Need a little 39-1 help

Started by Stonewall, May 24, 2008, 10:42:26 PM

Stonewall

I'm trying to find in 39-1 where it says you can wear two badges above the CAP nametape on the BDUs.  I'm on my laptop and realized I don't have Adobe so I can't read pdf right now.

Can anyone quote the reg for me?  Again, I need to know that it says you can wear two badges, such as GTM and EMT badge at the same time above the CAP nametape on the BDUs.

Thanks.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

If they are CAP badges such as you describe, no it's not authorized on any uniform... It's all in the wording, or in this case lack of it.

One CAP aviation badge and one specialty insignia only.

Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Really?  I didn't even question it because I thought it was good to go.  Just like the AF wearing 2 skill badges, it's done all the time and authorized per the AFI.

I've seen lots of folks in CAP wearing GTM/EMT.  Guess they're wrong and I guess I'm wrong.

Good thing I don't do it   ::)
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

CAPM 39-1 Chapter 6 doesn't account for badge on top of badge unless one is an aviation badge, unlike AFI 36-2903.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4.5 Specialty Insignia (Chaplain, Legal, Medical, EMT, Ground Team) embroidered in white cotton thread centered 1/2-inch above the cloth "Civil Air Patrol"tape worn over the left breast pocket of BDU, field uniform and BDU or dark blue field jacket, 1/2 inch below aviation badge. EXCEPTION: chaplain insignia is worn 1/2 inch above the aviation badge.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

From 39-1: "CAP Aviation Badges and Specialty Insignia: Embroidered, worn 1/2 inch above the cloth "Civil Air Patrol" tape worn over the left breast pocket.  If both devices are worn, aviation badges should be 1/2 inch above specialty insignia."

It would seem that in the wording that it does only account for one of each. Kinda crappy. You might get the impression that only aircrew really matter, no one else is worthy. Or that CAP doesn't try to really try to write regs fresh, just recycles old content with a few newbies thrown it.

McPeak did the same thing with the blues he created. It wasn't popular, and got changed within weeks of Fogleman taking over. CAP should follow that lead.

SSgt Rudin

If you want to play with wording the you CAN wear an EMT and GTM badge above the ribbons on the blues.

Quote2. CAP Aviation Badges and Specialty Insignia: Highly polished, worn 1/2 inch above ribbons or left
pocket if ribbons are not worn.

10. A maximum of 2 devices may be worn above the ribbons.

Does not say that one of those two devices has to be an aviation badge.  ;D
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

MIKE

You are wrong... Now, fix it.
Mike Johnston

CadetProgramGuy

Wow.. I was always told 2 badges on the BDU.......I even stand corrected.

There's ALOT of members out there that need to fix their uniforms......

Stonewall

I think while it is incorrect to wear 2 badges above the CAP nametape per CAP regs, it is widely accepted since the Air Force does it.  I'm fairly strict on uniform regs and I thought it was good to go.  Guess we all learned something.

I know, no one has to tell me, just because it's "widely accepted" doesn't mean it's right.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Bear in mind that military badges both aviation and otherwise are different.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on May 25, 2008, 04:27:06 AM
Bear in mind that military badges both aviation and otherwise are different.

Huh?

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on May 25, 2008, 06:39:25 PM
The standard is different.

Still not following what you're trying to say.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on May 25, 2008, 04:12:51 AM
I think while it is incorrect to wear 2 badges above the CAP nametape per CAP regs, it is widely accepted since the Air Force does it.  I'm fairly strict on uniform regs and I thought it was good to go.  Guess we all learned something.

I know, no one has to tell me, just because it's "widely accepted" doesn't mean it's right.

2 badges are fine, just not two >aviation< badges.  1 GT & 1 wings is ok.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 25, 2008, 06:54:37 PM

As Lt Col Bowden mentioned two skill badges is authorized by AFI 36-2903, and likewise in CAPM 39-1 military badges are worn "as prescribed by the US Air Force." on the BDU.  So, if UK wanted to, he could wear his two function badges on his CAP uniform.  Clear now?
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on May 25, 2008, 07:16:17 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on May 25, 2008, 06:54:37 PM

As Lt Col Bowden mentioned two skill badges is authorized by AFI 36-2903, and likewise in CAPM 39-1 military badges are worn "as prescribed by the US Air Force." on the BDU.  So, if UK wanted to, he could wear his two function badges on his CAP uniform.  Clear now?

Ah, I see now. Probably just a little dense today, I couldn't figure out what you were saying. I was probably overthinking it, and the obvious went over my head.

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2008, 07:10:55 PM
2 badges are fine, just not two >aviation< badges.  1 GT & 1 wings is ok.

Actually, two aviation badges would be allowed, one CAP, one military. Two CAP aviation badges are not specifically authorized.

It only applies to Blues and Woodland BDU's, though.

jrsvf

May I suggest that you send uniform questions via eamil to National HQ (Mrs Suzie Parker).  I do not want to take anything away from these other fine individuals, but on an interpretation question of this regulation especially, defer to the ones who make the regulations. This way you eliminate any he said/ he said questions.

Pylon

Except there is no room for interpretation in way in which it is written.  Therefore, no further "staff clarification" can change the reg.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

cap235629

Quote from: jrsvf on May 25, 2008, 10:48:11 PM
May I suggest that you send uniform questions via eamil to National HQ (Mrs Suzie Parker).  I do not want to take anything away from these other fine individuals, but on an interpretation question of this regulation especially, defer to the ones who make the regulations. This way you eliminate any he said/ he said questions.

We did and her answer was contrary to the "common" practice I believe that is why stonewall posted the question, to see if there was any other opinions
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé