The Pig Pen is relocating......

Started by Flying Pig, June 21, 2013, 03:39:20 AM

Flying Pig

......... to Punta Gorda, FL :clap:

I was hired as a helicopter and airplane pilot for the Sheriffs Office.  Huge move, and a lot to get done in the next two weeks!   When I was there a couple weeks ago I saw a couple CAP planes on the ramp at Charlotte Airport. 

Fubar

Hopefully not too personal: why the move from CA?

Congrats on finding the new job!

SarDragon

Quote from: Fubar on June 21, 2013, 04:11:03 AM
Hopefully not too personal: why the move from CA?

Congrats on finding the new job!

Probably money!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

A lot less taxes! Florida has no income tax.

Spaceman3750

Punta Gorda... Is that Lee County? Can I buy you an adult beverage next time I'm in town?

stillamarine

Little further south then I normally go. But if you go through Birmingham on your way through give me a shout!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

And if you need an observer let me know! Although my plan right now when I retire is Disney security!

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

I hope it's a lot of money or a good opportunity, because you're trading relatively stable weather for
jungle humid with occasional sideways rain.

Not to mention the Trenta-sized crazy.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

At least you'll be able to stay current with your mountain flying skills...

JK657

Were you 3 @ 50 at your previous department? How is the retirement at the new department?

BillB

Mountain flying skills???? In that area of the state, the highest point may be an I-95 overpass.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on June 21, 2013, 08:39:16 PM
Mountain flying skills? ??? In that area of the state, the highest point may be an I-95 overpass.

Actually, much of the Miami skyline is higher than Britton Hill (345 ft), the highest natural point, out in the Panhandle.

Jacksonville also has six buildings higher than Britton Hill.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2013, 05:52:38 PMyou're trading relatively stable weather for

At least the earth doesn't move under your feet where he is going versus where he is coming from - trading unstable earth for stable earth as it were.

Hurricanes and weather are fairly predictable. Earthquakes are not. You can get out of the way of a hurricane, you can't get out of the way of an earthquake - unless you move to Florida.  8)

Flying Pig

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 21, 2013, 12:47:20 PM
Punta Gorda... Is that Lee County? Can I buy you an adult beverage next time I'm in town?

Charlotte County

Flying Pig

Quote from: JK657 on June 21, 2013, 06:54:33 PM
Were you 3 @ 50 at your previous department? How is the retirement at the new department?

Yes I am.   I will freeze my 16 years in CA and go into the FRS. When I hit 50 I can start drawing my 16 years in CA, and still keep working in FL. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RRLE on June 22, 2013, 02:23:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2013, 05:52:38 PMyou're trading relatively stable weather for

At least the earth doesn't move under your feet where he is going versus where he is coming from - trading unstable earth for stable earth as it were.

Hurricanes and weather are fairly predictable. Earthquakes are not. You can get out of the way of a hurricane, you can't get out of the way of an earthquake - unless you move to Florida.  8)

Yeah, but you left out the crazy...

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Here are some examples....

Im taking a $15,000per year pay cut but taking home about $700 more per month.  Momma wants to live on the beach. Not possible in CA.  This agency has hueys and does fire fighting.  Not something that will happen with my department.  In this new unit I can have the possibility of promoting in the unit. I cant do that where I am now.
As far as mountain flying.......  yeah, those days will be over but i have a few hundred hours flying the Sierra Nevadas.  I will miss it, but life is all a give and take. Mountain flying has made me a much better pilot, maybe I can get back into CAP and pass on some of that knowledge.  Ive never really been concerned about earthquakes. When they do happen, 99% of the time people dont even care.  Ive been in 3 hurricanes, so I know what thats about.

The wife and kids are excited for their reasons and I am selfishly excited because I now get to have a dedicated "UH1H" column in my book. :)  All around it will be a good change for everyone.   Time for a new adventure!

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 22, 2013, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: JK657 on June 21, 2013, 06:54:33 PM

Yes I am.   I will freeze my 16 years in CA and go into the FRS. When I hit 50 I can start drawing my 16 years in CA, and still keep working in FL.

I could not get my medical part until I turned 55. But then my cheap department was not CALPERS.

Congratulations sir   :clap:

cap235629

My mom lives in North Port. The next town over  there is a nice Irish Pub at the end of the pier in Punta Gorda
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Flying Pig

The other pilot I am working with lives in Northport.   I think I went to that pub you are talking about. I really enjoyed the area while we were there for a week.  I know all about the bugs and humidity and all that.  This will be a good move.  Not to mention, as I said, the career aspects. There is a CAP Sq at the airport I am working at, so I will be hitting them up for sure.

Whats the activity like in FL for CAP? 

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 24, 2013, 12:32:13 AM
The other pilot I am working with lives in Northport.   I think I went to that pub you are talking about. I really enjoyed the area while we were there for a week.  I know all about the bugs and humidity and all that.  This will be a good move.  Not to mention, as I said, the career aspects. There is a CAP Sq at the airport I am working at, so I will be hitting them up for sure.

There are a couple of cadet squadrons and a composite in the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area. I visited the two cadet units last time I was down there, they are both attached to schools.

Flying Pig

There is a CAP building at Charlotte County Airport

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 24, 2013, 01:47:38 AM

As in, they have the whole building? Cool! Don't know anything about them though, will let a local put in their .02.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 24, 2013, 01:51:28 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on June 24, 2013, 01:47:38 AM

As in, they have the whole building? Cool! Don't know anything about them though, will let a local put in their .02.

There were 2 or 3 CAP planes and there was a building with the CAP seal on the door.  The building was about the size of a double wide mobile home.  maybe a lite bigger. But it was an actual building.   Looked like something CAP could occupy.

Grumpy

I'd get out of here in a heart beat if I could get the wife to move.  $3.93 for regular gas and taxes up the yang yang.  Just left Ft Campbell in Tennessee gas was $3.29 a gallon.  Not to mention how green it is back there.

SarDragon

But we would miss your cheery personality out here in Sunny CA!  :'(
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Well, I can't help it if you're grumpier than Grumpy.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Woodsy

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 24, 2013, 12:32:13 AM

It's no secret that Florida Wing is the biggest and the best. 

Charlotte County Composite is a big and active Squadron.  There is a pretty high Ops tempo of the types of missions we can't talk about here in that part of the state.  You won't be bored.

The Florida Wing ops tempo as a whole has been a little slow lately.  We started out the fiscal year with 4 REDCAPS (all downed aircraft, all found, no survivors on any) between November and January, but haven't had one since.

We tend to run 2-3 ELT/EPIRB searches a month, give or take. 

We do quite a bit of aerial imagery missions for the state, and a lot of highbird comms repeater stuff. 

BillB

That highbird repeater stuff must be in south Florida. Haven't heard a peep from my radio in weeks.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Woodsy

Quote from: BillB on June 24, 2013, 07:41:03 PM
That highbird repeater stuff must be in south Florida. Haven't heard a peep from my radio in weeks.

Actually Bill, a lot of it around the NEFL / Blanding area.  It's not a year round mission-  a week or so a few times a year. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Woodsy on June 24, 2013, 03:13:10 PM
It's no secret that Florida Wing is the biggest and the best. 

I think we ALL knew that in 2004   ::)

Woodsy

2004 was before my time.  Obviously, the wing's greatness is attributable to its members.  So now that I'm here....   8)

PHall

Just remember, FLWG also gave us HWSNBN..... >:D

Flying Pig

I bet that would be really funny if I knew what that meant! ;D

BillB

It refers to Pineda. It started as HEWNWDM  He Whose Name We Don't Mnetion   and morfed from that
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

PHall

Quote from: BillB on June 30, 2013, 10:50:02 AM
It refers to Pineda. It started as HEWNWDM  He Whose Name We Don't Mnetion   and morfed from that

It's also a Happy Potter movie reference which is where those of us who were here on this board at the time seemed to pick it up from.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 30, 2013, 03:43:18 AM
I bet that would be really funny if I knew what that meant! ;D

IT IS! Just think South American Dictator with all the regalia that goes with it. Just think how big 39-1 could have been !!!  >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on June 30, 2013, 02:20:00 PM

It's also a Happy Potter movie reference which is where those of us who were here on this board at the time seemed to pick it up from.

The proper term is "He Who Shall Remain Nameless" - HWSRN, and had nothing to Harry Potter.
It appears it was coined by jimmydeano.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2013, 03:43:13 PM

The proper term is "He Who Shall Remain Nameless" - HWSRN, and had nothing to Harry Potter.

