuff, don't test their implementations fully, and suffer from NIH Syndrome?

The Boston Tea Party was nothing.

Nearly Dark Side

Eclipse,
You mentioned the professionalism of the email addresses. Is that just saying that when members join the possible Google apps account I am proposing that they will create new emails with the @gmail.com domain? Or would I be able to create my own domain name. If not would it be recommended that I do so that it gives my squadron a more professional appearance?

Eclipse

You'll need to use a custom domain name, and you could certainly a subdomain of CAP.gov, though absent
a wing mandate, the choice of domain name would be up to the unit CC to decide.

unit.wing.cap.gov   or unit.org (etc.)

"That Others May Zoom"

Nearly Dark Side

OK thank you all for the knowledge. I will take this into account when I make my case to our squadron commander at the next meeting. I need to bring our squadron into the modern era.

Pylon

I did the Google Apps for Nonprofits setup for my squadron some years ago.  We still use it, mostly for email though now.  Its worthwhile.  We chose the route of getting a cap.gov subdomain established.  It required approval from the Wing CC or his designee (in our case, that was delegated to the Wing Director of IT), and then a few emails back-and-forth with the cap.gov administrator to get the proper settings in place to sync up Google Apps and the domain.

An additional nice part about using a cap.gov subdomain is that it's free. No domain registration fees or renewals to deal with.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

A.Member

As an FYI....an alternative, Office 365 is also available. 

It was touched on earlier but the key is to understand what your needs are; what are you solving for?  Who will manage the solution?  Continuity planning? Etc.  As an example, one of our greatest needs was a common document repository.  Unfortunately, Google Apps isn't the best solution to that need.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:00:50 PM
Unfortunately, Google Apps isn't the best solution to that need.

Why not?  Google Drive works fantastically for exactly this need.

NIN

Correct me if I'm wrong but office 365 is not free for nonprofits correct? I'm always a little leary of hitching my star quite so completely to Microsoft. They have a great tendency 2 come up with rather grandiose plans, twist everybody's arm to embrace those plans, and then decide midstream that they're not interested in following that course of action anymore. I won't buy any Microsoft hardware ever again after they put out what was actually a pretty cool product is the form of the Microsoft Phone, then rather quickly orphaned it. Major bummer, because it had a lot of potential if it had just been supported.

I gave up on Microsoft hardware after that, and some of their non enterprise Solutions are similarly foisted off on the public, and then completely changed around within weeks. Ok months, maybe not weeks
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 08:06:45 PM

+1.  Sharepoint or cloud drive or whatever they are calling it this week is certainly not something I would
turn on the average CAP non-IT person.

Having supported it for a small business, it's a typically over-engineered, "feature-rich / support poor" MS offering.

The TOS on their non-profit offering are a lot more "detailed" and potentially onerous then GApps.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

The issue I have with Google drive is ownership and transfer of ownership.  As people rotate through the organization (a very regular occurrence for us), management of drives seems burdensome, especially if they're not engaged.   

It's simply not clean like something such as this:
www.opendocman.com

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Quote from: NIN on May 01, 2014, 08:08:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but office 365 is not free for nonprofits correct? I'm always a little leary of hitching my star quite so completely to Microsoft. They have a great tendency 2 come up with rather grandiose plans, twist everybody's arm to embrace those plans, and then decide midstream that they're not interested in following that course of action anymore. I won't buy any Microsoft hardware ever again after they put out what was actually a pretty cool product is the form of the Microsoft Phone, then rather quickly orphaned it. Major bummer, because it had a lot of potential if it had just been supported.

I gave up on Microsoft hardware after that, and some of their non enterprise Solutions are similarly foisted off on the public, and then completely changed around within weeks. Ok months, maybe not weeks
It is available at no cost now (via donation).  You're leary of Microsoft but not Google?  Hmmm.

BTW, hardware and software are very different matters.

