Meetings

Started by Juice, February 06, 2016, 04:12:56 PM

Juice

I will be working with our new Cadet Commander assisting with creating meeting agendas. A lot of feedback we have been receiving from cadets is they want more interesting meetings. I have spent time on the CAP websites researching this issue and found some great resources, however I was looking to see if anyone else had feedback (cadet or senior member) on how they keep meetings interesting and engaging. I am hoping more robust meetings will help with retention issues as well.  So let the ideas fly!

THRAWN

Do some things that add actual value. Have guest speakers. Tours of aviation and ES related places. Hold inservice training on communications. Lots to do...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Pylon

Quote from: Juice on February 06, 2016, 04:12:56 PM
I will be working with our new Cadet Commander assisting with creating meeting agendas. A lot of feedback we have been receiving from cadets is they want more interesting meetings. I have spent time on the CAP websites researching this issue and found some great resources, however I was looking to see if anyone else had feedback (cadet or senior member) on how they keep meetings interesting and engaging. I am hoping more robust meetings will help with retention issues as well.  So let the ideas fly!

Step one: Ask the cadets (perhaps via a formal survey one night) what they want. What do they find interesting, at your squadron.  What cadets at one squadron find fun and engaging is not necessarily the same at a different squadron.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Michael Sidman

Lots of good ideas below, I'll add this from an earlier post: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20686.msg379288#msg379288 - the Global Leadership Program is innovation for the Cadet Program.

Let me know if I can offer any more information - I can be reached at michaelsidmancap@gmail.com.

Juice

Quote from: Michael Sidman on February 06, 2016, 09:51:30 PM
Lots of good ideas below, I'll add this from an earlier post: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20686.msg379288#msg379288 - the Global Leadership Program is innovation for the Cadet Program.

Let me know if I can offer any more information - I can be reached at michaelsidmancap@gmail.com.
This looks awesome.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Michael Sidman

Thanks Juice - Here's a link to some video clips of Cadets who participated in the Global Leadership Program - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B66wRKZNTSqyfm51TjFJQnJUZHcwajB0OG9pZWVqcHBodzl1cHhDZHc1YXhNc3JvWkpzZGs. 

As a refresher, a summary of the Global Leadership Program is at http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20686.msg379288#msg379288.

I'm always open to adding to the collection, so if your Unit's senior officer leadership is interested in using this activity, feel free to contact me at michaelsidmancap@gmail.com.

TheSkyHornet

What I find gets to be really difficult for the audience during a "lecture" is that the speaker really isn't engaged himself in the topic. I think this usually stems from people who don't like to get up in front of people and talk. I'm someone who never liked to speak out in front of groups, but I can get up in front of a group of people and just wing it without making up material. I like to know what I'm talking about, but not read from notes. It's essential to engage the audience, and not just talk to them. Get them involved in the conversation. And if nobody seems interested, start calling on people. Ask for their opinions.

I strongly encourage an After Action Review of the class through self-analysis and asking your staff for feedback. Talk about how to improve things for the future.

One note to make is do not have activities or teach material that is pointless. If the idea is to build up teamwork, then make sure it's a team building activity where people use one another as resources. Don't get up and talk about the physics behind a helium balloon versus oxygen-filled if it has no bearing on anything they'll ever do or care about. I like to end each lesson with a practical exercise based on what people learned, by either having a pop-quiz review or, preferably, a hands-on activity after. I also like to send out lecture notes so people can review the material on their own later if they so choose.

Keep in mind when you prepare activities and classes---The cadet program is a leadership training program, not hobby hour, so you want to do something that builds up the character of the cadets rather.

Juice

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 08, 2016, 08:14:07 PM
What I find gets to be really difficult for the audience during a "lecture" is that the speaker really isn't engaged himself in the topic. I think this usually stems from people who don't like to get up in front of people and talk. I'm someone who never liked to speak out in front of groups, but I can get up in front of a group of people and just wing it without making up material. I like to know what I'm talking about, but not read from notes. It's essential to engage the audience, and not just talk to them. Get them involved in the conversation. And if nobody seems interested, start calling on people. Ask for their opinions.

I strongly encourage an After Action Review of the class through self-analysis and asking your staff for feedback. Talk about how to improve things for the future.

One note to make is do not have activities or teach material that is pointless. If the idea is to build up teamwork, then make sure it's a team building activity where people use one another as resources. Don't get up and talk about the physics behind a helium balloon versus oxygen-filled if it has no bearing on anything they'll ever do or care about. I like to end each lesson with a practical exercise based on what people learned, by either having a pop-quiz review or, preferably, a hands-on activity after. I also like to send out lecture notes so people can review the material on their own later if they so choose.

