Main Menu

Guess I'm too old...

Started by Rick-DEL, January 28, 2013, 07:12:48 PM

Rick-DEL

So, I started tossing the idea around about re-entering the service in a Guard/Reserve capacity. But I do know at my tender age of 45 (46 in March) that I exceed the limits for maximum allowable age. I believe the real only potential shot I had would have been through a program offered by the Coast Guard for a Direct Commission into the USCG Reserves. After spending about 10-15 minutes on the phone talking with a PO at the other end - reality has set in and I must face the fear of getting old.

It's too bad, because I can certainly achieve things I put my mind to, so I know the 2 week indoctrination in CT would be fathomable both mentally and physically, as I am in decent shape (carryover from my AD days).

With this post, I shall post two questions.

• Should the reserve arms of our military branches offer special (and limited) waivers for those that meet pretty strict guidelines if only a year or so over the waiver allotment? USCG is 40, and even with my AD/ANG time minused from my age, I fall short.
  • Does anybody know of ANY other offerings from the other branches that I may not have come across? My hurdle is that I would be challenged to attend a 12 week OCS (due to full time job). USCGR was a whole whopping 2 weeks.

If none exist, I'll purchase my cane this weekend and proceed with life  ;)

Stonewall

Your signature line says "USAF Veteran".  How much TIS did you have?

In my Air Guard squadron, we ahd a guy come back in at age 48 (deployed at age 50) as a SSgt.  He spent some time on Active Duty and because he'd still be elligble for retirement by age 60, he was allowed back in.  And even though he attended tech school back in the 80s, because of the long break he had to attend it again.  We joke that he should wear two (of the same) function badges.

Serving since 1987.

Rick-DEL

Funny. He should go for a 3rd Occupational Badge (all in the same field of course).

I was Active from AUG 85 to NOV 89, then did a stint in the ANG From 93-96. AD time counts towards the deduction of age, year for year. ANG time is day for day. So, that comes to about 100 days worth of ANG time and about 1,600 AD. I would be hardluck to get my 20 in before I hit 60, and I cannot jump to AD to make up a year or two. Way too much of a pay cut and tough on the family with 3 kids.

Pretty sure it is less than 1% possible...just a thought I had over the last few months (of course cut into my virtual age).

Pylon

Did you talk with a Prior Service Recruiter for the Guard and/or Air Guard yet?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Rick-DEL

Not yet, that is my next course of action, I just did all the research I could utilizing each branches website and Q&A. I also talked to a Guard buddy of mine who has 23 years in (AD and ANG) and he states it would be tight but potentially possible (a slight one at that) as they had a guy who came in at 47 but he had twice the amount of AD I had and had another turned away at 48. Plus, I would have to fall into a slot, which is pretty tough now with the cuts at the state level.

PHall

The big thing is "can you complete 20 years of service by age 60"?
So if you're 45, but have 5 "good" years of sevice, you're good to go.
If you're 45 with less then 5 "good" years then you're SOL without an waiver.
And those waivers are pretty hard to come by unless you're in an MOS/AFSC they
they really need. And then it's a maybe. 

Rick-DEL

Yep, that is the way I see it too. I got 4 good years of Active Duty and with 3 years of ANG (which is really like 100 days or so) I fall short. Even with being a SEAL for 4 years, it won't cut it. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't a SEAL, I just wanted to see if I could get you to dribble some of your afternoon coffee. I served on AD as a Crew Chief and then when I went into the ANG, I cross-trained into Security Forces, which has no shortage from what I hear.

Stonewall

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 28, 2013, 07:47:07 PM
Yep, that is the way I see it too. I got 4 good years of Active Duty and with 3 years of ANG (which is really like 100 days or so) I fall short. Even with being a SEAL for 4 years, it won't cut it. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't a SEAL, I just wanted to see if I could get you to dribble some of your afternoon coffee. I served on AD as a Crew Chief and then when I went into the ANG, I cross-trained into Security Forces, which has no shortage from what I hear.

So ANG time is accountable by days, not years?  Even going back to the Guard?
Serving since 1987.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I just turned 47, so I'm even more of an old geezer.

Are you in a geographic area where you're near a state line?

If so, you might check with ANG/ARNG units in another state.  Sometimes different states can offer different options.

Have you considered going full-time Guard/Reserve; i.e. AGR/ART?  I know those positions can be hard to come by, though.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Rick-DEL

Yep, that is what the recruiting PO at USCG Baltimore told me earlier today. Guard/Reserve is day-for-day. Now, here is the weird thing...it counts year-for-year at the back end. So, say you have 4 years AD and 4 years Reserve, that would equal 8 years on the backside towards retirement, meaning technically you would only need 12 more.

But, it doesn't count like that on the front end. So, I cannot say 7 years minus my age of 45 making me virtually 38.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: CyBorg on January 28, 2013, 08:11:28 PM
I just turned 47, so I'm even more of an old geezer.

Are you in a geographic area where you're near a state line?