Used in Harry Potter movies to refer to Lord Valdemort.

Eclipse

I am embarrassed for both of us that you know that...

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

Eclipse and PHall make mistakes. Why is it I'm the only one on this board that is perfect. I never make mistakes. I thought I made a mistake last week, but I was mistaken.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on June 30, 2013, 05:01:03 PM
Eclipse and PHall make mistakes. Why is it I'm the only one on this board that is perfect. I never make mistakes. I thought I made a mistake last week, but I was mistaken.

Cite please!

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Ugh...inner geek coming out. He Who Shall Not Be Named.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

blackrain

Seeing as how this thread has a broad scope of discussion... :D....Does Florida Wing still do the "Sunset Flights"?

i.e. looking for stranded boaters as it starts getting dark?
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Woodsy

Quote from: blackrain on July 01, 2013, 05:14:26 AM
Seeing as how this thread has a broad scope of discussion... :D....Does Florida Wing still do the "Sunset Flights"?

i.e. looking for stranded boaters as it starts getting dark?

I am not aware of any regularly-scheduled sunset patrols at this time.  Those were local MOU missions, and local budgets have dried up as much as the state/federal budgets. 

There are occasional sunset patrols during high-traffic times like holiday weekends. 

stillamarine

Right now the Eglin fire patrol is still probably the biggest continuous mission nationwide.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Woodsy

Quote from: stillamarine on July 01, 2013, 04:41:21 PM
Right now the Eglin fire patrol is still probably the biggest continuous mission nationwide.

Yep.  Those aircrews rack up some serious hours. 

Flying Pig

Quote from: Woodsy on July 01, 2013, 07:30:35 PM

I cannot imagine the nausiating boredom that must come with those hours!!!

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 01, 2013, 08:54:32 PM

I cannot imagine the nausiating boredom that must come with those hours!!!

In that case, boredom is good! :)

stillamarine

When I left they had 3 A/C assigned technically to Grp 1 (but in all reality to Emerald Coast Senior, which oversees the mission) and I heard recently they have 5 assigned now. They fly some serious hours. I was able to get through my MS and MO qualifications in a matter of a couple months and rack up 30 or 40 mission hours as an MO before I moved to AL.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Woodsy

Quote from: stillamarine on July 01, 2013, 10:16:59 PM

When I left they had 3 A/C assigned technically to Grp 1 (but in all reality to Emerald Coast Senior, which oversees the mission) and I heard recently they have 5 assigned now. They fly some serious hours. I was able to get through my MS and MO qualifications in a matter of a couple months and rack up 30 or 40 mission hours as an MO before I moved to AL.

For someone looking to rack up free flight hours, it's the absolute best place for a CAP pilot to live.  A couple hundred a year is reasonable. 

stillamarine

Interestingly enough I see that Walton Co SO in the panhandle is hiring a deputy/pilot.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Flying Pig

The Aviation Unit is not a full-time active unit and is on a call-out only basis. When not flying missions or training, the unit members are assigned to other specialty units within the Walton County Sheriff's Office.
SALARY/BENEFITS
$33,588.00 - $58,000.00 (Base Salary)

No thanks....... ;D Ill take my 6 helicopters and 1 Skymaster over their 1 part time helicopter!

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 03, 2013, 01:26:04 AM
The Aviation Unit is not a full-time active unit and is on a call-out only basis. When not flying missions or training, the unit members are assigned to other specialty units within the Walton County Sheriff's Office.
SALARY/BENEFITS

No thanks....... ;D Ill take my 6 helicopters and 1 Skymaster over their 1 part time helicopter!

It is still a foot in the door for most cops who want to fly.   8)

stillamarine

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 03, 2013, 08:39:27 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on July 03, 2013, 01:26:04 AM
SALARY/BENEFITS

It is still a foot in the door for most cops who want to fly.   8)

Yup! Now is I just had a license and 500 hours!

