Main Menu

Guess I'm too old...

Started by Rick-DEL, January 28, 2013, 07:12:48 PM

Rick-DEL

So, I started tossing the idea around about re-entering the service in a Guard/Reserve capacity. But I do know at my tender age of 45 (46 in March) that I exceed the limits for maximum allowable age. I believe the real only potential shot I had would have been through a program offered by the Coast Guard for a Direct Commission into the USCG Reserves. After spending about 10-15 minutes on the phone talking with a PO at the other end - reality has set in and I must face the fear of getting old.

It's too bad, because I can certainly achieve things I put my mind to, so I know the 2 week indoctrination in CT would be fathomable both mentally and physically, as I am in decent shape (carryover from my AD days).

With this post, I shall post two questions.

• Should the reserve arms of our military branches offer special (and limited) waivers for those that meet pretty strict guidelines if only a year or so over the waiver allotment? USCG is 40, and even with my AD/ANG time minused from my age, I fall short.
  • Does anybody know of ANY other offerings from the other branches that I may not have come across? My hurdle is that I would be challenged to attend a 12 week OCS (due to full time job). USCGR was a whole whopping 2 weeks.

If none exist, I'll purchase my cane this weekend and proceed with life  ;)

Stonewall

Your signature line says "USAF Veteran".  How much TIS did you have?

In my Air Guard squadron, we ahd a guy come back in at age 48 (deployed at age 50) as a SSgt.  He spent some time on Active Duty and because he'd still be elligble for retirement by age 60, he was allowed back in.  And even though he attended tech school back in the 80s, because of the long break he had to attend it again.  We joke that he should wear two (of the same) function badges.

Serving since 1987.

Rick-DEL

Funny. He should go for a 3rd Occupational Badge (all in the same field of course).

I was Active from AUG 85 to NOV 89, then did a stint in the ANG From 93-96. AD time counts towards the deduction of age, year for year. ANG time is day for day. So, that comes to about 100 days worth of ANG time and about 1,600 AD. I would be hardluck to get my 20 in before I hit 60, and I cannot jump to AD to make up a year or two. Way too much of a pay cut and tough on the family with 3 kids.

Pretty sure it is less than 1% possible...just a thought I had over the last few months (of course cut into my virtual age).

Pylon

Did you talk with a Prior Service Recruiter for the Guard and/or Air Guard yet?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Rick-DEL

Not yet, that is my next course of action, I just did all the research I could utilizing each branches website and Q&A. I also talked to a Guard buddy of mine who has 23 years in (AD and ANG) and he states it would be tight but potentially possible (a slight one at that) as they had a guy who came in at 47 but he had twice the amount of AD I had and had another turned away at 48. Plus, I would have to fall into a slot, which is pretty tough now with the cuts at the state level.

PHall

The big thing is "can you complete 20 years of service by age 60"?
So if you're 45, but have 5 "good" years of sevice, you're good to go.
If you're 45 with less then 5 "good" years then you're SOL without an waiver.
And those waivers are pretty hard to come by unless you're in an MOS/AFSC they
they really need. And then it's a maybe. 

Rick-DEL

Yep, that is the way I see it too. I got 4 good years of Active Duty and with 3 years of ANG (which is really like 100 days or so) I fall short. Even with being a SEAL for 4 years, it won't cut it. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't a SEAL, I just wanted to see if I could get you to dribble some of your afternoon coffee. I served on AD as a Crew Chief and then when I went into the ANG, I cross-trained into Security Forces, which has no shortage from what I hear.

Stonewall

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 28, 2013, 07:47:07 PM
Yep, that is the way I see it too. I got 4 good years of Active Duty and with 3 years of ANG (which is really like 100 days or so) I fall short. Even with being a SEAL for 4 years, it won't cut it. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't a SEAL, I just wanted to see if I could get you to dribble some of your afternoon coffee. I served on AD as a Crew Chief and then when I went into the ANG, I cross-trained into Security Forces, which has no shortage from what I hear.

So ANG time is accountable by days, not years?  Even going back to the Guard?
Serving since 1987.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I just turned 47, so I'm even more of an old geezer.

Are you in a geographic area where you're near a state line?

If so, you might check with ANG/ARNG units in another state.  Sometimes different states can offer different options.