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:17:28 PM

The issue I have with Google drive is ownership and transfer of ownership.  As people rotate through the organization (a very regular occurrence for us), management of drives seems burdensome, especially if they're not engaged.   

www.opendocman.com

The "Admin" pannel for GApps has a simple "transfer ownership" function that lets you grab everything from a non-active member and assign it to someone else.

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on May 01, 2014, 08:16:33 PM

+1.  Sharepoint or cloud drive or whatever they are calling it this week is certainly not something I would
turn on the average CAP non-IT person.

Having supported it for a small business, it's a typically over-engineered, "feature-rich / support poor" MS offering.

The TOS on their non-profit offering are a lot more "detailed" and potentially onerous then GApps.
If looking for a SP alternative, Huddle also offers a SharePoint alternative to non-profits for a low one time fee - $150. 

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 08:18:37 PM

www.opendocman.com

The "Admin" pannel for GApps has a simple "transfer ownership" function that lets you grab everything from a non-active member and assign it to someone else.
Like, I said, it's burdensome.  Who's keeping track of who's engaged and owns what docs?  We have enough issues with people figuring out how to use distribution lists.  For me, a better solution is for every user to save to a common share without the ownership issues.

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:22:51 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 08:18:37 PM

www.opendocman.com

Like, I said, it's burdensome.  Who's keeping track of who's engaged and owns what docs?  For me, a better solution is for every user to save to a common share without the ownership issues.

Who's active and such is automatically managed.  Users who depart are flagged as "disabled".

Generally, people use shared unit space on the drive that's pre-configured to share with the unit.

We can handle document sharing automatically based upon duty position and unit of assignment without issue.  We can handle confidential information, up to and including IG files, all on the same shared space that is basically "set once and forget".

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 08:25:31 PM
Like, I said, it's burdensome.  Who's keeping track of who's engaged and owns what docs?  For me, a better solution is for every user to save to a common share without the ownership issues.

Who's active and such is automatically managed.  Users who depart are flagged as "disabled".

Generally, people use shared unit space on the drive that's pre-configured to share with the unit.

We can handle document sharing automatically based upon duty position and unit of assignment without issue.  We can handle confidential information, up to and including IG files, all on the same shared space that is basically "set once and forget".
It's been quite a while (ie. year+) since I looked at it so you're obviously more familiar with it than I am.  However, I am skeptical that anything is managed "automatically".  How does GA "automatically" know whether someone left the organization or the role?  How did you set up, pre-configure the shared space?  Did you need to approve all the users for access?

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:38:30 PM

It's been quite a while (ie. year+) since I looked at it so you're obviously more familiar with it than I am.  However, I am skeptical that anything is managed "automatically".  How does GA "automatically" know whether someone left the organization or the role?  How did you set up, pre-configure the shared space?  Did you need to approve all the users for access?
CAPWATCH is used to provision accounts and access rights.

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 08:39:10 PM
Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 08:38:30 PM

CAPWATCH is used to provision accounts and access rights.
So, someone set up (and maintains) a database connection for a regular (daily?) download as well? 

And let's say an account is set to disabled based on the info provided via CAPWATCH, what happens when the member renews, moves back to position, etc.?  How is that handled?  And how is ownership of docs then transferred?  Ex. Joe leaves Wing returns to Squadron, he is still an active member but perhaps doesn't need access or we don't want him to have access to update docs anymore.  How is this handled?  Are you holding generic e-mail addresses by position/role?  Describe this more please.

Eclipse

^ Certainly one of ten different ways to accomplish this. The APIs are pretty robust, but not necessary.
My wing runs some processes every month to update the mailing lists which are script-based.
More then the average unit would ever need.

New member?  Create an account, add to groups as per assignment, rights are automatic.
He leaves?  Change password, assign his alias to someone else, delegate his email and docs to be checked,
rinse, repeat as necessary.

As to the shared space, you set it up anyway the function dictates, and what is nice is that
CAP "owns" the information, end-to-end, with full re-visioning and recovery, just like any other corporate entity.

We recently had a situation where a high-visibility member died unexpectedly.  Most of the CAP information
he had, including a large-scale activity, resided in a personal email account and on his personal machine.

Were he using his apps account, this would have been a simple process of changing a password and
re-assigning ownership, just like any other professional organization.

CAP accounts are reserved for CAP-business, so no SPAM, no "funy lists" and no invitations to
send an internet hug or see videos of cats.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

The other thing with GApps is that it is 100% platform agnostic.

There are some services that seem to mesh better with Android, but Google has done some really
extensive development on the iOS apps and services, and the core works just as well on Windows, OSX,
and Linux.

Not the case with Office365, at least in my experience.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on May 01, 2014, 08:57:52 PM

There are some services that seem to mesh better with Android, but Google has done some really
extensive development on the iOS apps and services, and the core works just as well on Windows, OSX,
and Linux.

Office 365 is cloud based as well.

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 09:04:50 PM

and Linux.

However, their non-profit version does not include the actual apps (like Word and Excel) for use with the Office 365.  So, no creating/editing documents on Office 365 from a non-profit account on your iPad.

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 01, 2014, 09:07:01 PM
Quote from: A.Member on May 01, 2014, 09:04:50 PM

and Linux.

However, their non-profit version does not include the actual apps (like Word and Excel) for use with the Office 365.  So, no creating/editing documents on Office 365 from a non-profit account on your iPad.
I haven't tried it yet but I'm not sure that is true. 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/microsoft-office-365-for-business-faq-FX103030232.aspx
Quote...Office 365 is the same Office you already know and use every day. And then some. Because Office 365 is powered by the cloud, you can get to your applications and files from virtually anywhere—PC, Mac, and select mobile devices—and they're always up to date...

vento

A.Member, I honestly think that Microsoft owes you a reward of some sort. It's been a while since I saw someone so passionately defend products from MS.

IMHO, I think Microsoft is actually in a twisted way very similar to CAP. We have to pay CAP in order to serve our communities as a CAP member. OTOH, we have to pay Microsoft in order to serve our communities as an unofficial beta tester of Microsoft products.

I was actually an official beta tester for Windows 95 and the very first release of MSN.  >:D

NIN

As of at least 6 months ago, shared calendars in iOS under office 365 was definitely a no go
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SARDOC

I would like to use a CAP.GOV domain name associated with Google Apps but in order to get the domain name, one of the steps provided under the Civil Air Patrol how to create a domain name process.

"Contact your wing headquarters webmaster or Information Technology officer as that person can advise if the wing can arrange for Internet server services to host a CAP.GOV domain for your unit.  That person should also be able to assist you in obtaining the required approval from the wing or higher commander or designee to utilize a CAP.GOV domain. "

Do I need to arrange for server services to host the domain, or can I just use google apps?  I'm sorry I'm not the most technology savvy.  Thanks

Spaceman3750

Shared calendars in iOS using anything but iCloud has been a no go forever.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on May 02, 2014, 03:13:05 AM
Do I need to arrange for server services to host the domain, or can I just use google apps?  I'm sorry I'm not the most technology savvy.  Thanks

No external hosting is necessary. CAP controls the entire cap.gov space.  You arrange for the domain name itself
with the CAP .gov administrator, and once you have that setup, you point it at Google Apps.

You can actually setup the Google account ahead of time, but won't be able to confirm yoo own the domain until you do.
Then it's just a matter of pointing the MX and WWW at Google.

It's in place all over the country and NHQ, so it won't be "new" now as it was years ago when some of us first lit up the accounts.

That's what's nice about using a .gov domain - in addition to the credibility associated with it in the minds of those paying attention,
that means the entire setup is free end-to-end.  Using anything else (say unit.org) means about $9-12 a year in registration as
well as someone having to monitor it to keep it current, whereas there's no such issue with cap.gov.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2014, 03:17:31 AM

No external hosting is necessary. CAP controls the entire cap.gov space.  You arrange for the domain name itself
with the CAP .gov administrator, and once you have that setup, you point it at Google Apps.

You can actually setup the Google account ahead of time, but won't be able to confirm yoo own the domain until you do.
Then it's just a matter of pointing the MX and WWW at Google.

It's in place all over the country and NHQ, so it won't be "new" now as it was years ago when some of us first lit up the accounts.

That's what's nice about using a .gov domain - in addition to the credibility associated with it in the minds of those paying attention,
that means the entire setup is free end-to-end.  Using anything else (say unit.org) means about $9-12 a year in registration as
well as someone having to monitor it to keep it current, whereas there's no such issue with cap.gov.

Thanks, That's kind of what I was thinking.  I've already set up the Google Apps with the Google Earth Pro which is very nice by the way.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2014, 03:17:31 AM
... Then it's just a matter of pointing the MX and WWW at Google. ...
Just a small note, while MX is a valid DNS record, WWW is not.  You'd actually be changing one or all of the associated CNAME, PTR and/or A records depending on needs.  You would change the MX records if you want to route email through the Google Apps mail servers, which many do.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

vento

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 02, 2014, 03:13:34 AM

Not an issue when you use Google apps. All iOS devices will read and write to the Google Apps calendar just fine.

A.Member

Quote from: vento on May 02, 2014, 12:03:15 AM
A.Member, I honestly think that Microsoft owes you a reward of some sort. It's been a while since I saw someone so passionately defend products from MS.
Not defending nor promoting.  Simply being objective and informing of alternate solutions; Google Apps is not the only option. 

Frankly, there is always some risk in throwing all your eggs in one basket, regardless of vendor - ie. Google, MS, Apple, etc.  But the reality is these two solutions provide the best balance of cost, features, and functionality in a comprehensive package.  You'll need to decide what is the best solution for your slice of the world.  The good news is that there are options.

Detailed comparison of Office 365 vs. Google Apps:
http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/review-microsoft-office-365-vs-google-apps-233667?page=0,0

Another comparison (again, keep in mind that MS now offers Office 365 for nonprofits):
http://www.zdnet.com/is-office-365-worth-spending-3x-more-than-on-google-apps-7000027225/

And one more:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/031914-productivity-google-apps-office-365-279874.html?page=1

Spaceman3750

Quote from: vento on May 02, 2014, 03:10:06 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 02, 2014, 03:13:34 AM

Not an issue when you use Google apps. All iOS devices will read and write to the Google Apps calendar just fine.

Your own calendar (via ActiveSync), but when my employer was on Apps we couldn't see calendars shared to others on our FruitPhones. It's that way with Exchange too, it's a weakness in ActiveSync not GApps.

It might work with the Gmail app, I haven't looked.

vento

When I started, my employer had Exchange Server 5, then 5.5, 2003, and 2008 (I think was the last) before the company switched everybody to Google Apps for business and never looked back.

The above mentioned company I work for use Google Apps Calendar and shares different calendar with different departments. The CAP squadron I am with also uses Google Apps and shares the calendar, and finally the church uses Google apps for non profits and shares the calendar. I have no problem with all the fruit phones accessing the multiple calendars, as matter of fact they all show up within one iCalendar.

At work we still use Outlook (sigh) for e-mail client, and we use Google Apps Sync for Outlook and therefore we can read and write all Google calendars within Outlook as if they were Outlook native calendars.

iCloud on the other hand does not allow flexible integration with other clients. I use iCloud for my personal stuff and it coexists quite nicely with GApps.

N Harmon

Quote from: NIN on May 01, 2014, 08:08:01 PMI'm always a little leary of hitching my star quite so completely to Microsoft. They have a great tendency 2 come up with rather grandiose plans, twist everybody's arm to embrace those plans, and then decide midstream that they're not interested in following that course of action anymore.