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Flying Pig

I looked at Walton SO. Thats what they told me.  I was actually looking to move to FL starting about a year ago so I started calling around to different agencies.  They said they would bring me on as a Deputy and then when the helicopter was needed, I would get called in.  The helicopter is an OH58 and flew less than 40hrs per year.  At the time I called they werent even flying it because of budgets.  In my case, I was looking for a full time pilot spot.  2000hrs helicopter is pretty much the minimum to be marketable, so If some cop was looking to build time, WSO would not be the place to do it.  If a guy was a pilot looking to settle in that area and stay, then it could be the best of both worlds.  Everyone has their own reality thats for sure.  The chance to get into Hueys and fight fires was like dangling a loaded heroin syringe in front of a hype! >:D

stillamarine

Yeah having no license now and no prior military flying the chances of me getting enough hours to fly for a dept before I retire are slim to none lol.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Flying Pig

When I talked to them, if  recall they had a couple of ex-Army pilots who were deputies who flew.   I called back there and they didnt really have a budget and were relying completely on military surplus parts and had a couple mechanics who donated their time.
Vastly different than what I am used to.

FlyTiger77

I am not sure I would be comfortable flying a helicopter operated on such a shoestring budget. Of course, in the Army we overmaintained our helicopters.

Congratulations on your new gig!
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on July 03, 2013, 03:16:10 PM
I am not sure I would be comfortable flying a helicopter operated on such a shoestring budget. Of course, in the Army we overmaintained our helicopters.

Congratulations on your new gig!

There is no such thing as "overmaintaining" a helicopter.

DBlair

Quote from: BillB on June 21, 2013, 08:39:16 PM
Mountain flying skills???? In that area of the state, the highest point may be an I-95 overpass.

LOL... so true.

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 21, 2013, 03:39:20 AM
......... to Punta Gorda, FL :clap:

I was hired as a helicopter and airplane pilot for the Sheriffs Office.  Huge move, and a lot to get done in the next two weeks!   When I was there a couple weeks ago I saw a couple CAP planes on the ramp at Charlotte Airport.

Welcome to FLWG! Perhaps I'll run into you at some point, I'm north of you in Tampa.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2013, 03:43:13 PM

Finally famous!  I think I did that because I had recently read something about Castro and how people refer to him by stroking their chin (in reference to his beard) so that they don't have to say his name.  At the time, the dictator thing seemed appropriate.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

Currently staged in Southern CA.  Prepping the troops and restocking supplies. Commanders intent is to assault east into Arizona tomorrow afternoon.  Stand by for further.

stillamarine

Safe travels, brother. I would offer y'all a port in Birmingham but I live in an apartment. 

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

blackrain

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 06, 2013, 02:45:20 PM
Currently staged in Southern CA.  Prepping the troops and restocking supplies. Commanders intent is to assault east into Arizona tomorrow afternoon.  Stand by for further.

Wish I was there to see you pass Phase Line "Sooner" ;D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

NIN

Weaksauce. I expected an amphibious assault into Florida.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Private Investigator

Quote from: stillamarine on July 03, 2013, 01:50:36 PM
Yeah having no license now and no prior military flying the chances of me getting enough hours to fly for a dept before I retire are slim to none lol.

Exactly. The exception is "observer" but that requires a good political connection. Of course back in the 1980s every sheriff and chief with an Air Bureau wanted to have the first female helicopter pilot. Google that and you'll have some interesting reading. Who thought the GOBN existed outside of CAP? 

Private Investigator

You are clear, proceed without delay ..

Stay safe my friend   8)

Flying Pig

The Pig has landed....... I say again, the Pig has landed

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 14, 2013, 04:04:31 PM

Florida Law Enforcement will never know what hit it! >:D

spaatzmom

Welcome to Florida.  I hope you and your family find all you desire in your relocation.

blackrain

So is your new duty uniform a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops with Jimmy Buffett as you're co-pilot? ;D

PHall

Quote from: blackrain on July 15, 2013, 03:42:52 AM

So is your new duty uniform a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops with Jimmy Buffett as you're co-pilot? ;D

That would be Key West PD! ;)

Woodsy

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2013, 03:57:36 AM
Quote from: blackrain on July 15, 2013, 03:42:52 AM

That would be Key West PD! ;)

Or any "social" after a wing staff meeting.  Heck, we rarely change out of the swim trunks! 

Flying Pig

Been here 2 weeks.... not to bad at all.  And only 2 mosquito bites so far ;D  I work right across the street from a the CAP building.  Ill need to head over and say hello.  Anyone here in the Punta Gorda unit?