Have you considered going full-time Guard/Reserve; i.e. AGR/ART?  I know those positions can be hard to come by, though.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Rick-DEL

Yep, that is what the recruiting PO at USCG Baltimore told me earlier today. Guard/Reserve is day-for-day. Now, here is the weird thing...it counts year-for-year at the back end. So, say you have 4 years AD and 4 years Reserve, that would equal 8 years on the backside towards retirement, meaning technically you would only need 12 more.

But, it doesn't count like that on the front end. So, I cannot say 7 years minus my age of 45 making me virtually 38.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: CyBorg on January 28, 2013, 08:11:28 PM
I just turned 47, so I'm even more of an old geezer.

Are you in a geographic area where you're near a state line?

If so, you might check with ANG/ARNG units in another state.  Sometimes different states can offer different options.

Have you considered going full-time Guard/Reserve; i.e. AGR/ART?  I know those positions can be hard to come by, though.

I can easily cross into MD, NJ, or even PA if I would have too. But I have some friends in the DE side I would rather be with. AGR slots are very scarce. My buddy who is a C-130 FE has one, but it is rare they have them. And, I would take too much of a financial hit cutting from my cushy civie job to go full time. I would be strictly looking for the weekend warrior staus.

I understand I am limiting myself (if any holes where to open) by only wanting the reserve mode and so forth, but financially and family-wise, I do have limits. Family comes first.

PHall

You're computing your ANG time wrong.
A "good" year for a typical ANG troop consists of 12 drill weekends and a 15 day Annual Tour (aka Summer Camp).
That's 39 days at a minimum, but it counts as a "year".

The "good" year is what counts.

Rick-DEL

Just got off a "chat session" with the ANG online. There may be a shimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, we'll see. I'll be reaching out locally for more specifics. It'll come down to "good years" in the ANG I had. At that time, I had to leave the ANG because my civilian job had me traveling 80-85% of the time world-wide, working on an AAFES IT contract. So, I am not sure of the time I can factor from the ANG utilizing a "good year" rule. I jumped on man-days here and there trying to catch up, but travel made it nearly impossible back then.

Thanks for the clarification PHall

Stonewall

If Phil didn't clarify, I was about to.  I just called my unit's recruiter and she concurs with that.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

It will also depend on your re-enlistment code.   A prior-service recruiter can get that information if you don't know it.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Pylon on January 28, 2013, 10:03:48 PM
It will also depend on your re-enlistment code.   A prior-service recruiter can get that information if you don't know it.

It should be on his DD214/NGB22.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Im 26 and cant go back in :( I would be taking a paycut. I thaught CAP was weekend warrior? I wish i can go back in, but i do not think they want to see a grown man cry while taking the PT test.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 28, 2013, 11:22:53 PM
Im 26 and cant go back in :( I would be taking a paycut.

Pay cut?  How much do you make?  Did you get a job as a GS 9?

E4 over 4 years...

Base pay:  $2,305 (E4 with 4+ years)
BAH: $927 (E4 without dependents in North Carolina)
BAS: $352

$43,000 is pretty [darn] good for a young single troop without a college degree. 

The California Post secondary Education Commission provides salary information for each state in the United States. High school graduates earned the most in Connecticut, where the average annual salary was $31,776.  They earned the least in Idaho, making an average of $22,850 per year.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 01:23:28 AM

E4 over 4 years...

$43,000 is pretty [darn] good for a young single troop without a college degree. 

The California Post secondary Education Commission provides salary information for each state in the United States. High school graduates earned the most in Connecticut, where the average annual salary was $31,776.  They earned the least in Idaho, making an average of $22,850 per year.

I'm thinking that he's thinking that if he goes back into the military he will lose his disability benefit payments.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Devil Doc

Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2013, 01:58:01 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on January 29, 2013, 01:23:28 AM

E4 over 4 years...

I'm thinking that he's thinking that if he goes back into the military he will lose his disability benefit payments.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I will loose my VA Disability if i went back in yes ;)

Btw, Stonewall I do have a College Education :)

Im a GS-5 Step 2, will be GS 6 in Couple of Months

My Rating will be going up Soon Also, just waiting on the VA, Which takes way too long.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.