That is a very valid concern for Microsoft-anything. But it also applies to Google. They have been known to do similar things. Unit IT officers should have a backup plan for how to handle their internet operations if Google ever decides, say, to only allow one GApps account per taxpayer ID number.

One thing I have done, which should be a practice for any/all units using GApps, is create an administrative-level account and record its credentials in the 'Internet Operations' section on eServices. This will make continuity much easier if something happens to the person managing GApps.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

vento

Quote from: N Harmon on May 04, 2014, 01:26:45 AM
One thing I have done, which should be a practice for any/all units using GApps, is create an administrative-level account and record its credentials in the 'Internet Operations' section on eServices. This will make continuity much easier if something happens to the person managing GApps.

Good point.

A.Member

Quote from: N Harmon on May 04, 2014, 01:26:45 AM
Not only a best practice, it's required by CAPR 110-1.

Tim Day

Does anyone who uses Google Apps have an operating instruction (OI) governing how emails and documents are transferred, acceptable use policy, etc?
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Tim Day

Has anyone using Google Apps with the .gov domain had any problems using the web access to gmail?
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Quote from: Tim Day on May 07, 2014, 12:43:50 PM
Has anyone using Google Apps with the .gov domain had any problems using the web access to gmail?

No issue for me - I aggregate al lthe accounts together, but can go to the web gmail as well no issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Anyone have a Google Apps domain as a .org and have their Gmail domain as a .gov?  Any issues in doing that?

Thought is to use a .gov as an external site and use Goggle Apps/Office 365 as a member only intranet site (.org)...less restrictive (regulations).

Eclipse

That would break many of the advantages of gmail's SSO.

What would you want to do that's restricted?

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2014, 12:10:09 AM
That would break many of the advantages of gmail's SSO.

What would you want to do that's restricted?
How would that break the SSO?  The .gov gmail address would still be the username.

There are additional disclaimers and restrictions that need to be adhered to with the use of a .gov domain.  We're not necessarily looking to do anything really wazoo but a .org  domains allows more freedom/leeway in a few respects.  We'd like to allow the director/duty officer for each specialty to update their own pages on the intranet site (think: blog/CMS).   We'd rather not worry about links that people may add to a specialty page (ex. Ops Officer may want to link to an interesting AOPA article...doing so would require a disclaimer).   

Eclipse

Yes, GApps can support multiple domains under a single account, but it's an overcomplication that is unnecessary
if all you're looking to do is link articles.

Site can do everything the average unit/group/wing needs to do web-wise.  If you need more, you're probably
overthinking things.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

That's kinda what I can't believe about that whole agenda item from the CSAG. They want to force us to all use the .gov stuff, and we can't do a lot with it, including run php/mysql apparently.

Because between the BS hoops you've got to jump through with the DNS administrator, and the hassles the host providers don't want to deal with.. no wonder everyone that has any kind of "modern" web page has switched to xxxxcap.org, with exception of NER and NJWG which both appear to be hosted by the same Charter or Comcast business service.

I've got a spreadsheet that has every Wing and Region, with their domain and what their site is, (Pagemill pages, CMS, etc)

Eclipse

I can't imagine why anyone would want to bother rolling their own CMS for a CAP webpage - all you really
need on those is marketing and contact type info, docs, policies, etc.

All more then possible and simple with template-based sites.

I "get" the whole "craftsman" vs. "technician" argument, but those complex pages (even simple php and CMS is
"complex" to someone without an IT background) tend to die when the "craftsman" moves on, quits, or dies.

Then you have the mess we have now.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2014, 03:30:50 AM
I can't imagine why anyone would want to bother rolling their own CMS for a CAP webpage - all you really
need on those is marketing and contact type info, docs, policies,
Agreed for an external facing website, ie your sales brochure.  Not so for an internally targeted site/intranet.  The benefit of CMS functionality is that once the framework is set, your IT person can step quite a bit further away and just let page owners update content, ex, emphasis items, event info, news/announcements, pictures, etc. We spend WAY too much time updating content for users; they can do this on their own with the right tools.