If so, you might check with ANG/ARNG units in another state.  Sometimes different states can offer different options.

Have you considered going full-time Guard/Reserve; i.e. AGR/ART?  I know those positions can be hard to come by, though.

I can easily cross into MD, NJ, or even PA if I would have too. But I have some friends in the DE side I would rather be with. AGR slots are very scarce. My buddy who is a C-130 FE has one, but it is rare they have them. And, I would take too much of a financial hit cutting from my cushy civie job to go full time. I would be strictly looking for the weekend warrior staus.

I understand I am limiting myself (if any holes where to open) by only wanting the reserve mode and so forth, but financially and family-wise, I do have limits. Family comes first.

PHall

You're computing your ANG time wrong.
A "good" year for a typical ANG troop consists of 12 drill weekends and a 15 day Annual Tour (aka Summer Camp).
That's 39 days at a minimum, but it counts as a "year".

The "good" year is what counts.

Rick-DEL

Just got off a "chat session" with the ANG online. There may be a shimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, we'll see. I'll be reaching out locally for more specifics. It'll come down to "good years" in the ANG I had. At that time, I had to leave the ANG because my civilian job had me traveling 80-85% of the time world-wide, working on an AAFES IT contract. So, I am not sure of the time I can factor from the ANG utilizing a "good year" rule. I jumped on man-days here and there trying to catch up, but travel made it nearly impossible back then.

Thanks for the clarification PHall

Stonewall

If Phil didn't clarify, I was about to.  I just called my unit's recruiter and she concurs with that.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

It will also depend on your re-enlistment code.   A prior-service recruiter can get that information if you don't know it.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Pylon on January 28, 2013, 10:03:48 PM
It will also depend on your re-enlistment code.   A prior-service recruiter can get that information if you don't know it.

It should be on his DD214/NGB22.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Im 26 and cant go back in :( I would be taking a paycut. I thaught CAP was weekend warrior? I wish i can go back in, but i do not think they want to see a grown man cry while taking the PT test.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 28, 2013, 11:22:53 PM
Im 26 and cant go back in :( I would be taking a paycut.

Pay cut?  How much do you make?  Did you get a job as a GS 9?

E4 over 4 years...

Base pay:  $2,305 (E4 with 4+ years)
BAH: $927 (E4 without dependents in North Carolina)
BAS: $352

$43,000 is pretty [darn] good for a young single troop without a college degree. 

The California Post secondary Education Commission provides salary information for each state in the United States. High school graduates earned the most in Connecticut, where the average annual salary was $31,776.  They earned the least in Idaho, making an average of $22,850 per year.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 01:23:28 AM

E4 over 4 years...

$43,000 is pretty [darn] good for a young single troop without a college degree. 

The California Post secondary Education Commission provides salary information for each state in the United States. High school graduates earned the most in Connecticut, where the average annual salary was $31,776.  They earned the least in Idaho, making an average of $22,850 per year.

I'm thinking that he's thinking that if he goes back into the military he will lose his disability benefit payments.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Devil Doc

Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2013, 01:58:01 AM

E4 over 4 years...

I'm thinking that he's thinking that if he goes back into the military he will lose his disability benefit payments.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I will loose my VA Disability if i went back in yes ;)

Btw, Stonewall I do have a College Education :)

Im a GS-5 Step 2, will be GS 6 in Couple of Months

My Rating will be going up Soon Also, just waiting on the VA, Which takes way too long.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

E4 over 4 years...

I'm just shy of 23, and that would be a Paycut for me. I have a degree, but had the job well before then. It is what it is. Quite different, depending on your job.

Rick-DEL

Would one consider waking up tired and crickety a sign not to do it?  :D

I'll call and check it out...thinking present term, I could do it both physically/mentally. But, what about in 10+ years from now? Hmmmm, might be second guessing myself. I have no issues with deployments, but the challenge at work would be getting the time for Tech School as I would have to repeat it since my break is long. I know there are laws in place to protect my position, but financially I would be at a loss during that time and wouldn't want to leave the wife and kids short-handed.

I'll place a call this afternoon, I got the local POC's number at hand and will run some questions by her.

Texas Raiders

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 28, 2013, 07:12:48 PM
My hurdle is that I would be challenged to attend a 12 week OCS (due to full time job).

I could be mistaken, but I believe the Soldiers and Sailors Act would have that covered. 
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Rick-DEL

I believe it would too. ANG goes to a different school and it is 6 weeks, USCG Reserve for the direct commission program go 2 weeks. I'm about to call and ask a few questions.

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 29, 2013, 02:17:06 AM
I will loose my VA Disability if i went back in yes ;)

Btw, Stonewall I do have a College Education :)

Im a GS-5 Step 2, will be GS 6 in Couple of Months

My Rating will be going up Soon Also, just waiting on the VA, Which takes way too long.

Okay, I didn't know you had a bachelor's degree.

As a GS6 with your current disability pay you'd be making just a little more than a single E4 with 4+ years on active duty.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 29, 2013, 04:52:49 AMI'm just shy of 23, and that would be a Paycut for me. I have a degree, but had the job well before then. It is what it is. Quite different, depending on your job.

Obviously I was talking averages based on locality.  You're in a different boat than the average American.  You're also not Devil Doc who is a combat veteran with a disability.

My point (and I argue this quite often) is that military members are paid a lot more than people think.  You'd be surprised at how many people ask me (as a veteran and someone still serving in the guard) if enlisting is a good idea.  Granted, it isn't for everyone and I'm very selective of who I think should be allowed to serve, but generally I tell people "hell yeah, enlist!"

Naturally, people are concerned about going into harm's way, so I remind them that roughly 10% of military jobs are exposed to direct combat with the rest being in support positions.  Then I explain the pay and benefits and people are usually blown away.  The hourly guys that work for me are shocked when I tell them.  While my guys are getting paid an average of $12 an hour AND have to pay for their healthcare benefits, I show them the military pay schedule, plus BAH and BAS, PLUS 30 days paid leave a year, free healthcare, etc....and they're ready to sign up.  "You mean I can have a chill support job making double what I make now, and can retire in 20 years?"
That's right!

To compare:

Amn/E2 USAF Security Forces member with base pay, BAS, and BAH would make $36,000 a year.  That's a guy without college and less than 2 years in service.

Civilian Security Officer making $13.50 an hour (average for this line of work) would make an annual salary of about $28,000.  Not to mention having to pay healthcare costs ($170 per month for a single guy where I work) and gets 2 weeks (80 hours) of vacation time a year.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 29, 2013, 12:56:53 PM

I'll call and check it out...thinking present term, I could do it both physically/mentally. But, what about in 10+ years from now? Hmmmm, might be second guessing myself. I have no issues with deployments, but the challenge at work would be getting the time for Tech School as I would have to repeat it since my break is long. I know there are laws in place to protect my position, but financially I would be at a loss during that time and wouldn't want to leave the wife and kids short-handed.

I'll place a call this afternoon, I got the local POC's number at hand and will run some questions by her.

45 is NOT old.  55 is NOT old.  We've got guys/gals in my wing that go the full length and retire at 60.  Some of them are in better shape than the young whipper snappers who can't even run 1 1/2 miles without stopping (I see it all the time...too often).

I will say this, and I'm told I'm too "harsh" or "aggressive" when I tell people this, but if you are worried about your job and missing work, or losing money, then don't do it.  If you can't miss work to make it to drill weekends or required training because your job is either too valuable financially or is more important to national security than your part-time gig in the reserves/guard, then don't do it.

If you decide to do it, then don't worry about missing work.  You're covered.  I'm not saying abuse the laws that favor your service (people do all the time and it pisses me off), but don't don your uniform and be worried that you'll lose your job.  If you do, there are blood thirsty lawyers that will quickly change your employer's mind.

Too often, we get police officers, postal works, IRS employees, fire fighters, prison guards, and even a US Marshal who can't train/show up/deploy "because of their job" and that really hurts the unit.  They're happy to use the benefits of serving, but consider it to be a hassle or inconvenience to their personal or professional life to actually do what they signed up to do.  This is why I think bonuses shouldn't be paid out until you complete your enlistment in good standing. It hurts the unit when your 13 man team can't train up to par because one, two, or even three guys "can't" make it to training.  Or when you've trained/worked together for years and when it comes time to deploy someone requests a hardship excusal because of their job, where they really don't want to lose money. 

/rant.
Serving since 1987.

The CyBorg is destroyed

With a bachelor's degree, couldn't he be considered for a commission?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Stonewall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 29, 2013, 02:18:13 PM

Of course.  In the Air Guard, they are FEW and FAR BETWEEN these days.  We have a lot of enlisted college graduates who enlisted with the intentions of applying for Officer jobs.  They're getting quite frustrated.  Usually the ones that are open have specific requirements like nurses, doctors, chaplains or legal officers.
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

I dont have a Bachelors Degree :( I have an Associates Degree with Training Certificates :) I also have a few Con Ed courses also. I will be working soon, once my Son gets older, on my Bachelors. Found out i can use 80% Post 911 GI bill, so when the time is right  i will get my degree in....... Health Information Technology/Healthcare Management/Office Administration/or Medical Assisting :)
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 02:13:23 PM
Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 29, 2013, 12:56:53 PM

45 is NOT old.  55 is NOT old.  We've got guys/gals in my wing that go the full length and retire at 60.  Some of them are in better shape than the young whipper snappers who can't even run 1 1/2 miles without stopping (I see it all the time...too often).

I will say this, and I'm told I'm too "harsh" or "aggressive" when I tell people this, but if you are worried about your job and missing work, or losing money, then don't do it.  If you can't miss work to make it to drill weekends or required training because your job is either too valuable financially or is more important to national security than your part-time gig in the reserves/guard, then don't do it.

If you decide to do it, then don't worry about missing work.  You're covered.  I'm not saying abuse the laws that favor your service (people do all the time and it pisses me off), but don't don your uniform and be worried that you'll lose your job.  If you do, there are blood thirsty lawyers that will quickly change your employer's mind.

Too often, we get police officers, postal works, IRS employees, fire fighters, prison guards, and even a US Marshal who can't train/show up/deploy "because of their job" and that really hurts the unit.  They're happy to use the benefits of serving, but consider it to be a hassle or inconvenience to their personal or professional life to actually do what they signed up to do.  This is why I think bonuses shouldn't be paid out until you complete your enlistment in good standing. It hurts the unit when your 13 man team can't train up to par because one, two, or even three guys "can't" make it to training.  Or when you've trained/worked together for years and when it comes time to deploy someone requests a hardship excusal because of their job, where they really don't want to lose money. 

/rant.

That's a good rant Stonewall and totally makes sense, and I for one do not think it is too harsh. These are things I have to fgure out and weigh the pros/cons. But, if go solely on my personal feelings and do this solely for me, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. But, I have a wife and 3 kids that factor in obviously and it should. So, therefore that needs to be considered, and part of that is the finances. So, your points are 100% legit and I wouldn't (nor have I) challenge them.

I have served in the ANG as well, and I have seen it too. This is why it makes my decision so much more difficult, I don't want to be one of them. If I were needing under 8 or so, it wouldn't be too bad, but knowing I need another 14 or so, that makes it tough. But I do appreciate the straight-forward no-nonsense this is the way it is rant. I for one would never want hinder a unit. I served as a SP and did rotations in/out of Colombia with the DEA doing drug interidctions, I know for sure if we were one man down and had incapable folks on the squad, we're done. I don't want to be that guy.

I joined CAP becuase it was a way for me to sort of "hold on" to that former life that I missed. I'll sort it out...

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 02:22:20 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 29, 2013, 02:18:13 PM

Of course.  In the Air Guard, they are FEW and FAR BETWEEN these days.  We have a lot of enlisted college graduates who enlisted with the intentions of applying for Officer jobs.  They're getting quite frustrated.  Usually the ones that are open have specific requirements like nurses, doctors, chaplains or legal officers.

Just read up on that last night. About 500 get selected each year nationwide to attend the 6 week school at Maxwell. From what I read, very stiff competition and a big waiting line. Folks may never get to attend or wait years to apply.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 29, 2013, 02:26:28 PM
I dont have a Bachelors Degree :( I have an Associates Degree with Training Certificates :) I also have a few Con Ed courses also. I will be working soon, once my Son gets older, on my Bachelors. Found out i can use 80% Post 911 GI bill, so when the time is right  i will get my degree in....... Health Information Technology/Healthcare Management/Office Administration/or Medical Assisting :)

Cool. You're never too old to pack in a few new brain cells. I just finished my Bachelors. Burned through the GI Bill and used tuition assistance from work, but got it done.

Stonewall

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 29, 2013, 02:29:51 PMBut, I have a wife and 3 kids that factor in obviously and it should.

Family - always the most important factor.  That's why I don't volunteer for "deployments" to Curacao, Puerto Rico, or Saudi.  If I have to be away from my family, only send me to where the fighting is.  It needs to be worth it.
Serving since 1987.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 02:46:51 PM
Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 29, 2013, 02:29:51 PMBut, I have a wife and 3 kids that factor in obviously and it should.

Family - always the most important factor.  That's why I don't volunteer for "deployments" to Curacao, Puerto Rico, or Saudi.  If I have to be away from my family, only send me to where the fighting is.  It needs to be worth it.

Agree on that totally

GroundHawg

I lost money every drill weekend, and that was before I finished my degree. I was making 52K per year, but since I didnt have enough senority to hold weekends, I lost 2 to 3 days of pay every month, and during the winter when I would make great OT de-icing, it was even worse. I finally switched MOS's to get closer to home, and would go to drill, and then work afterwards. It was rough, but worth it.
Im guessing its not about the money for you either. Good luck.

Stonewall

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 30, 2013, 01:05:04 AM
I lost money every drill weekend, and that was before I finished my degree. I was making 52K per year, but since I didnt have enough senority to hold weekends, I lost 2 to 3 days of pay every month, and during the winter when I would make great OT de-icing, it was even worse. I finally switched MOS's to get closer to home, and would go to drill, and then work afterwards. It was rough, but worth it.
Im guessing its not about the money for you either. Good luck.

FYI - before taxes, I make $571 for a drill weekend.

At $52,000 a year, that's $200 a day, $171 less than I make at drill, unless you throw in overtime.  But if you're like me, my salaried job doesn't pay overtime.  40 hours of 50 hours, I make the same.  Unfortunately I work 50 hour weeks  :(
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Dang Stonewall, 52k a year, I want your job :P What do you do? You prolly already know what I do, lol.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 30, 2013, 01:29:31 AM
Dang Stonewall, 52k a year, I want your job :P What do you do? You prolly already know what I do, lol.

