Main Menu

Guess I'm too old...

Started by Rick-DEL, January 28, 2013, 07:12:48 PM

J2H

I was making 42,300 when I got out of the Air Force in Sep 2012.  I was Rolled back due to PT failure (and loss of clearance)... I was trying to get on with the Army Guard, but I have medical conditions that they don't want to send me to MEPS with, so I tossed around doing MD Def Force as well. I think the Active AF limits age to 37 (I believe).
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Rick-DEL

Quote from: J2H on February 20, 2013, 03:52:24 PM
I was making 42,300 when I got out of the Air Force in Sep 2012. 

Nice. I remember in boot camp getting my first paycheck. A whole whopping $620.00 per month...before taxes ! Glad to see the boys/girls getting paid for their service these days.

J2H

The only jobs I can find now that pay close to that here are Law Enforcement (avg salary 45k), medical, or computers

Duke Dillio

Go find a power plant....  Most of the places I've been to start you at around $20 an hour.  With overtime, you will probably clear at least $65K. 

J2H

Tried getting into factory stuff, but no one is hiring, and a few didn't want me because I could have PTSD

Stonewall

Quote from: Rick-DEL on February 20, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

Nice. I remember in boot camp getting my first paycheck. A whole whopping $620.00 per month...before taxes ! Glad to see the boys/girls getting paid for their service these days.

Yeah, it's a bit different from when I first started too.  I did this comparison a while ago...

Pay comparison between military, government, and private sector security:

An Airman/E-2 USAF Security Forces member with less than 2 years in service makes approximately $36,000 per year.  This includes their non-taxed pay such as Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS).  Note:  BAH varies by locale, but I took what appeared to be an average and factored it in.

- Military:  30 days of paid leave per year; free medical and dental, 20 year retirement.

GS-6 DoD Police Officer makes roughly $35,000 per year.  Note:  Similar to private sector, government employees have to pay for health insurance, but the government contributes a larger portion than private sector employers do, so the average single government employee pays $1,550 per year ($130 per month).

- US Government:  Based on a government employee with fewer than 3 years service, vacation (leave) is accrued at 4 hours per pay period (104 hours per year). 

The average private security officer, armed or unarmed, makes roughly $28,000 per year, according to the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS).   

-   Private Sector:  One or two weeks (up to 80 hours) of vacation per year and have to pay for healthcare. Note:  Average cost of health insurance for a single person is $3,000 per year in the US ($250 per month).

There are other comparisons, but I wanted to keep it simple and simply mention pay, medical, and vacation time.
Serving since 1987.

J2H

My health ins is like 100 a month... but I am through a non-profit Masonic Community... trying to land a state job

MSG Mac

Quote from: Rick-DEL on February 20, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

Beats $95.40 a month in 1968. I got promoted to E-2 and had an annual pay raise in July of 68 and still didn't reach $100/month
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Rick-DEL

QuoteBeats $95.40 a month in 1968. I got promoted to E-2 and had an annual pay raise in July of 68 and still didn't reach $100/month

And to think, that was the going rate (plus HD pay) for those newbies deployed to Nam. My $620 per month faired much better. But, thanks to the E'Club Card at WAFB, it dissapeared quite rapidly too. Dang E'Club !!!!   :-[

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Stonewall on February 20, 2013, 04:30:38 PM
An Airman/E-2 USAF Security Forces member with less than 2 years in service makes approximately $36,000 per year.  This includes their non-taxed pay such as Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS).
I must be getting shafted royally then, even with full BAS because the DFAC was closed, but not getting the full $795/mo for BAH (for D-M) since I'm in the dorms, I made slightly less than $20,788 last year before taxes.  This is as an E-3 with less than 2 years service, granted I'm not a 3P0, I'm a 3D0.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

SarDragon

Tm, that $36,000 may be an RMC computation, where they figure in health care, and the tax advantage on allowances.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

I was making 42,300 when I got out of the Air Force in Sep 2012.  I was Rolled back due to PT failure (and loss of clearance)... I was trying to get on with the Army Guard, but I have medical conditions that they don't want to send me to MEPS with, so I tossed around doing MD Def Force as well. I think the Active AF limits age to 37 (I believe).

Was that because of HYT? Have you thought about AGR?

When it comes to civil service jobs. Take what ever is available. Get your foot in the door and it is no big deal to promote from department to department. Good luck

ColonelJack

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 20, 2013, 05:17:21 PM
Beats $95.40 a month in 1968. I got promoted to E-2 and had an annual pay raise in July of 68 and still didn't reach $100/month

One thing to remember, though ... in 1968, $95.40 went a lot farther than it does today.  A lot farther.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

MSG Mac

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 21, 2013, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on February 20, 2013, 05:17:21 PM

One thing to remember, though ... in 1968, $95.40 went a lot farther than it does today.  A lot farther.

Jack

Yes it did, but after taxes etc. it was only $42 per payday, or less than $3 per day. There was no BAS/BAQ because the military provided meals and barracks
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Stonewall

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 21, 2013, 03:47:58 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on February 20, 2013, 04:30:38 PM
An Airman/E-2 USAF Security Forces member with less than 2 years in service makes approximately $36,000 per year.  This includes their non-taxed pay such as Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS).
I must be getting shafted royally then, even with full BAS because the DFAC was closed, but not getting the full $795/mo for BAH (for D-M) since I'm in the dorms, I made slightly less than $20,788 last year before taxes.  This is as an E-3 with less than 2 years service, granted I'm not a 3P0, I'm a 3D0.

Well, duh.  You're in the dorms, i.e. free living quarters.  So there you go making $20,788 PLUS a free place to live.  If you were living off base and getting BAH, you'd be making $30,328.  A LOT of money for a young person with a high school diploma.  Not to mention, free dental/medical and 30 days paid leave a year.

Remember, in my pay analysis, I used averages, so yeah, it'll be a little different between locations.
Serving since 1987.

J2H

The Air Force (Guard/Reserves) won't take me.  I was rolled back due to failed PT and they factored in my loss of security clearance.  The Army was my only option since most MOS' don't require a clearance...