Slight change of topic...but related...for those that utilize CAPWATCH, how are you consuming this database?

JeffDG

One thing I really like is the Calendar functionality.

We set up calendars for the units, and they can put their events on it as they wish.  Then at the Group Level, on the webpage, we can put each of the subordinate unit calendars on there, so we have a consolidated picture of what's happening in all the units (each calendar gets its own colour on the screen)

Wing works much the same way, each department has their own, and the wing Webpage pulls all of those together for the wing-wide events happening.

What's important is I don't need to give a squadron guy access to the Group calendar to make his changes, and he can embed his squadron calendar on the squadron webpage, and add an event once, and it shows up on both automagically.  He doesn't need to do the squadron calendar, then remember to add his event to the Group calendar too.

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 09, 2014, 01:54:04 PM
One thing I really like is the Calendar functionality.

We set up calendars for the units, and they can put their events on it as they wish.  Then at the Group Level, on the webpage, we can put each of the subordinate unit calendars on there, so we have a consolidated picture of what's happening in all the units (each calendar gets its own colour on the screen)

Wing works much the same way, each department has their own, and the wing Webpage pulls all of those together for the wing-wide events happening.

What's important is I don't need to give a squadron guy access to the Group calendar to make his changes, and he can embed his squadron calendar on the squadron webpage, and add an event once, and it shows up on both automagically.  He doesn't need to do the squadron calendar, then remember to add his event to the Group calendar too.
Interesting.   That's almost the opposite of what we do.   

Here's our current approach (and the process while largely remain the same with our new solution):

• All activities (regardless of level) must be submitted for approval before they may be scheduled or appear on any calendar (online request form is used)
  • Activity request is approved or declined at Wing level
  • Within the request form, the requester indicates whether they want the activity to appear on a Wing calendar (most unit activities should not appear on a Wing calendar but rather remain on a unit calendar)
  • Wing calendar "moderator" receives online form and confirms the event truly should appear on Wing calendar and posts accordingly

A surprising number of calendar/activity requests received (maybe 75%+) do not belong on anything more than a unit calendar and should be managed at the unit level (ex. pancake breakfasts, unit meetings, etc.). 

Keeping calendar events at the correct level avoids unnecessary noise/clutter and allows for focus/emphasis, particularly at the Wing level, on key events and activities (ex. SAREX, Encampment, Training, etc.).  If someone is interested in knowing what's going on at unit x, they view that units calendar or contact CC for that unit.

JeffDG

We don't roll unit calendars onto the Wing Calendar...we roll departmental (ie. ES, Cadet Programs, etc.) calendars onto the Wing Calendar.  If something is "worthy" of appearing on the Wing Calendar, the appropriate Wing Staff member (ie DOS, DCP, DC) is generally aware of it at least.

My group rolls unit stuff onto the Group Calendar...but that's our decision, not pushed by anyone...gives an overall view of what's happening in our corner of the state at a glance.

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 09, 2014, 03:14:04 PM
We don't roll unit calendars onto the Wing Calendar...we roll departmental (ie. ES, Cadet Programs, etc.) calendars onto the Wing Calendar.  If something is "worthy" of appearing on the Wing Calendar, the appropriate Wing Staff member (ie DOS, DCP, DC) is generally aware of it at least.

My group rolls unit stuff onto the Group Calendar...but that's our decision, not pushed by anyone...gives an overall view of what's happening in our corner of the state at a glance.
I see...I think.   So, each speciality has it's own calendar?  Is there a consolidated view of events/consolidate calendar across specialities anywhere? 

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 09, 2014, 03:18:52 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 09, 2014, 03:14:04 PM

I see...I think.   So, each speciality has it's own calendar?  Is there a consolidated view of events/consolidate calendar across specialities anywhere?
Yes.

Generally, the department calendars are shared broadly (so everyone can read them for example), so in Google Calendar, you can just click which calendars you want to see among those shared with you.  You can also, when you embed a calendar on a website, select multiple calendars to display on the web page (with events that are readable to the public at large presumably).

So, the DOS can edit the ES calendar, the DCP can edit the Cadet Programs calendar, etc.  Then on the main webpage (http://www.tncap.us) we include multiple calendars on the main display.  I figure the directors can decide if something is important enough to go on there without going through some other person for approval.

Also, squadrons can choose to include "Wing" events on their web pages (for example:  http://tn393.tncap.us/), so they get the big-picture of events occurring, along with their local events.

A.Member

I like your general template.  Is that something you put together or did you modify an existing Google Sites template?

What kind of stuff do you have behind the member login?  Is that simply used to access Google Drive and Gmail? 

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on May 09, 2014, 04:01:04 PM
I like your general template.  Is that something you put together or did you modify an existing Google Sites template?

What kind of stuff do you have behind the member login?  Is that simply used to access Google Drive and Gmail?

I didn't build the template, more of a back-end guy!

We put anything that is FOUO behind the login...for example, on the Communications page, there's a call-sign list.  On "event" pages, we'll have a registration form on the public side, and people need to log in to see the registered member list.

A.Member

Quote from: JeffDG on May 09, 2014, 04:41:26 PM
Quote from: A.Member on May 09, 2014, 04:01:04 PM

I didn't build the template, more of a back-end guy!

We put anything that is FOUO behind the login...for example, on the Communications page, there's a call-sign list.  On "event" pages, we'll have a registration form on the public side, and people need to log in to see the registered member list.
Got it.  Makes sense.

Maybe you can twist an arm or two to convince whoever built that template to share.   ;) :)

A.Member

Anyone with an API setup that authorizes/authenticate users at sign based on a daily download from CAPWATCH (assume you're just using Member table?) willing to share their code/API set up with me? 

Essentially, we'll look at the member status in CAPWATCH to activate/delete user accounts/gmail.

a2capt

I'd be grateful to get anything like that, too. I'm using Google Apps at the Group and Unit level. I'm technical enough to figure out lots of stuff, but starting code projects from scratch .. has not happened since the Merlin assembler era on an Apple II ;)

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on June 02, 2014, 04:30:23 PM
I'd be grateful to get anything like that, too. I'm using Google Apps at the Group and Unit level. I'm technical enough to figure out lots of stuff, but starting code projects from scratch .. has not happened since the Merlin assembler era on an Apple II ;)

OK, I've got a bunch of things this month to keep me busy, between our OpsEval, and a bunch of other things that I'm neck deep in!

Sometime in July, I'll do a few online seminars on how we've build the process here in our wing, and I'll post the details here for all and sundry to jump on and see how it all works.

And let's see how well you remember your Merlin on Apple ][...what does JSR $FDED do?

a2capt

That would be the Character Output routine.
There are several Apple II systems setup in this room, and get used quite often.. ;-)

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on June 02, 2014, 06:01:43 PM
There are several Apple II systems setup in this room, and get used quite often.. ;-)
;D ;D

I remember first learning 6502 as a teenager on my trusty Apple ][e (actually it had the 65C02, but the only "C" instruction I ever used was BRA)...and reading how to store data in particular memory locations to make a character appear at a particular point on the screen, then I saw the JSR $FDED and I was much happier suddenly!

Garibaldi

Quote from: JeffDG on June 02, 2014, 06:04:41 PM
Quote from: a2capt on June 02, 2014, 06:01:43 PM
;D ;D

I remember first learning 6502 as a teenager on my trusty Apple ][e (actually it had the 65C02, but the only "C" instruction I ever used was BRA)...and reading how to store data in particular memory locations to make a character appear at a particular point on the screen, then I saw the JSR $FDED and I was much happier suddenly!

:o
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things