Main Menu

Blue Beret Patch

Started by Stonewall, April 13, 2009, 03:17:46 PM

Stonewall

Looking at Vanguard's site, I just looked at the NBB patch longer than ever before.  I guess I knew what it was, but never really comprehended that it's an actual Blue Beret sitting on an 8-ball.

Okay, so you go to an activity called "Blue Beret" and not only do you get a blue beret to wear, but you get a patch with a blue beret on it.

Talk about...

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Well, in defense of something that I don't like to defend - the beret is only authorized for a very limited portion of activities and only when your CC says its ok.

Whereas the patch can be worn in perpetuity and also on the flightsuit and jumpsuit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2009, 03:21:04 PM
Whereas the patch can be worn in perpetuity and also on the flightsuit and jumpsuit.

I understand that and this is not me being against berets (which I am).  I just think the NBB could be better.  A patch with a beret on it?  Really?  I guess it's called "Blue Beret", what else are you going to put on the patch?

Meh.  Just found it a little weak I guess.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Ah - I misread that.

The insignia goes back to when is was an Iowa program significantly different than it is today.  I agree they could do better on an insignia.

Maybe its time for an update.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rob Sherlin

Better yet, most of the "blue" berrets I've seen are "black". I have nothing against berets! The regular AF guys at the gate when I go to meetings wear black berrets (AF security) and they look sharp! But there does need to be some clarification on wearing them (we have a cadet in our squadron who has earned one, and I overheard him asking the other cadets, "Who's jealous of my beret?". I wasn't a member yet, but it sure seems like he was shoving it into the other cadets faces (showing off), and kind of made the other cadets feel like he was looking down on them ( I can see it in their faces).
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

isuhawkeye

The 8 ball came into being in the early years of the Iowa wing special service corps.  The 8 ball was created by chaplain Aydt.  the logo was derived from the 7 wings in NCR, plus the headquarters for the region.  The early berets also functioned similarly to the PA Wing ranger teams.  Beret's deployed to SAR missions, flooding , and other disasters.  The team was always said to be "behind the 8 ball". 

the patch has been a part of this particlar peogram for 30 years. 

more information can be found at www.blueberet.org

Stonewall

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 13, 2009, 03:43:41 PM
Better yet, most of the "blue" berrets I've seen are "black". I have nothing against berets! The regular AF guys at the gate when I go to meetings wear black berrets (AF security) and they look sharp!

The AF guys you see are wearing blue berets.  The AF Security Forces berets often look black as they are so dark.  But I assure you, place it next to an actual black beret and you will see the difference.  I am one of those AF Security Forces guys one weekend a month.

I actually ordered a blue beret from Vanguard recently thinking it would be the AF blue beret for Security Forces but disappointed to find that it's not what I was looking for.  I think they actually sell them for CAP, not the AF.  When compared to my issued beret, it looks royal blue almost.  Way out of regs for me to wear. 
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 13, 2009, 03:44:31 PMthe patch has been a part of this particlar peogram for 30 years. 

I am not dissing NBB, but just because something has been a part of us for 30 years, doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. 
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 13, 2009, 03:43:41 PM
Better yet, most of the "blue" berrets I've seen are "black". I have nothing against berets! The regular AF guys at the gate when I go to meetings wear black berrets (AF security) and they look sharp!

Those berets, both the CAP ones and the ones the USAF SF are wearing a blue, not black.  Army wears black berets.

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 13, 2009, 03:43:41 PMBut there does need to be some clarification on wearing them

Members who have earned one can wear one.  Unit Commander has the authority to restrict wear.  Pretty clear.  

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 13, 2009, 03:43:41 PM(we have a cadet in our squadron who has earned one, and I overheard him asking the other cadets, "Who's jealous of my beret?". I wasn't a member yet, but it sure seems like he was shoving it into the other cadets faces (showing off), and kind of made the other cadets feel like he was looking down on them ( I can see it in their faces).

Sounds like an issue unit leadership needs to address.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2009, 03:56:15 PMI actually ordered a blue beret from Vanguard recently thinking it would be the AF blue beret for Security Forces but disappointed to find that it's not what I was looking for.  I think they actually sell them for CAP, not the AF.  When compared to my issued beret, it looks royal blue almost.  Way out of regs for me to wear. 

Probably the USAFA blue beanie.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on April 13, 2009, 04:00:44 PM
Probably the USAFA blue beanie.