I don't make $52,000 a year. That was the figure quoted above so I used that as a reference.  But to answer your question, I recently took a job at a different company doing the same type work.  I'm a regional security manager for an international company based out of New York. I prefer not mentioning my employer by name for security reasons (not a secret, just don't feel it is necessary).

Since leaving active duty in 1995 I've worked in all sorts of gigs that are always related to security.  I've been a government employee, government contractor, worked for a UN agency, and private sector. I've been a credentialed gun toter, sanctioned stalker for the government, and headed up security at a 5 Diamond oceanfront golf resort.  Throughout my career I've been to 50+ countries, met heads of state, trained with JSOC ninjas, and eaten along side Bedouins in the desert.

In 2006 I left the jet set life I had in DC to start a family with my wife in Florida. I joined the Air Guard to satisfy my need for shooting, leading and training good people, and serving our nation as we continue to give it to the enemy.

When it comes to my civilian and military salaries, as an E-7 over 18 years I pretty much break even when I go on orders because of BAH & BAS.  If deployed, I actually make a little more because of additional pays (hostile fire, family sep, etc.) plus tax free income. 
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Why Florida? LOL. Thats an AWFULL State :angel:

I work for the government Also :) Lets just say the name of the Company starts with Department Of........
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 30, 2013, 02:56:04 AM
Why Florida? LOL. Thats an AWFULL State :angel:

I actually don't like it here, but I grew up here and this is where all of our family live.  Being that my wife and I are both in the Guard, it's good to have family around to support our family care plan.  I miss the hell out of DC.
Serving since 1987.

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Stonewall on January 30, 2013, 03:00:32 AM
I miss the hell out of DC.

Knowing what I know of you here, my guess is Fairfax misses the hell out of you.

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Devil Doc

I dont think i would Miss D.C. Too Many People. I would like to live round Richmond Though, or just stay where i am.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

ProdigalJim

I got trapped here in the DC area 25 years ago for work, and still feel like I'm only here temporarily. I grew up near some of the best salmon fishing in the lower 48, and if I had my druthers that's where I'd be right now.

I miss salmon, snowmobiles, snow and Canadian beer...  :(
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Treadhead

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it-- but if you live in a state that has an active State Defense Force (SDF) , that might be the best way to go.

In CA, the California State Military Reserve (CSMR) is as close to being in the military as you can get when age precludes you from membership in the federal armed forces.  We're considered military, but under the governor as opposed to the president.  We have both an Army as well as an Air Force component.  And the only way I can't tell the federal military folks from their state counterparts is by looking at the patches on the uniforms.

SDF's are recognized by congress under article 32.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

flyboy53

So, I started tossing the idea around about re-entering the service in a Guard/Reserve capacity. But I do know at my tender age of 45 (46 in March) that I exceed the limits for maximum allowable age. I believe the real only potential shot I had would have been through a program offered by the Coast Guard for a Direct Commission into the USCG Reserves. After spending about 10-15 minutes on the phone talking with a PO at the other end - reality has set in and I must face the fear of getting old.

It's too bad, because I can certainly achieve things I put my mind to, so I know the 2 week indoctrination in CT would be fathomable both mentally and physically, as I am in decent shape (carryover from my AD days).

With this post, I shall post two questions.

• Should the reserve arms of our military branches offer special (and limited) waivers for those that meet pretty strict guidelines if only a year or so over the waiver allotment? USCG is 40, and even with my AD/ANG time minused from my age, I fall short.
  • Does anybody know of ANY other offerings from the other branches that I may not have come across? My hurdle is that I would be challenged to attend a 12 week OCS (due to full time job). USCGR was a whole whopping 2 weeks.

If none exist, I'll purchase my cane this weekend and proceed with life  ;)

I realize theere are several answers in the string above, but having been a reserve recruiter for a number of years, your options aren't exhausted if you have prior service  and guard time.

Certainly returning to the regular military may be out, but I would check the guard and reserve units to see what exists and go from there. If you goal is to just return to active duty, the regular side is out, but the reserve side offers things like USC Title 10 tours which may be mostly recruiting duty or assignments at command level. These are all application processes and you may not qualify for them. For the guard, those are Title 32 tours. Some units are still actively deploying overseas for extended periods of time.

If it's just to return to a reserve or guard unit to get the remaining 15 years in, you need to check to see what other assignments are out there. There are different categories of participation such as CAP-RAP, FEMA or Individual Mobilization Augmentees (IMA)s and you may find a slot that allows for promotion to higher grades.

I would way your options. If the assignment calls for a reduction in rank, remember that once you're back in the pipeline, you start searching for those positions that allow for a return to your rank or higher. Otherwise, you retire at the highest rank held.

One other thing, before you do this, talk it over with your family to get their support because the time committment may be a problem.

Rick-DEL

Thanks for the info flyboy1. I appreciate it. I have some research to do.

Threadhead, I was looking at that yesterday actually and talked to a fellow CAP member who was in the MDDF a while back. I live in DE and we do not have one, but PA and MD do. Problem is that both are on CAP squadron meeting nights and would be about 160 mile round trip.

I'll have to weigh out some options, look at time requirements, and so forth. If I do this (one of them) it won't be a half-level committment. I saw that with some folks in the ANG back in the day, and I wouldn't want to be like that. I am very active in CAP.

Another thing I looked at yesterday and put a feeler out (in addition to a previous PM to a CT'er) there was the CGAux. I know quite afew people in CT are in both CAP and CGAux. I would be looking for an active unit in my area. If anybody is in both and can share what a typical "tour" is, please let me know.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 31, 2013, 12:58:18 PM
Another thing I looked at yesterday and put a feeler out (in addition to a previous PM to a CT'er) there was the CGAux. I know quite afew people in CT are in both CAP and CGAux. I would be looking for an active unit in my area. If anybody is in both and can share what a typical "tour" is, please let me know.

CGAux is a worthy organisation, much more closely-linked to the USCG than we are to the USAF.

They are unpaid volunteers, just as we are, and they have a system of insignia close to the USCG/Navy...but without the rank titles, and they do not salute one another, though they do salute military members.

It's kind of like CAP in that you really can't say what a typical flotilla (basic unit) is like.  Some are as operational as can be, and others are "let's talk about my boat" clubs.  Shop around, though with you being near the East Coast (and probably quite a few CG stations) you shouldn't have a problem finding one.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Rick-DEL

So, for an update.

I talked to the USAFR Sreening Center last night to inquire about the IMA program. I do not qualify for that gig because you must have a current AFSC, mine have "expired" due to the time I have been out of the service. So my 5 skill level in Acft. Maintenance (AD) and Security Forces (ANG) are back to a 1-level, therefore eliminating IMA as an option. But, I do however qualify for the USAFR as a traditional reservist through a special program for prior service who have challenges attending a long duration tech school (financially/family status/etc). I was wondering if any USAF Vets here worked in the Air Transportation field. This program in AT for the USAFR is 2 weeks long and held at Dobbins. And, my ASVABs from 84 are still strong enough to qualify, go figure....

If anybody is interested in IMA, here is some info: www.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/document/afd-080408-050.pdf

flyboy53

Air Transportation is what used to be called air cargo. It used to be a high-need bonus AFSC and could be accomplished through OJT instead of tech school. That is why it is probably being offered to you as an IMA Assignment.

I would go for that one. It's hard work, loading aircarft and screening pax, but very rewarding. In an Air Mobility Command unit, these are the guys and gals who paletize, load and unload the aircraft. They're also the ones who train to be parachute riggers. If it is still a bonus career field, there' may be extra money involved once you get qualified.

I served in a C-5A wing during Desert Storm. These guys worked round the clock and and many were depolyed into the forward operating area to receive the aircraft cargo.

Private Investigator

So, I started tossing the idea around about re-entering the service in a Guard/Reserve capacity. ...

Is this due to a midlife crisis? Or unemployment?

I solve my issues by buying a Corvette   8)

Rick-DEL

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 03, 2013, 05:10:43 PM
So, I started tossing the idea around about re-entering the service in a Guard/Reserve capacity. ...

Is this due to a midlife crisis? Or unemployment?

I solve my issues by buying a Corvette   8)

Not from unemployment, I get paid very well and would take a good size financial hit if deployed. I think it has more to do with finishing off something I had started decades ago. I miss that aspect of the life I once had. But, I also understand that I have different responsibilities now than I did back then. So, they weigh into any decision I make about anything in my life. Unless I get 100% support from the entire family, I do not pursue this, its not about me anymore. A lot of thinking went on this weekend with family, friends serving, and in church. I absorbed all points and views. It may be that I accept my time has come and gone. I served 7 years, and that can never be taking away from me. If I were needing like 5-6 years, I would probably do it. But 13 is a lot. And this world is not settling down. I'll figure it out.

In regard to a mid-life crises, possibly. Maybe a go find a 68 Camaro SS ragtop?

Private Investigator

^

I feel ya. I miss active duty too. But I decided to become rich. CAP is my way of giving back.

My brother got a 68 Camaro hardtop. Good call but I am a Dodge/Plymouth guy   ;)

The CyBorg is destroyed

I used to have a 1973 Mustang (the one with the real long nose).  I miss it. :(

Rick, does it matter to you whether your service is actually paid in money?  If so, SDF's are kind of the same bag as CAP and CGAUX.  It depends on the state, but most only get paid, if actually called to duty by their Governor.

Around the time I joined CAP, the SDF near where I lived tried pretty hard to recruit me.  It would have been into a Warrant Officer 1 position overseeing an armoury's computer operations.

However, the recruiter told me that I could not have dual CAP/SDF membership (YMMV, dependent on state).  He was the one who told me that there were funds "allocated" to pay SDF troops called to State Duty but that there were fairly stringent conditions under which a Governor would opt to do so; i.e., if a state's entire Guard were Federalised.

I had a conversation some years later with a dual membership CAP/ANG (AGR) MSgt.  I asked him who would manage the ANGB in the event his Wing was Federalised and sent overseas.

He frowned a bit and said (direct quote):

"I thought that was one thing that the Civil Air Patrol would do."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on February 06, 2013, 12:24:57 AM

If so, SDF's are kind of the same bag as CAP and CGAUX. 

The Mach 1 !!! I remember how excellent that was !!!

It depends on the SDF and YMMV. When I need my wife's birthday off, I need my wife's birthday off. With CAP I tried to be diligent, perfect attendance and whatever comes up. But if I am not available, I am not available. Moost Unit Commanders understand that.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 06, 2013, 09:12:53 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on February 06, 2013, 12:24:57 AM

The Mach 1 !!! I remember how excellent that was !!!

Actually, I didn't have the Mach 1.  I had the Grande, which was the coupe version (royal blue with a white ragtop).  351 Windsor...no gas mileage, but plenty of power.

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 06, 2013, 09:12:53 AM
With CAP I tried to be diligent, perfect attendance and whatever comes up. But if I am not available, I am not available. Moost Unit Commanders understand that.

I am going through an issue with that right now, and, frankly, I'm on the verge of leaving CAP, this time for good. >:(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on February 06, 2013, 11:13:28 PM
I am going through an issue with that right now, and, frankly, I'm on the verge of leaving CAP, this time for good. >:(

The downside of CAP is we really do not take care of our people. I am on the verge of semi-retirement I can not fly anymore so I might go USCG Aux.

Rick-DEL

I am thinking about CGAux myself. I'll need to visit a few flotillas to check them out. I have 5 in my region, but 3 of them are on the same night I have CAP. Those are the close ones of course.

I just got word yesterday afternoon from the US Navy Reserves that I was 5 months too old. I had submitted a pre-package for DOC into the DCOIC for IP and had passed through the first two screenings (because of my military/civilian experience, my degree/high GPA, and community service). I interviewed and it went well. The next step was to get to the MEPS for a physical and then sit to face a board of O-7's and stack up against the competition. But, when we were validating information (because I needed to commission before my "virtual" 42nd birthday) it was caught that the original screener had entered by DOB wrong. So, when it was corrected, I became 5 months too old, instantly. No waivers. Oh well, no guarantees I would have beat out the many other applicants (who are younger and many still in AD or reserves). It was worth a shot.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 07, 2013, 10:47:31 AM
The downside of CAP is we really do not take care of our people. I am on the verge of semi-retirement I can not fly anymore so I might go USCG Aux.

No, we really don't.  I tried to even as a Deputy Commander.

But now it seems that if there's some sort of dispute/curiosity with the regs...you're on your own.

CAP is a lot more "every man/woman for themselves (on the senior side, anyway)" than it was in the CGAUX.

I'm considering a return to the CGAUX...if they'd have me back after a four-year absence (I did leave on honourable terms)...at least there wouldn't be all the pissing contests WRT promotions.

I have thought of the NSCC, but I doubt they'd have much use for a 48-year-old ensign.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Rick-DEL

I have thought of the NSCC, but I doubt they'd have much use for a 48-year-old ensign.

What is the NSCC? Also, when you were in CGAux, how active was the flotilla with actually going out on the water or in the air?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Rick-DEL on February 07, 2013, 03:44:25 PM

What is the NSCC? Also, when you were in CGAux, how active was the flotilla with actually going out on the water or in the air?

Navy Sea Cadet Corps

http://www.seacadets.org/public/

The flotilla I originally joined had a retired USCGR Lt Cdr running it, and he was very active in being out on the water.  I earned Vessel Crew through him.  I have never seen or met anyone in the AUXAIR section.  It is really quite small.

However, when I moved and wanted to transfer to another flotilla, the ones I found seemed to be "let's sit around and talk about my boat"..."Oh, you don't have a boat?  Why are you here?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

J2H

I was making 42,300 when I got out of the Air Force in Sep 2012.  I was Rolled back due to PT failure (and loss of clearance)... I was trying to get on with the Army Guard, but I have medical conditions that they don't want to send me to MEPS with, so I tossed around doing MD Def Force as well. I think the Active AF limits age to 37 (I believe).
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Rick-DEL

Quote from: J2H on February 20, 2013, 03:52:24 PM
I was making 42,300 when I got out of the Air Force in Sep 2012. 

Nice. I remember in boot camp getting my first paycheck. A whole whopping $620.00 per month...before taxes ! Glad to see the boys/girls getting paid for their service these days.

J2H

The only jobs I can find now that pay close to that here are Law Enforcement (avg salary 45k), medical, or computers

Duke Dillio

Go find a power plant....  Most of the places I've been to start you at around $20 an hour.  With overtime, you will probably clear at least $65K. 

