Follow-up to my Promotion Dilemma

Started by USAFAHopeful, August 05, 2014, 04:15:25 AM

USAFAHopeful

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFAHopeful on August 19, 2014, 04:15:33 AM
Comments are welcome.

Congratulations to the TX-007 cadet on the Mitchell!

"That Others May Zoom"

Trung Si Ma

Ask them to explain CAPR 123-2 to you.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Storm Chaser

Quote from: USAFAHopeful on August 19, 2014, 03:42:49 AM
Urgh. Completed another Character Development Forum. Tonight was a Billy Mitchell Award presentation and a change of command, so it was the perfect opportunity for me to get promoted. Yet no promotion.  >:(

Maybe or maybe not. Did you talk to your commander tonight to ask if it would be possible for you to be promoted? Maybe he forgot (commanders have a lot on their plate). Or maybe he didn't feel it was appropriate to promote you during the Mitchell Award presentation and Change of Command. Or maybe there's a completely different reason. Whatever that may be, you commander is the one who can address your concern. One thing you need to understand is that promotions are not automatic. You need to address this with your commander and stop trying to get answers on a public forum, as there's nothing we can do to help you with this.

USAFAHopeful

Why do I need an explanation on CAP complaints?

USAFAHopeful

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 19, 2014, 04:31:06 AM
Urgh. Completed another Character Development Forum. Tonight was a Billy Mitchell Award presentation and a change of command, so it was the perfect opportunity for me to get promoted. Yet no promotion.  >:(

Maybe or maybe not. Did you talk to your commander tonight to ask if it would be possible for you to be promoted? Maybe he forgot (commanders have a lot on their plate). Or maybe he didn't feel it was appropriate to promote you during the Mitchell Award presentation and Change of Command. Or maybe there's a completely different reason. Whatever that may be, you commander is the one who can address your concern. One thing you need to understand is that promotions are not automatic. You need to address this with your commander and stop trying to get answers on a public forum, as there's nothing we can do to help you with this.

I talked talked to him awhile ago. He said we will get my promotion underway as soon as possible.

PA Guy

So, it seems the real problem is that your sqdn CC doesn't move fast enough to suit you? Get over it.

USAFAHopeful

mwewing

As a general rule, I don't promote other cadets during a Mitchell ceremony, and if there is a change of command the same night - along with the celebratory/social functions of both, and the Character Development class, I doubt there was an abundance of free time. Remember, your promotion can be back dated at the discretion of the commander.

I would also add that your attitude in a few posts here is questionable. If that same tone of entitlement, presents in your interactions with the cadet officers and/or senior members, I don't have any trouble understanding a desire to retain you in grade.

As others have stated, address the matter with your chain of command. You might also phrase it as a question instead of complaining or reminding someone of what you think you deserve. For example:

"Sir/Ma'am, I have completed all the testing requirements for promotion to the grade of ____, and I am eager to continue my progression through the cadet program. What else can I do to prepare myself for promotion?"

This advocates for what you want in a humble way, and recognizes the discretionary aspect of promotions, leaving the conversation open to constructive criticism. It also serves to remind your leadership of this matter in a way that is respectful.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

USAFAHopeful

I don't really talk at all at my meetings, so no one sees this "attitude" you are talking about, with all due respect. We actually did have an abundance of time, 30 minutes to be exact.

USAFAHopeful

Correction: I talk to my friends, I just don't talk to other people in general.

spaatzmom

Quote from: USAFAHopeful on August 19, 2014, 04:04:56 PM
I don't really talk at all at my meetings, so no one sees this "attitude" you are talking about, with all due respect. We actually did have an abundance of time, 30 minutes to be exact.

Cadet,

If several people are seeing and pointing out the same issue that you are not seeing and you are the lowest common denominator then you have the problem, whether you want to admit it or not.  You say no one sees the attitude, but it is clear in your posts and now it seems may be projected in your body language( not talking to others, aloofness, etc)  This in itself is a lack of maturity that many commanders see as not ready to promote.  You have been given the correct advice by many here, it is up to you to use it appropriately and advance or not and stagnate for a while until you get it.  Good luck.

USAFAHopeful

I talk to others, just not as much as a regular person would.

Thanks for the advice.

Eclipse

There's no point in getting wrapped around the axle about aloofness, attitude, etc.

The only person who can address this is your commander - ask him, respectfully, when you
will next be promoted.  Promotions should not be a surprise, especially for cadets, if you've completed the
requirements, it should be entered, plain and simple.  Any unit traditions about pinning should be
separate from the actual entry dates of the next grade.

If you feel you are not being heard, involve your parents.

Of course this is important to you, everyone gets that, but people get busy, prioritize things differently, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

USAFAHopeful

I can always count on you for good advice, Eclipse. Thanks.

Storm Chaser

Even when all testing and participation requirements are met, promotions are not automatic. According to CAPR 52-16, "[c]ommanders may sustain a promotion-eligible cadet in grade if the cadet's performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurable with the promotion." Furthermore, a promotion board will be required starting 1 Sep 2014 "to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept increased responsibilities that come with their promotions."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 19, 2014, 05:42:52 PM
Even when all testing and participation requirements are met, promotions are not automatic. According to CAPR 52-16, "[c]ommanders may sustain a promotion-eligible cadet in grade if the cadet's performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurable with the promotion." Furthermore, a promotion board will be required starting 1 Sep 2014 "to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept increased responsibilities that come with their promotions."

Yes but if that happens the cadet must be informed and it must be documented.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 19, 2014, 06:02:22 PM

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 19, 2014, 05:42:52 PM

Yes but if that happens the cadet must be informed and it must be documented.

You're absolutely correct. The commander must also have a follow-up review within 60 days.

USAFAHopeful

I did not have any promotion board, if that is was you are asking.

USAFAHopeful