Yes.  I knew I had seen it before.  I saw the USAFA guys at Lackland last year and their berets were more blue than ours.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on April 13, 2009, 03:58:29 PM
Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 13, 2009, 03:43:41 PMBut there does need to be some clarification on wearing them

Members who have earned one can wear one.  Unit Commander has the authority to restrict wear.  Pretty clear.

Only over field uniforms, just to answer the next question...

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

To elaborate just a little more...

Patch Description:
"The blue beret perched atop of the eight ball represents the Blue Berets. The number '8' represents the seven wings and region headquarters within the North Central Region. The eight ball represents the fact that Blue Berets are always 'behind the eight ball' when called out on missions."

The real story is...
Around 1969, Mike Vorachek of Idaho Wing and Chaplain Raymond Aydt created the 8-ball design. It was based upon the plastic, liquid-filled 'Magic 8-ball' toy from Mattel - shake it up and it gives you an answer. It was inferred that the only decisions being made at one particular activity were made by the 8-ball and not the cadet staff. Putting the beret on top of it was only natural. Chaplain Aydt and Mike Vorachek went downtown in Williston, ND and had a drawing made. Later, they presented it to [then] Col William Cass, founder and commander of the Iowa Wing Blue Berets. He got a great kick out of it and the idea rapidly caught on. At the first Blue Beret reunion in 1969 held at Ledges State Park in Iowa, Chaplain Aydt presented the 8-ball design. When the activity's name changed from Iowa Wing Blue Berets to North Central Region Special Service Corps, the letters 'NCRSSC' were added to the 8-ball's beret, and the first pocket patches were made.

The 8-ball patch fell into disuse as the years went by, but in 1987 Captain Ken Gleich of Missouri Wing learned about the design. It was resurrected briefly during the last few years of Blue Beret when the activity became 'CAP-EAA Oshkosh' ran by Great Lakes Region. Very shortly after Blue Beret returned as a national activty in 1995, a new shoulder patch featuring the Saint Alban's Cross came into use about a year later.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

swamprat86

I recall the St Alban's cross pin being worn on the beret as far back as 85-86.  What is the significance of that?

alamrcn

Here is the gist of that...

The Saint Alban's Cross worn on the beret is a symbol that embodies the Blue Beret spirit. It is a gold cross on a dark blue background. Saint Alban was a monk, and a martyr in medieval times, who was put to death for giving a condemned man his cloak. He was a man who was willing to give everything, including his life, for his fellow man. This is the same feeling and dedication felt by all Blue Berets, and embodies the Blue Beret motto, which is: "The Mission Comes First."

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

Have hope about getting rid of hoky patches -- after all FL got rid of their pregnant alligator (eventually). 

ol'fido

Hey Ace,

Didn't they used to give the NEAT(National Emergency Assistance Training) patch to BB grads or am I thinking of something else?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

isuhawkeye

Ace,

Thanks for the Clarification.  My account of the 8 ball came from General Cass in 1999, and again a few years ago when I was back at Oshkosh. 

He did make a point of telling me that he did not like the 8 ball as a design when it first came out

alamrcn

NEAT patch...

You are right, Blue Beret was one of the qualifying schools for this badge. I'm not sure which others were also involved in the program. I might have notes of that in Col Lousia Morse's books, I'll take a look. That's the first version of the NEAT patch above, the second had the letters removed by popular demand around 1988 or so... I'd have to look at some old Bookstore catalogs to see for sure.

When the [Wisconsin Wing?] Blue Beret ES-based school was killed after 1989, CAP's support of the EAA Air Venture continued on as a Great Lakes Region activity.

Notice the reference to the St Alban's Cross, but blundering on the colors. I don't know what the ribbon on top represents. This design was also an enameled pin, which was used by some in 1995 on their berets at the first NBB.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

ol'fido

Ace,

Thanks for the clarification. The only person I have ever seen wearing the NEAT patch was Lt. Col.(R) Larry Sitton, who used to be the ILWG Historian. He had quite the patch and insignia collection as well. In fact, a whole room at the Octave Chanute Museum in Rantoul, IL(the old Chanute AFB) was devoted to CAP and it was filled with Larry's collection. Later on he had to remove it as the museum wanted the space for other things but it was a dandy. Larry is a true CAP "original" and a good friend.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006