Missed this, NHQ considering revising FCU Program

Started by Майор Хаткевич, April 01, 2014, 08:51:37 PM

Майор Хаткевич

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/?new_ideas_on_the_free_cadet_uniform_program&show=entry&blogID=1195#comments

I don't frequent the blog enough, but didn't see any chatter on it here either.

Any thoughts?

I'd be interested to see how the money is spent. I've seen many comparisons here of CAP costs compared to other activities (school sports, martial arts, boy scouts, etc).

Personally? I think we could come up with a compromise where a cadet can be outfitted in uniforms at a reasonable first year cost under $200, then leading to the normal annual rate from there. We'd still be one of the most affordable options out there.

Eclipse

No means testing, but I like the BDU option, and agree nothing free until Curry.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Some brought up encampment graduation. Any reason these can't be done in BDUs?

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 02, 2014, 04:10:37 AM

Because they generally look like crap after a week of being worn at encampment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PA Guy

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 02, 2014, 04:10:37 AM

By the end of a week long encampment the BDUs are thoroughly trashed in most cases. Blues are worn infrequently so chances are the Blues will be in better condition. Graduation is a formal ceremony  and should not look like a grungy gaggle. 

lordmonar

So.....no there is no reason why we can't do encampment completely in BDUs.

Personally I would hold off on the FCU until Wright Brothers myself.
At my squadron we have a big drop off before WB as far as ROI waiting until then would get the most bang for the buck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 02, 2014, 04:53:49 AM

+1.

Wash them, iron them, graduate in them.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2014, 08:29:11 PM

+1.

But...but...they're dirty and they've been used!
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Personally I would hold off on the FCU until Wright Brothers myself.
At my squadron we have a big drop off before WB as far as ROI waiting until then would get the most bang for the buck.

Never mind that the blues uniform is the "minimum required uniform" for the cadet program?

Or that BDUs cannot be "required" unless supplied (yeah, like thats ever stopped anybody?)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on April 02, 2014, 11:15:29 PMNever mind that the blues uniform is the "minimum required uniform" for the cadet program?

Easily changed.

Let's take some of that "support to the wings" money and put cadets in BDUs-only during Phase I,
and then allow them to wear blues only >after< an encampment during Phase II.

Would save a lot of people a lot of money and hassle.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2014, 08:29:11 PM

+1.

You're making assumptions about the facilities that some wings have available to them to run encampment. Bringing 200 sets of BDUs to the laundromat, and providing a place for cadets to iron them upon their return, isn't going to work everywhere.

Майор Хаткевич

I've yet to see a justified reason to get the BDUs so filthy.

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on April 02, 2014, 11:48:34 PM
You're making assumptions about the facilities that some wings have available to them to run encampment. Bringing 200 sets of BDUs to the laundromat, and providing a place for cadets to iron them upon their return, isn't going to work everywhere.

Yes, I am.  But a lot of them have laundry facilities or machines, bring two, or just don't get them too dirty.
Treat the ones that don't as exceptions.  I've seen the reverse issue as well with cadets wearing their
blues for inspections mid-encampment and graduating with a stained shirt, etc.

Soldiers wear the same uniforms for days and weeks at a time in austere environments, cadets should be
able to survive a week in barrack, etc., and not be covered in mud by graduation.

With proper undergarments, BDUs hold up pretty well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2014, 11:57:16 PM

Yes, I am.  But a lot of them have laundry facilities or machines, bring two, or just don't get them too dirty.
Treat the ones that don't as exceptions.  I've seen the reverse issue as well with cadets wearing their

Soldiers wear the same uniforms for days and weeks at a time in austere environments, cadets should be
able to survive a week in barrack, etc., and not be covered in mud by graduation.

All this will take is some prescience on the part of the organizer. One set for daily use, one set for down n dirty activities.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

I'm in favor of requiring Curry, OTOH, the way things work, that's about what happens anyway, before the thing would show up.

PA Guy

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 02, 2014, 11:53:10 PM
I've yet to see a justified reason to get the BDUs so filthy.

Follow this link  to pages 8-9  .  To add to it remember that in CAWG  we don't have green in the Summer only varying shades of brown and with no rain a lot of dust.

http://www.cawgcadets.org/Activities/Encampment/08%20Weekbook/EncampmentWeekBook2008small.pdf

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

NJ Wing used to hold our week long ES training in the field. Two sets of utes with field sanitation. And we wore our BDU at graduation, and still managed to look sharp. There is no valid reason to not be able to use the BDU at graduation.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PA Guy

Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2014, 02:49:02 PM
So wear PT gear in the dirt instead.

Run 250+ cadets through a dirt O Course in shorts and T shirts? I wouldn't suggest it.  You will spend the rest of the day taking care of all the skinned knees, scratches, small cuts etc. Look, if you want to play the contrarian great but at least give people some warning.

PA Guy

Quote from: THRAWN on April 03, 2014, 02:52:58 PM

NJ Wing used to hold our week long ES training in the field. Two sets of utes with field sanitation. And we wore our BDU at graduation, and still managed to look sharp. There is no valid reason to not be able to use the BDU at graduation.

Graduation is a formal ceremony. IMO BDU's are not appropriate for formal occasions such as Encampment graduation. No one is arguing if you can . But why would you want to? For an ES activity I can see it, just not for Encampment graduation. To say there is no valid reason is quite a stretch. That is just your opinion like mine.