Main Menu

Hunting

Started by ♠SARKID♠, November 17, 2007, 12:04:37 AM

♠SARKID♠

Just a reminder for all of the hunters out there to be safe in the woods this deer season.  Remember the safety rules, and you cant go wrong!

1. Keep you muzzle pointed in a safe direction
2. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded
3. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot

Good luck, be safe, and happy hunting!

Dan Turkal
Hunter's Safety Instructor
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

IceNine

Don't teach your dog to shoot, he may just shoot you in the bum

Don't hunt with politicians, you may become the prey

Do send me some deer sausage!! ;D
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

Be sure to wear your safety harness while up in the deer stand.

thp

Don't stick your barrel in the mud.  ::)

Duke Dillio

Couldn't resist this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfVZjbyzFGQ

Dropping the slide will bite you in the butt every time.

JCW0312

^I love that video. It reminds me to stay humble - especially when I strap on the badge and gun. Although, I thought anyone with a little common sense, especially one of us "trained professionals", would know better than to be displaying a weapon in a classroom. Leave it in the holster big guy. We all know you're cool and everything (especially with that hair-do)...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Duke Dillio

"I am the only one professional enough in this room to...."

ack, shot myself in the foot....  What do I do now?....  OK, stay cool, stay cool....

OK let's bring out another gun.....  Yeah, that's it.....

♠SARKID♠

*sigh*

It was a bad idea to even bring it out of the holster.  Way to go Barney Fief.

JCW0312

You know what makes this even worse? The moron (who is a DEA agent - or was - not sure) is suing the US Govt stating that they never should have released the video. He complains that his career has been crippled and he is now a laughingstock. Why can't people just take accountability for their actions?

http://ph33r.org/updates/2006/5/15/dea-agent-shoots-self-sues.html
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Duke Dillio

I'm thinkin he is seeing major dollar signs.  If you were a DEA agent, making government salary, and you thought you had a chance to make millions of dollars, wouldn't you do it?  Granted it was totally his fault for dropping the slide on a full magazine....

I'm sure that the government will come up with some type of settlement to make it go away.  He does look like he has probably bought a lot of drugs in his time though.....

SJFedor

Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2007, 01:56:57 AM
Be sure to wear your safety harness while up in the deer stand.

Absolutely. First day of hunting down here, we had no less then 3 people in the Trauma center who fell out of deer stands.

And as for that DEA agent, he should have known better. He's lucky he just shot himself. What if it had discharged and caught a kid in the head? It'd go from cool and funny to horrific and tragic pretty rapidly.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SJFedor

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 10, 2007, 07:51:07 PM
*sigh*

It was a bad idea to even bring it out of the holster.  Way to go Barney Fief.

I never saw the longer video on ph33r.org. After the shot, everyone's dismissed him and anything he's saying about gun safety.

What's really funny, is that he has his partner bring out, what looks like, an M4, and I swear I hear someone say "look out!"

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Duke Dillio

Does a 2X4 nailed to a tree qualify as a deer stand?  I know how you guys from TN are...

In all seriousness, make sure all of your people on the ground are wearing their bright orange safety vests to preclude itchy trigger fingers.  I've been on REDCAPs and SAREX's where we are walking through the woods minding our business, only to hear gunfire in fairly close proximity.

Actually, bad story here.  We recently had our annual ground team qualification exercise here.  I was observing a team and we had just been dropped.  We were to DF a beacon and then proceed to the base.  It was going to be about a 3 mile walk with full gear.  As we are walking along this road, this dog comes from out of nowhere, snarling and all.  I had 4 cadets with me.  We tried to turn back but it cut us off.  Whenever we moved, it would snarl and come closer.  My knife was put away in my pack which procluded easy access to it.  I told the cadets to leave the road and walk the way we needed to go while I kept the dog "busy."  I took a step toward the dog and it backed off a little but kept barking and snarling with its' talk down.  The cadets moved slowly up the road while I worked the "mutt."  When they were far enough away, I realized....uh, how am I gonna get out of this one.  Visions of being mauled by a dog during a SAREX began floating through my head...  I did the one step forward, two steps back until I got out of the dog's "protective radius" (there were backyards along the one side of the road.)  I finally got a point where the dog wouldn't go any further and was able to rejoin the cadets.  Had to change my undies a little while later but.....

The moral of the story is beware of the not so wild and wild life.

SJFedor

Quote from: sargrunt on December 10, 2007, 11:43:06 PM
Does a 2X4 nailed to a tree qualify as a deer stand?  I know how you guys from TN are...

We had one last year that simply climbed up a tree and sat on a branch. Got knocked off when he discharged his 12ga at a target. Broke 6 ribs, T6-T8 TP fractures, and a C5 fracture with 20% canal comprimise. Say hello to the halo!

I want to get a sign to hang over our trauma area that says "Stupid hurts"....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Duke Dillio

Perhaps something like this:

SJFedor

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

PaulR

Never teach your spouse(or significant other) how to shoot...   Especially if they have a bad temper.

PORed

I agree, I have a spouse that the military already taught how to shoot.

Al Sayre

Quote from: Sqn72DO on December 10, 2007, 11:43:06 PM

In all seriousness, make sure all of your people on the ground are wearing their bright orange safety vests to preclude itchy trigger fingers.  I've been on REDCAPs and SAREX's where we are walking through the woods minding our business, only to hear gunfire in fairly close proximity.

Actually, bad story here.  We recently had our annual ground team qualification exercise here.  I was observing a team and we had just been dropped.  We were to DF a beacon and then proceed to the base.  It was going to be about a 3 mile walk with full gear.  As we are walking along this road, this dog comes from out of nowhere, snarling and all.  I had 4 cadets with me.  We tried to turn back but it cut us off.  Whenever we moved, it would snarl and come closer.  My knife was put away in my pack which procluded easy access to it.  I told the cadets to leave the road and walk the way we needed to go while I kept the dog "busy."  I took a step toward the dog and it backed off a little but kept barking and snarling with its' talk down.  The cadets moved slowly up the road while I worked the "mutt."  When they were far enough away, I realized....uh, how am I gonna get out of this one.  Visions of being mauled by a dog during a SAREX began floating through my head...  I did the one step forward, two steps back until I got out of the dog's "protective radius" (there were backyards along the one side of the road.)  I finally got a point where the dog wouldn't go any further and was able to rejoin the cadets.  Had to change my undies a little while later but.....

The moral of the story is beware of the not so wild and wild life.

Diplomacy:  The art of saying "nice doggie"while you look for a bigger stick....
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787