Encampment

Started by inactive123, June 10, 2012, 09:23:23 PM

inactive123

"To much work" is not the promblem. For starters Im a Cadet Basic and been in for a month or so. There are two flights in my squadran, Alpha and Motto(the basics one). In order to move on to Alpha and to earn cadet airman  you must complete three phases. The first phase there is no time limit/ time in service needed. Requirements include ALL the drill (flanks and all) and basic knolage. Once you complete this you earn your red cover. Phase two  you must complete phase 1 for 3 weeks and has is panic buttons, marching speeds, General orders, ect.  You earn you boots and pants by comlpeteing this. Phase three is  Curry test. ect and wra0pping up after 4 weeks. I am still on phase 1, and my sargeant is always saying next week. I want to go to go to encampment, but now I can barely. What do I do?
C/MSgt

PHall

Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 10, 2012, 09:23:23 PM
"To much work" is not the promblem. For starters Im a Cadet Basic and been in for a month or so. There are two flights in my squadran, Alpha and Motto(the basics one). In order to move on to Alpha and to earn cadet airman  you must complete three phases. The first phase there is no time limit/ time in service needed. Requirements include ALL the drill (flanks and all) and basic knolage. Once you complete this you earn your red cover. Phase two  you must complete phase 1 for 3 weeks and has is panic buttons, marching speeds, General orders, ect.  You earn you boots and pants by comlpeteing this. Phase three is  Curry test. ect and wra0pping up after 4 weeks. I am still on phase 1, and my sargeant is always saying next week. I want to go to go to encampment, but now I can barely. What do I do?

You don't need to go to encampment. With only a month in the program you are nowhere near ready for encampment.
Waiting until next year will ensure you will have a much better time because you will know what you're doing and you won't be overwealmed by everything.

inactive123

Quote from: PHall on June 10, 2012, 09:27:56 PM

You don't need to go to encampment. With only a month in the program you are nowhere near ready for encampment.
Waiting until next year will ensure you will have a much better time because you will know what you're doing and you won't be overwealmed by everything.
Well we are moving next year
C/MSgt

Struts

Are you still going to be in CAP after you move?

inactive123

Quote from: Cashboy on June 10, 2012, 09:51:56 PM
Are you still going to be in CAP after you move?
IDK my dad is in the Coast Guard
C/MSgt

Struts

If you have any idea where he is going to be stationed look up CAP units for that are and go from there.

Here is a thread that I also posted in that might help you out since you are relatively new...
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15522.0

inactive123

Quote from: Cashboy on June 10, 2012, 09:55:55 PM
If you have any idea where he is going to be stationed look up CAP units for that are and go from there.

Here is a thread that I also posted in that might help you out since you are relatively new...
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15522.0
Thanks
C/MSgt

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

arajca

There area  few wings that hold winter encampments between Christmas and New Years. That may be an option as well.

Nathan

Quote from: arajca on June 11, 2012, 01:01:32 AM
There area  few wings that hold winter encampments between Christmas and New Years. That may be an option as well.

Kansas does. We've been taking a lot of out-of-state people.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Rhode Island during Spring Break.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

EMT-83

I think I know which unit you're in, with that nonsense about "earning" your uniform one piece at a time.

Hang in there, you'll do just fine. If you're interested in Orientation Flights, PM me.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 11, 2012, 07:13:30 PM
Spring break is different for some people...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

inactive123

The promblem is that we are moving next year- thats going to stop me from going. Ill find a winter then.
C/MSgt

inactive123

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 11, 2012, 12:29:26 AM
panic buttons
Panic buttons?
You know:
Hows The Cow
Shes Fine
She walks, she talks shes full of chalk...
C/MSgt

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Should be the week of April 15-19. We've had to be flexible on the weekend days in the past few years.

jeders

Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 11, 2012, 08:33:52 PM
panic buttons
Panic buttons?
You know:
Hows The Cow
Shes Fine
That still makes absolutely no sense.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

inactive123

Quote from: jeders on June 11, 2012, 08:43:34 PM
Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 11, 2012, 08:33:52 PM
panic buttons
Panic buttons?
You know:
Hows The Cow
Shes Fine
That still makes absolutely no sense.
I guess they do that at service academies...
Officer: Why are Fire engines red
Cadet: Fire engines are red becuase there are four men and 8 wheels. 4 and 8 arte 12. there are 12 inches in a ruler. Queen elizibeth was a ruler. She sailed the see, which have fish. Fish have fins and the Fins fought the Russian. Fire engines are always rushing. Thats way fire engines are red.
C/MSgt

Eclipse

That doesn't even make joke sense.

"That Others May Zoom"

inactive123

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2012, 08:53:14 PM
Well thats what i have to learn to earn cadet airman and curry. :-[
C/MSgt

jeders

Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 11, 2012, 08:55:01 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2012, 08:53:14 PM
Well thats what i have to learn to earn cadet airman and curry. :-[

Then someone's doing it wrong.

I have never heard of "panic buttons." I've had to memorize general knowledge stuff for inspections and to earn a squadron patch as a cadet. But if they're requiring you to learn that stuff in order to get your Curry, then they're in violation of regs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Extremepredjudice

So they force you to learn jodies to become a C/Amn? Not really legal.

The only one I recognized of the ones you said was "she's fine"  which isn't actually its real name... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Wah_Diddy_Diddy

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Struts

??? Squadrons can not add requirements to get your Curry an achievement. First the hats now the jodies...

inactive123

Quote from: Cashboy on June 11, 2012, 09:03:51 PM
??? Squadrons can not add requirements to get your Curry an achievement. First the hats now the jodies...
It's not my desicion. Its there descision. They approve you and thats what you have to do. Then theres the reveiw board.
C/MSgt

jeders

Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 11, 2012, 09:08:55 PM
It's not my desicion. Its there descision. They approve you and thats what you have to do. Then theres the reveiw board.

That's just it, it is NOT there decision. They can not add requirements for you to earn your achievements, period, end of story.

inactive123

Quote from: jeders on June 11, 2012, 09:10:16 PM

That's just it, it is NOT there decision. They can not add requirements for you to earn your achievements, period, end of story.
So what do I do exactly?
C/MSgt

Struts

Unfortunately nothing really. I definitely would not go in and tell your flight sergeant that,"Some guys on the internet told me that you can't do this." I would get through it and then go from there. But on the encampment subject I would try attending one of the spring or winter ones. I went to a summer one myself, but the difference will be that it is only be a bit colder.

jeders

Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 11, 2012, 09:11:20 PM

So what do I do exactly?

That's a good question.

One thing would be to, very respectfully, go to your Deputy Commander for Cadets and say something like, "I was reading through CAPR 52-16 (something that I highly recommend ever cadet do) and it doesn't say anything about doing memory work for promotions. What's up with that?"

While you're at it you might also say something like, "52-16 says that we're supposed to have a complete uniform before we get promoted. How can we have a complete uniform if we have to earn uniform parts?"

If your DCC is worth anything at all s/he will look at you and say, "Wow, you actually looked that stuff up Cadet Highspeed, good on you." And if they actually get it, they'll say, "You know what, we've been doing it wrong all along. Next week we'll start doing it right."

But before you do this, please go read 52-16.

inactive123

Quote from: jeders on June 11, 2012, 09:21:03 PM
Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 11, 2012, 09:11:20 PM

So what do I do exactly?

That's a good question.

One thing would be to, very respectfully, go to your Deputy Commander for Cadets and say something like, "I was reading through CAPR 52-16 (something that I highly recommend ever cadet do) and it doesn't say anything about doing memory work for promotions. What's up with that?"

While you're at it you might also say something like, "52-16 says that we're supposed to have a complete uniform before we get promoted. How can we have a complete uniform if we have to earn uniform parts?"

If your DCC is worth anything at all s/he will look at you and say, "Wow, you actually looked that stuff up Cadet Highspeed, good on you." And if they actually get it, they'll say, "You know what, we've been doing it wrong all along. Next week we'll start doing it right."

But before you do this, please go read 52-16.
Once again, she is tough too and its been tradition for years and the way the squadrans organized...
C/MSgt

Struts

Do they do this for all promotions? Do they not allow you to test unless it is in this order?

inactive123

Quote from: Cashboy on June 11, 2012, 09:29:54 PM
Do they do this for all promotions? Do they not allow you to test unless it is in this order?
Yes, they do, and more senoir ranks include ES ect. I thought you could become a cadet lt after 1 1/2 years in. It takes them 3.
C/MSgt

Struts

:o  :o  :o  :o

Well this is interesting. Again units can not add requirements for achievements. Anybody else want to jump in on this and help cookies out?

a2capt

Who makes up this crud? 52-16 is a darn fine publication. it's got many years of solid foundation behind it, and mighty fine cadets have come out of the program along the way.

Hats, buttons, goofy sentences? Really?

I hate it when outsiders come into the unit and try to change things because they can't understand something that's being done along the way it's meant to be, but this kind of stuff?

Sounds like something needs to be started over. Period.

inactive123

Quote from: a2capt on June 11, 2012, 10:05:37 PM
Who makes up this crud? 52-16 is a darn fine publication. it's got many years of solid foundation behind it, and mighty fine cadets have come out of the program along the way.

I hate it when outsiders come into the unit and try to change things because they can't understand something that's being done along the way it's meant to be, but this kind of stuff?

But what do I do?
8)
C/MSgt

Struts

Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 11, 2012, 10:15:56 PM

But what do I do?
8)

Try to get through this and get as far as you can even with all of these illegal additives. Get back into CAP after you move and hopefully it will be better there. How many years do you think you will be able to put into the program?

inactive123

Quote from: Cashboy on June 11, 2012, 10:25:08 PM
Quote from: Cadetcookies on June 11, 2012, 10:15:56 PM

But what do I do?
8)

Try to get through this and get as far as you can even with all of these illegal additives. Get back into CAP after you move and hopefully it will be better there. How many years do you think you will be able to put into the program?
Joined at age 12... as long as possible or till military service.
C/MSgt

Eclipse

It sounds like you and your parents should arm yourselves with knowledge from 52-16, and then go and have a chat with your Wing CC or the IG.

If it is as you characterize it, that's unacceptable, and inappropriately delaying promotions, which in turn is likely impacting retention.

I heard something today that rings true..."Delay is the deadliest form of denial."

"That Others May Zoom"

inactive123

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2012, 10:40:31 PM
It sounds like you and your parents should arm yourselves with knowledge from 52-16, and then go and have a chat with your Wing CC or the IG.

If it is as you characterize it, that's unacceptable, and inappropriately delaying promotions, which in turn is likely impacting retention.

I heard something today that rings true..."Delay is the deadliest form of denial."
My parents sort of agree to the squadran, only because my dad went to CGA and says I volunteered for it and if I quit I would  not any  good for military officership in my opinion. I really dont know what to do.
C/MSgt

Eclipse

No, you signed up and agreed to abide by the program as defined by NHQ, not as it is being made up locally, especially like this.

However if your parents won't support you, I don't know that there is much you >can< do.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 11, 2012, 08:12:14 PM
Spring break is different for some people...
I knew that, But if the cadet is available during that week, he may be able to go to it. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Struts

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2012, 10:59:54 PM
No, you signed up and agreed to abide by the program as defined by NHQ, not as it is being made up locally, especially like this.

However if your parents won't support you, I don't know that there is much you >can< do.
+1 Show your parents 52-16 and show them how it supposed to be done.

inactive123

As regs qoute:
"All units that have cadet members must follow a detailed, systematic plan for introducing prospective cadets to CAP and transforming those young people into cadet airmen within 60 days. Units should match each newcomer with a mentor who accompanies them during meetings, introduces them to the squadron, assists in their orientation and generally makes them feel welcome. The orientation must also include a parents' introduction to CAP. Units that use the Cadet Great Start curriculum and Parents' Guide to CAP satisfy this requirement."
The plan is for 60 days at my squadran, but the plans have been off and unorganized. They expect a cadet to learn all drill in one week( yes, flanks) if they plan on promoting 60 days.
C/MSgt

Struts

Learning drill should be a systematic process where you earn gradually over time instead of it being shoved onto you. What you should know as a basic is how to do your basic facing movements, basic stationary commands, and your columns. You should not need to know flanks within your first meeting. If your squadron even wanted to do this effectively they should be having very well built plans. As has been said before on this forum, "There is no need to reinvent the wheel." Cadet Great Start covers everything and does it in a much more ordered way.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2012, 10:40:31 PM

As a cadet you have the same right to have your issue addressed as a senior member. Your chain of command is where you should start, Deputy Commander (for Cadets if a Composite Squadron), Squadron Commander, Group Commander (if your wing has groups), Wing Commander.

For a cadet, going above the squadron level can be intimidating. You can also file an IG complaint, see CAPR 123-2 for details. One of the options for the IG is to assist in getting the issue resolved. Not everything needs to be a full blown investigation.

Eclipse

Great Start does not include having to "earn" your uniform...

"That Others May Zoom"