Keep in mind when you prepare activities and classes---The cadet program is a leadership training program, not hobby hour, so you want to do something that builds up the character of the cadets rather.
Thanks for the feedback.  Your are correct that a boring lecture adds to a boring meeting.  Some of our speakers are more engaging than others. Our cadet program has been nothing but large group lecture for every weekly meeting for years. We do lots of outside events, but the meeting nights themselves are very dull.  We have cadets staying in the program for the extra curriculars, but not interested in the weekly meetings.  We are looking for better ways to engage the cadets, opportunities for them to lead, teach, and mentor one another.  Hands on activities that can be done in about an hour or other ideas.  Looking to find a healthy balance of fun, teaching, and activity.

C/ID-073

Try team building exercises, hands on activities, and guest speakers. Also, you could let the cadets do short 10-15 minute classes, it teaches cadets how to teach a class, and they are informative. Make PT fun! Don't do the same things over and over and don't make them sit in their chairs for 2 hours listening to boring classes.
-Lt. Kubik
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: C/ID-073 on February 19, 2016, 09:20:22 PM
Try team building exercises, hands on activities, and guest speakers. Also, you could let the cadets do short 10-15 minute classes, it teaches cadets how to teach a class, and they are informative. Make PT fun! Don't do the same things over and over and don't make them sit in their chairs for 2 hours listening to boring classes.
-Lt. Kubik

Also, to add to Ms. Kubik's point, keep it age appropriate. I see way too many moms and dads in CAP dumbing down activities for the cadets. They want to be challenged. Don't do activities that I would expect of a fourth grader.

C/ID-073

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 29, 2016, 10:13:56 PM
-Lt. Kubik

Also, to add to Ms. Kubik's point, keep it age appropriate. I see way too many moms and dads in CAP dumbing down activities for the cadets. They want to be challenged. Don't do activities that I would expect of a fourth grader.

Agreed. Some ideas are good, but you have think about a group of teenagers doing them. They don't want to play I Spy...
Respectfully,
C/Capt. Kubik
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: C/ID-073 on March 03, 2016, 04:16:26 AM
-Lt. Kubik

Agreed. Some ideas are good, but you have think about a group of teenagers doing them. They don't want to play I Spy...
Respectfully,
C/Capt. Kubik

I often see way too many senior members suggesting what they think is fun for cadets. Why not walk over to the cadets and ask them, rather than making assumptions?

kwe1009

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 07, 2016, 03:39:52 PM

I often see way too many senior members suggesting what they think is fun for cadets. Why not walk over to the cadets and ask them, rather than making assumptions?

Stop making sense!  >:D

THRAWN

Quote from: C/ID-073 on March 03, 2016, 04:16:26 AM
-Lt. Kubik

Respectfully,
C/Capt. Kubik

They're not assumptions. They're based in experience and knowing what will work and what will not...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 07, 2016, 03:50:16 PM

Stop making sense!  >:D

The same actually applies to cadet leadership. Their expectations are different from Phase I & II cadets. I always try to encourage the cadet leaders to ask their followers what THEY want to do.

Holding Pattern

When asking the cadets for "interesting" things to do, make them do a little thinking ahead of time. Ask them for interesting things to do in meetings AND ask them how that idea will advance them in accordance with our mission statement:

QuoteSupporting America's communities with emergency response, diverse aviation and ground services, youth development, and promotion of air, space and cyber power.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 07, 2016, 05:38:31 PM
When asking the cadets for "interesting" things to do, make them do a little thinking ahead of time. Ask them for interesting things to do in meetings AND ask them how that idea will advance them in accordance with our mission statement:

QuoteSupporting America's communities with emergency response, diverse aviation and ground services, youth development, and promotion of air, space and cyber power.

Don't forget, that one of the 5 aspects of the cadet program is also FUN. Sometimes the special fun event, with little impact on mission/progression is what cadets remember the most.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 06:47:00 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 07, 2016, 05:38:31 PM

Don't forget, that one of the 5 aspects of the cadet program is also FUN. Sometimes the special fun event, with little impact on mission/progression is what cadets remember the most.

"Youth Development"

EDIT: I'll make a topic covering a perfect example of what I'm thinking.

Майор Хаткевич

Youth development is broad, and intentionally so. It covers the CP as a whole. Not disagreeing, just saying that a lot of SMs get caught up in "mission first" when the mission of the CP is beyond ES/community Service.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 07:21:47 PM
Youth development is broad, and intentionally so. It covers the CP as a whole. Not disagreeing, just saying that a lot of SMs get caught up in "mission first" when the mission of the CP is beyond ES/community Service.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20806.0

:)