J2H

Tried getting into factory stuff, but no one is hiring, and a few didn't want me because I could have PTSD

Stonewall

Quote from: Rick-DEL on February 20, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

Nice. I remember in boot camp getting my first paycheck. A whole whopping $620.00 per month...before taxes ! Glad to see the boys/girls getting paid for their service these days.

Yeah, it's a bit different from when I first started too.  I did this comparison a while ago...

Pay comparison between military, government, and private sector security:

An Airman/E-2 USAF Security Forces member with less than 2 years in service makes approximately $36,000 per year.  This includes their non-taxed pay such as Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS).  Note:  BAH varies by locale, but I took what appeared to be an average and factored it in.

- Military:  30 days of paid leave per year; free medical and dental, 20 year retirement.

GS-6 DoD Police Officer makes roughly $35,000 per year.  Note:  Similar to private sector, government employees have to pay for health insurance, but the government contributes a larger portion than private sector employers do, so the average single government employee pays $1,550 per year ($130 per month).

- US Government:  Based on a government employee with fewer than 3 years service, vacation (leave) is accrued at 4 hours per pay period (104 hours per year). 

The average private security officer, armed or unarmed, makes roughly $28,000 per year, according to the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS).   

-   Private Sector:  One or two weeks (up to 80 hours) of vacation per year and have to pay for healthcare. Note:  Average cost of health insurance for a single person is $3,000 per year in the US ($250 per month).

There are other comparisons, but I wanted to keep it simple and simply mention pay, medical, and vacation time.
Serving since 1987.

J2H

My health ins is like 100 a month... but I am through a non-profit Masonic Community... trying to land a state job

MSG Mac

Quote from: Rick-DEL on February 20, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

Beats $95.40 a month in 1968. I got promoted to E-2 and had an annual pay raise in July of 68 and still didn't reach $100/month
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Rick-DEL

QuoteBeats $95.40 a month in 1968. I got promoted to E-2 and had an annual pay raise in July of 68 and still didn't reach $100/month

And to think, that was the going rate (plus HD pay) for those newbies deployed to Nam. My $620 per month faired much better. But, thanks to the E'Club Card at WAFB, it dissapeared quite rapidly too. Dang E'Club !!!!   :-[

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Stonewall on February 20, 2013, 04:30:38 PM
An Airman/E-2 USAF Security Forces member with less than 2 years in service makes approximately $36,000 per year.  This includes their non-taxed pay such as Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS).
I must be getting shafted royally then, even with full BAS because the DFAC was closed, but not getting the full $795/mo for BAH (for D-M) since I'm in the dorms, I made slightly less than $20,788 last year before taxes.  This is as an E-3 with less than 2 years service, granted I'm not a 3P0, I'm a 3D0.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

SarDragon

Tm, that $36,000 may be an RMC computation, where they figure in health care, and the tax advantage on allowances.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

I was making 42,300 when I got out of the Air Force in Sep 2012.  I was Rolled back due to PT failure (and loss of clearance)... I was trying to get on with the Army Guard, but I have medical conditions that they don't want to send me to MEPS with, so I tossed around doing MD Def Force as well. I think the Active AF limits age to 37 (I believe).

Was that because of HYT? Have you thought about AGR?

When it comes to civil service jobs. Take what ever is available. Get your foot in the door and it is no big deal to promote from department to department. Good luck

ColonelJack

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 20, 2013, 05:17:21 PM
Beats $95.40 a month in 1968. I got promoted to E-2 and had an annual pay raise in July of 68 and still didn't reach $100/month

One thing to remember, though ... in 1968, $95.40 went a lot farther than it does today.  A lot farther.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

MSG Mac

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 21, 2013, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on February 20, 2013, 05:17:21 PM

One thing to remember, though ... in 1968, $95.40 went a lot farther than it does today.  A lot farther.

Jack

Yes it did, but after taxes etc. it was only $42 per payday, or less than $3 per day. There was no BAS/BAQ because the military provided meals and barracks
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Stonewall

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 21, 2013, 03:47:58 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on February 20, 2013, 04:30:38 PM
An Airman/E-2 USAF Security Forces member with less than 2 years in service makes approximately $36,000 per year.  This includes their non-taxed pay such as Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS).
I must be getting shafted royally then, even with full BAS because the DFAC was closed, but not getting the full $795/mo for BAH (for D-M) since I'm in the dorms, I made slightly less than $20,788 last year before taxes.  This is as an E-3 with less than 2 years service, granted I'm not a 3P0, I'm a 3D0.

Well, duh.  You're in the dorms, i.e. free living quarters.  So there you go making $20,788 PLUS a free place to live.  If you were living off base and getting BAH, you'd be making $30,328.  A LOT of money for a young person with a high school diploma.  Not to mention, free dental/medical and 30 days paid leave a year.

Remember, in my pay analysis, I used averages, so yeah, it'll be a little different between locations.
Serving since 1987.

J2H

The Air Force (Guard/Reserves) won't take me.  I was rolled back due to failed PT and they factored in my loss of security clearance.  The Army was my only option since most MOS' don't require a clearance...