Cadet Honor Society

Started by chrsitianlh99, May 06, 2014, 09:01:09 PM

chrsitianlh99

Okay so I am a C/A1C and I just finished my Achievement 3 Leadership and Aerospace tests. Since I have scores for all the tests, can I submit my FLWGF501 as an A1C or do I actually have to promote to SrA before I can apply???
Christian L. Hannah, C/A1C, CAP
SER-FL-169

LSThiker

I would suggest asking your chain of command about this.

SarDragon

Have you, by any chance, asked anyone in your chain of command?

What does the the supplement say?

What does the form say?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

In most cases, the promotion would have to show up in e-services before you are eligible to apply. It's an integrity thing. I could say that I am a Lt Col because I've taken all the tests and satisfied all the requirements but if it hasn't shown up in e-services, it ain't legal.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

The form and the supplement make no mention of the cadet's grade. They only discuss test scores.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LegoXman7

Hello all,
I was wondering almost the same thing. It says that Achievement 1 and mile some awards will stand by themselves, but it also says that the tests have to be In a row, so my question is this: can you get inducted for passing Achievements 1, 3, and 3(or we, 3, and 4), or do you have to pass achievements 2, 3, and 5?
Thanks for any help, it's very confusing to me.
C/MSgt JAY NULPH, Jr, CAP
Fl-116 Cadet First Sergeant

SarDragon

Quote from: From the supplement:a. Initial Induction. Cadets applying for initial induction into the Cadet Honor Society
shall:

1. Score a 90% or above per achievement or milestone, which will be the average of
both Aerospace and Leadership tests for Achievements 2 through 7. Note:
Achievement 1 and milestone tests will stand by themselves and only the leadership
tests will be used for achievements 8 through 16. Aerospace Education tests for
Achievements 8-16 are open book and will not be counted.
2. Maintain this average over a consecutive three-achievement/milestone span, with
no time frame.
3. The score will be calculated based on the first attempt of the test.

It tells me that you need to take a consecutive sequence of tests, with a 90% average on each achievement, to get initial entry, and then maintain that average to maintain membership.

Since Ach 1 and the milestones are single tests, there's no averaging involved.

After rereading your Q several times, I think I finally understand it. Proofreading on your part would have helped a lot.

Taking Ach 1, 2, and 3 will work. Ach 2, 3, and Wright Brothers will also work, and so on.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Is it three achievements/milestones?   Or just a cumulative average?

If you score 90% on Achievement 1 are you in?  Or do you have to wait for achievement 2?

Also....the supplement seems to predate the current testing system.   

Officer aerospace tests are not factored in...because they are open book.  But now all the test (except milestones) are open book.

Also of note.....if this program is supposed to promote academic achievement in FLWG.......why the heck is some FLWG cadet having to come here for answers?   You would think that they were telling them about if from day one!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

You have to receive an average of 90% in each of three consecutive Achievements or Milestone to apply for induction in the FLWG Cadet Honor Society. What that means is that the average of both academic tests (Leadership and Aerospace Education, when applicable) must be 90% or higher. For example, if you get an 85% in one test and a 95% in another, then the Achievement counts.

If you get less than 90% in any Achievement or Milestone, then you have to start again from the moment you receive the next average of 90%. Also, the Achievement or Milestone have to be completed, which means you have to show promoted in eServices. Finally, the 90% average must be attained in the first try of every test; if you fail the first time, then retake the test and get 100%, it doesn't count.

lordmonar

I don't see the three consecutive thing.   

Storm Chaser

lordmonar

Quotea. Initial Induction. Cadets applying for initial induction into the Cadet Honor Society
shall:
1. Score a 90% or above per achievement or milestone, which will be the average of
both Aerospace and Leadership tests for Achievements 2 through 7. Note:
Achievement 1 and milestone tests will stand by themselves and only the leadership
tests will be used for achievements 8 through 16. Aerospace Education tests for
Achievements 8-16 are open book and will not be counted.
2. Maintain this average over a consecutive three-achievement/milestone span, with
no time frame.
3. The score will be calculated based on the first attempt of the test.
4. The cadet will be a member in good standing.

This is the most poorly written supplement I have read in quite a while.

Okay....Item 1 has zero bearing.....it is item 2 that counts.

1. It should read maintain a 90% score or better on three consecutive achievement/milestone tests.

3 has nothing to do with eligibility and 4 is a given.  Most of 1 should be in a new paragraph about "scoring".

And what exactly is the difference between an honor society member and a member of distinction?   It's it just repeat award?   Is it "make the honor society and then keep it for at least 3 more achievement/milestones"?

The supplement does not seem clear.

Also.....since we have moved to online/open book testing......is this program still needed and/or meaningful?   

Storm Chaser

If you think it's that important, maybe you should address your concerns with Florida Wing.

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 12, 2014, 02:33:21 AM
If you think it's that important, maybe you should address your concerns with Florida Wing.
I think I will.  :)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: LegoXman7 on December 11, 2014, 04:52:37 AM
Hello all,
I was wondering almost the same thing. It says that Achievement 1 and mile some awards will stand by themselves, but it also says that the tests have to be In a row, so my question is this: can you get inducted for passing Achievements 1, 3, and 3(or we, 3, and 4), or do you have to pass achievements 2, 3, and 5?
Thanks for any help, it's very confusing to me.

You have to get a 90% average in 1, 2 and 3, or 2, 3 and WB, or 3, WB and 4, or WB, 4 and 5, etc. If you have questions about your eligibility, ask your squadron commander or deputy commander for cadets. They should be able to get you an answer.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on December 12, 2014, 02:36:33 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 12, 2014, 02:33:21 AM
I think I will.  :)

It's the only way we can help improve things. Cheers!

Flying Pig

Cadets do open book testing?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 12, 2014, 02:11:26 PM
Cadets do open book testing?

Take at home, online tests. Only Milestones are done at the unit. Been like that since the L2L curriculum started.

Flying Pig

Wow.....   disappointed.  So cadets don't even need to actually study anymore.  Just search the book for key phrases and move along.  Any idea why this was done verus the "old way" of actually reading and studying the material? 

jeders

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 12, 2014, 02:19:19 PM
Wow.....   disappointed.  So cadets don't even need to actually study anymore.  Just search the book for key phrases and move along.  Any idea why this was done verus the "old way" of actually reading and studying the material?

They absolutely still need to study. The new text as well as the test questions and the fact that the tests are timed makes it very difficult to pass if you haven't studied. I just had a new cadet take the 1st achievement test. She thought she had studied enough, but ended up failing with a 72.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse