The Pig Pen is relocating......

Started by Flying Pig, June 21, 2013, 03:39:20 AM

Flying Pig

......... to Punta Gorda, FL :clap:

I was hired as a helicopter and airplane pilot for the Sheriffs Office.  Huge move, and a lot to get done in the next two weeks!   When I was there a couple weeks ago I saw a couple CAP planes on the ramp at Charlotte Airport. 

Fubar

Hopefully not too personal: why the move from CA?

Congrats on finding the new job!

SarDragon

Quote from: Fubar on June 21, 2013, 04:11:03 AM
Hopefully not too personal: why the move from CA?

Congrats on finding the new job!

Probably money!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

A lot less taxes! Florida has no income tax.

Spaceman3750

Punta Gorda... Is that Lee County? Can I buy you an adult beverage next time I'm in town?

stillamarine

Little further south then I normally go. But if you go through Birmingham on your way through give me a shout!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

And if you need an observer let me know! Although my plan right now when I retire is Disney security!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

I hope it's a lot of money or a good opportunity, because you're trading relatively stable weather for
jungle humid with occasional sideways rain.

Not to mention the Trenta-sized crazy.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

At least you'll be able to stay current with your mountain flying skills...

JK657

Were you 3 @ 50 at your previous department? How is the retirement at the new department?

BillB

Mountain flying skills???? In that area of the state, the highest point may be an I-95 overpass.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on June 21, 2013, 08:39:16 PM
Mountain flying skills? ??? In that area of the state, the highest point may be an I-95 overpass.

Actually, much of the Miami skyline is higher than Britton Hill (345 ft), the highest natural point, out in the Panhandle.

Jacksonville also has six buildings higher than Britton Hill.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2013, 05:52:38 PMyou're trading relatively stable weather for

At least the earth doesn't move under your feet where he is going versus where he is coming from - trading unstable earth for stable earth as it were.

Hurricanes and weather are fairly predictable. Earthquakes are not. You can get out of the way of a hurricane, you can't get out of the way of an earthquake - unless you move to Florida.  8)

Flying Pig

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 21, 2013, 12:47:20 PM
Punta Gorda... Is that Lee County? Can I buy you an adult beverage next time I'm in town?

Charlotte County

Flying Pig

Quote from: JK657 on June 21, 2013, 06:54:33 PM
Were you 3 @ 50 at your previous department? How is the retirement at the new department?

Yes I am.   I will freeze my 16 years in CA and go into the FRS. When I hit 50 I can start drawing my 16 years in CA, and still keep working in FL. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RRLE on June 22, 2013, 02:23:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2013, 05:52:38 PMyou're trading relatively stable weather for

At least the earth doesn't move under your feet where he is going versus where he is coming from - trading unstable earth for stable earth as it were.

Hurricanes and weather are fairly predictable. Earthquakes are not. You can get out of the way of a hurricane, you can't get out of the way of an earthquake - unless you move to Florida.  8)

Yeah, but you left out the crazy...

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Here are some examples....

Im taking a $15,000per year pay cut but taking home about $700 more per month.  Momma wants to live on the beach. Not possible in CA.  This agency has hueys and does fire fighting.  Not something that will happen with my department.  In this new unit I can have the possibility of promoting in the unit. I cant do that where I am now.
As far as mountain flying.......  yeah, those days will be over but i have a few hundred hours flying the Sierra Nevadas.  I will miss it, but life is all a give and take. Mountain flying has made me a much better pilot, maybe I can get back into CAP and pass on some of that knowledge.  Ive never really been concerned about earthquakes. When they do happen, 99% of the time people dont even care.  Ive been in 3 hurricanes, so I know what thats about.

The wife and kids are excited for their reasons and I am selfishly excited because I now get to have a dedicated "UH1H" column in my book. :)  All around it will be a good change for everyone.   Time for a new adventure!

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 22, 2013, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: JK657 on June 21, 2013, 06:54:33 PM

Yes I am.   I will freeze my 16 years in CA and go into the FRS. When I hit 50 I can start drawing my 16 years in CA, and still keep working in FL.

I could not get my medical part until I turned 55. But then my cheap department was not CALPERS.

Congratulations sir   :clap:

cap235629

My mom lives in North Port. The next town over  there is a nice Irish Pub at the end of the pier in Punta Gorda
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé