Main Menu

Guess I'm too old...

Started by Rick-DEL, January 28, 2013, 07:12:48 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 01:23:28 AM
Quote from: Devil Doc on January 28, 2013, 11:22:53 PM
Im 26 and cant go back in :( I would be taking a paycut.

Pay cut?  How much do you make?  Did you get a job as a GS 9?

E4 over 4 years...

Base pay:  $2,305 (E4 with 4+ years)
BAH: $927 (E4 without dependents in North Carolina)
BAS: $352

$43,000 is pretty [darn] good for a young single troop without a college degree. 

The California Post secondary Education Commission provides salary information for each state in the United States. High school graduates earned the most in Connecticut, where the average annual salary was $31,776.  They earned the least in Idaho, making an average of $22,850 per year.

I'm just shy of 23, and that would be a Paycut for me. I have a degree, but had the job well before then. It is what it is. Quite different, depending on your job.

Rick-DEL

Would one consider waking up tired and crickety a sign not to do it?  :D

I'll call and check it out...thinking present term, I could do it both physically/mentally. But, what about in 10+ years from now? Hmmmm, might be second guessing myself. I have no issues with deployments, but the challenge at work would be getting the time for Tech School as I would have to repeat it since my break is long. I know there are laws in place to protect my position, but financially I would be at a loss during that time and wouldn't want to leave the wife and kids short-handed.

I'll place a call this afternoon, I got the local POC's number at hand and will run some questions by her.

Texas Raiders

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 28, 2013, 07:12:48 PM
My hurdle is that I would be challenged to attend a 12 week OCS (due to full time job).

I could be mistaken, but I believe the Soldiers and Sailors Act would have that covered. 
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Rick-DEL

I believe it would too. ANG goes to a different school and it is 6 weeks, USCG Reserve for the direct commission program go 2 weeks. I'm about to call and ask a few questions.

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 29, 2013, 02:17:06 AM
I will loose my VA Disability if i went back in yes ;)

Btw, Stonewall I do have a College Education :)

Im a GS-5 Step 2, will be GS 6 in Couple of Months

My Rating will be going up Soon Also, just waiting on the VA, Which takes way too long.

Okay, I didn't know you had a bachelor's degree.

As a GS6 with your current disability pay you'd be making just a little more than a single E4 with 4+ years on active duty.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 29, 2013, 04:52:49 AMI'm just shy of 23, and that would be a Paycut for me. I have a degree, but had the job well before then. It is what it is. Quite different, depending on your job.

Obviously I was talking averages based on locality.  You're in a different boat than the average American.  You're also not Devil Doc who is a combat veteran with a disability.

My point (and I argue this quite often) is that military members are paid a lot more than people think.  You'd be surprised at how many people ask me (as a veteran and someone still serving in the guard) if enlisting is a good idea.  Granted, it isn't for everyone and I'm very selective of who I think should be allowed to serve, but generally I tell people "hell yeah, enlist!"

Naturally, people are concerned about going into harm's way, so I remind them that roughly 10% of military jobs are exposed to direct combat with the rest being in support positions.  Then I explain the pay and benefits and people are usually blown away.  The hourly guys that work for me are shocked when I tell them.  While my guys are getting paid an average of $12 an hour AND have to pay for their healthcare benefits, I show them the military pay schedule, plus BAH and BAS, PLUS 30 days paid leave a year, free healthcare, etc....and they're ready to sign up.  "You mean I can have a chill support job making double what I make now, and can retire in 20 years?"
That's right!

To compare:

Amn/E2 USAF Security Forces member with base pay, BAS, and BAH would make $36,000 a year.  That's a guy without college and less than 2 years in service.

Civilian Security Officer making $13.50 an hour (average for this line of work) would make an annual salary of about $28,000.  Not to mention having to pay healthcare costs ($170 per month for a single guy where I work) and gets 2 weeks (80 hours) of vacation time a year.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 29, 2013, 12:56:53 PM

I'll call and check it out...thinking present term, I could do it both physically/mentally. But, what about in 10+ years from now? Hmmmm, might be second guessing myself. I have no issues with deployments, but the challenge at work would be getting the time for Tech School as I would have to repeat it since my break is long. I know there are laws in place to protect my position, but financially I would be at a loss during that time and wouldn't want to leave the wife and kids short-handed.

I'll place a call this afternoon, I got the local POC's number at hand and will run some questions by her.

45 is NOT old.  55 is NOT old.  We've got guys/gals in my wing that go the full length and retire at 60.  Some of them are in better shape than the young whipper snappers who can't even run 1 1/2 miles without stopping (I see it all the time...too often).

I will say this, and I'm told I'm too "harsh" or "aggressive" when I tell people this, but if you are worried about your job and missing work, or losing money, then don't do it.  If you can't miss work to make it to drill weekends or required training because your job is either too valuable financially or is more important to national security than your part-time gig in the reserves/guard, then don't do it.

If you decide to do it, then don't worry about missing work.  You're covered.  I'm not saying abuse the laws that favor your service (people do all the time and it pisses me off), but don't don your uniform and be worried that you'll lose your job.  If you do, there are blood thirsty lawyers that will quickly change your employer's mind.

Too often, we get police officers, postal works, IRS employees, fire fighters, prison guards, and even a US Marshal who can't train/show up/deploy "because of their job" and that really hurts the unit.  They're happy to use the benefits of serving, but consider it to be a hassle or inconvenience to their personal or professional life to actually do what they signed up to do.  This is why I think bonuses shouldn't be paid out until you complete your enlistment in good standing. It hurts the unit when your 13 man team can't train up to par because one, two, or even three guys "can't" make it to training.  Or when you've trained/worked together for years and when it comes time to deploy someone requests a hardship excusal because of their job, where they really don't want to lose money. 

/rant.
Serving since 1987.

The CyBorg is destroyed

With a bachelor's degree, couldn't he be considered for a commission?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Stonewall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 29, 2013, 02:18:13 PM

Of course.  In the Air Guard, they are FEW and FAR BETWEEN these days.  We have a lot of enlisted college graduates who enlisted with the intentions of applying for Officer jobs.  They're getting quite frustrated.  Usually the ones that are open have specific requirements like nurses, doctors, chaplains or legal officers.
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

I dont have a Bachelors Degree :( I have an Associates Degree with Training Certificates :) I also have a few Con Ed courses also. I will be working soon, once my Son gets older, on my Bachelors. Found out i can use 80% Post 911 GI bill, so when the time is right  i will get my degree in....... Health Information Technology/Healthcare Management/Office Administration/or Medical Assisting :)
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 02:13:23 PM
Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 29, 2013, 12:56:53 PM

45 is NOT old.  55 is NOT old.  We've got guys/gals in my wing that go the full length and retire at 60.  Some of them are in better shape than the young whipper snappers who can't even run 1 1/2 miles without stopping (I see it all the time...too often).

I will say this, and I'm told I'm too "harsh" or "aggressive" when I tell people this, but if you are worried about your job and missing work, or losing money, then don't do it.  If you can't miss work to make it to drill weekends or required training because your job is either too valuable financially or is more important to national security than your part-time gig in the reserves/guard, then don't do it.

If you decide to do it, then don't worry about missing work.  You're covered.  I'm not saying abuse the laws that favor your service (people do all the time and it pisses me off), but don't don your uniform and be worried that you'll lose your job.  If you do, there are blood thirsty lawyers that will quickly change your employer's mind.

Too often, we get police officers, postal works, IRS employees, fire fighters, prison guards, and even a US Marshal who can't train/show up/deploy "because of their job" and that really hurts the unit.  They're happy to use the benefits of serving, but consider it to be a hassle or inconvenience to their personal or professional life to actually do what they signed up to do.  This is why I think bonuses shouldn't be paid out until you complete your enlistment in good standing. It hurts the unit when your 13 man team can't train up to par because one, two, or even three guys "can't" make it to training.  Or when you've trained/worked together for years and when it comes time to deploy someone requests a hardship excusal because of their job, where they really don't want to lose money. 

/rant.

That's a good rant Stonewall and totally makes sense, and I for one do not think it is too harsh. These are things I have to fgure out and weigh the pros/cons. But, if go solely on my personal feelings and do this solely for me, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. But, I have a wife and 3 kids that factor in obviously and it should. So, therefore that needs to be considered, and part of that is the finances. So, your points are 100% legit and I wouldn't (nor have I) challenge them.

I have served in the ANG as well, and I have seen it too. This is why it makes my decision so much more difficult, I don't want to be one of them. If I were needing under 8 or so, it wouldn't be too bad, but knowing I need another 14 or so, that makes it tough. But I do appreciate the straight-forward no-nonsense this is the way it is rant. I for one would never want hinder a unit. I served as a SP and did rotations in/out of Colombia with the DEA doing drug interidctions, I know for sure if we were one man down and had incapable folks on the squad, we're done. I don't want to be that guy.

I joined CAP becuase it was a way for me to sort of "hold on" to that former life that I missed. I'll sort it out...

