Do seniors use grade when speaking to other seniors?

Started by RiverAux, October 11, 2011, 01:01:29 AM

In your experience, how common is it for other senior members to use grade when addressing other senior members?  This refers to all your CAP experience, not just what you do.

Seniors usually (76-100% of the time) use grade when speaking to or about other seniors.
17 (13.6%)
Seniors sometimes (25-75% of the time) use grade when speaking to or about other seniors.
56 (44.8%)
Seniors rarely (0-25% of the time) use grade when speaking to or about other seniors.
52 (41.6%)

Total Members Voted: 125

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on October 28, 2011, 08:38:05 PM
Well said, Pat. Or was I supposed to say Major Harris? Should we take this all the way to date of rank?   ;)

I prefer "My Lord".....but since this is just CAP..... ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on October 28, 2011, 08:38:05 PM
Well said, Pat. Or was I supposed to say Major Harris? Should we take this all the way to date of rank?   ;)

"Sir" usually does the trick.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

In the RM, Senior Field Graders tend to use first names between themselves.  Most company graders tend to use first names - 2nd Lt being the exception...  Of course you don't do it in front of a group of airmen...

I get to use first names with all but two or three people in the wing - and even then ...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^My experience is that the Guard and Reserve tend to be a lot more flexible on this than the active duty.

Not really surprising, since Guard and Reserve troops tend to serve together longer and get to know one another a bit better than many AD troops.

Our former squadron CC sometimes looked surprised when I'd encounter him outdoors, salute him and say "good evening, Sir."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: JeffDG on October 11, 2011, 01:17:03 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2011, 01:15:18 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 11, 2011, 01:12:24 AM
Is this predicated on the absence of cadets?

Why should that matter?
In my observation, seniors use grade more frequently in the presence of cadets than when you're in a pure-senior environment.

This has been my experience also. Rank/last name near cadets, first names otherwise.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on October 14, 2011, 09:04:07 PM

i.e. "You must be on Group staff to be a Major", "...take the UCC for the commander appointment...", etc., but a higher echelon is
always free to use the subjective "you're not ready".

I had to comment regarding Group Staff. I remember hearing to get a Senior rating in anything you had to be Group Staff, Master ratings for Wing Staff or higher.

Back on topic; every Squadron, Group is different. Some Units really put the "military" in paramilitary. Some Units is more closely related to the boy scouts than the USAF.

Salty

From my experience in the USAF and CAP you almost never heard someone referred to by rank unless it was a junior grade talking to a senior grade.  Unless somebody was watching, senior grades almost never referred to a junior grade by rank.  It was always by first name.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 10, 2011, 08:06:19 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 14, 2011, 09:04:07 PM

i.e. "You must be on Group staff to be a Major", "...take the UCC for the commander appointment...", etc., but a higher echelon is
always free to use the subjective "you're not ready".

I had to comment regarding Group Staff. I remember hearing to get a Senior rating in anything you had to be Group Staff, Master ratings for Wing Staff or higher.

I'm not sure how you meant that - meaning you heard the same wives tale or that is what you're hearing from your wing currently.  While there are some ratings that call out very specific staff postings, generally this is not the case, and ultimately it is the approving commander who decides when and if you have fulfilled the respective requirements.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadet Idoni