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 02:22:20 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 29, 2013, 02:18:13 PM

Of course.  In the Air Guard, they are FEW and FAR BETWEEN these days.  We have a lot of enlisted college graduates who enlisted with the intentions of applying for Officer jobs.  They're getting quite frustrated.  Usually the ones that are open have specific requirements like nurses, doctors, chaplains or legal officers.

Just read up on that last night. About 500 get selected each year nationwide to attend the 6 week school at Maxwell. From what I read, very stiff competition and a big waiting line. Folks may never get to attend or wait years to apply.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 29, 2013, 02:26:28 PM
I dont have a Bachelors Degree :( I have an Associates Degree with Training Certificates :) I also have a few Con Ed courses also. I will be working soon, once my Son gets older, on my Bachelors. Found out i can use 80% Post 911 GI bill, so when the time is right  i will get my degree in....... Health Information Technology/Healthcare Management/Office Administration/or Medical Assisting :)

Cool. You're never too old to pack in a few new brain cells. I just finished my Bachelors. Burned through the GI Bill and used tuition assistance from work, but got it done.

Stonewall

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 29, 2013, 02:29:51 PMBut, I have a wife and 3 kids that factor in obviously and it should.

Family - always the most important factor.  That's why I don't volunteer for "deployments" to Curacao, Puerto Rico, or Saudi.  If I have to be away from my family, only send me to where the fighting is.  It needs to be worth it.
Serving since 1987.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 02:46:51 PM
Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 29, 2013, 02:29:51 PMBut, I have a wife and 3 kids that factor in obviously and it should.

Family - always the most important factor.  That's why I don't volunteer for "deployments" to Curacao, Puerto Rico, or Saudi.  If I have to be away from my family, only send me to where the fighting is.  It needs to be worth it.

Agree on that totally

GroundHawg

I lost money every drill weekend, and that was before I finished my degree. I was making 52K per year, but since I didnt have enough senority to hold weekends, I lost 2 to 3 days of pay every month, and during the winter when I would make great OT de-icing, it was even worse. I finally switched MOS's to get closer to home, and would go to drill, and then work afterwards. It was rough, but worth it.
Im guessing its not about the money for you either. Good luck.

Stonewall

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 30, 2013, 01:05:04 AM
I lost money every drill weekend, and that was before I finished my degree. I was making 52K per year, but since I didnt have enough senority to hold weekends, I lost 2 to 3 days of pay every month, and during the winter when I would make great OT de-icing, it was even worse. I finally switched MOS's to get closer to home, and would go to drill, and then work afterwards. It was rough, but worth it.
Im guessing its not about the money for you either. Good luck.

FYI - before taxes, I make $571 for a drill weekend.

At $52,000 a year, that's $200 a day, $171 less than I make at drill, unless you throw in overtime.  But if you're like me, my salaried job doesn't pay overtime.  40 hours of 50 hours, I make the same.  Unfortunately I work 50 hour weeks  :(
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Dang Stonewall, 52k a year, I want your job :P What do you do? You prolly already know what I do, lol.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 30, 2013, 01:29:31 AM
Dang Stonewall, 52k a year, I want your job :P What do you do? You prolly already know what I do, lol.

I don't make $52,000 a year. That was the figure quoted above so I used that as a reference.  But to answer your question, I recently took a job at a different company doing the same type work.  I'm a regional security manager for an international company based out of New York. I prefer not mentioning my employer by name for security reasons (not a secret, just don't feel it is necessary).

Since leaving active duty in 1995 I've worked in all sorts of gigs that are always related to security.  I've been a government employee, government contractor, worked for a UN agency, and private sector. I've been a credentialed gun toter, sanctioned stalker for the government, and headed up security at a 5 Diamond oceanfront golf resort.  Throughout my career I've been to 50+ countries, met heads of state, trained with JSOC ninjas, and eaten along side Bedouins in the desert.

In 2006 I left the jet set life I had in DC to start a family with my wife in Florida. I joined the Air Guard to satisfy my need for shooting, leading and training good people, and serving our nation as we continue to give it to the enemy.

When it comes to my civilian and military salaries, as an E-7 over 18 years I pretty much break even when I go on orders because of BAH & BAS.  If deployed, I actually make a little more because of additional pays (hostile fire, family sep, etc.) plus tax free income. 
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Why Florida? LOL. Thats an AWFULL State :angel:

I work for the government Also :) Lets just say the name of the Company starts with Department Of........
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 30, 2013, 02:56:04 AM
Why Florida? LOL. Thats an AWFULL State :angel:

I actually don't like it here, but I grew up here and this is where all of our family live.  Being that my wife and I are both in the Guard, it's good to have family around to support our family care plan.  I miss the hell out of DC.
Serving since 1987.