New Jungle Boots $15

Started by Stonewall, April 18, 2012, 02:15:16 AM

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Wow!  Not big enough for me, but anyone looking for boots with a ca$h flow issue should jump on these!

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

I have a cadet in dire need of this.  Thanks!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Extremepredjudice

Cool, I was looking for a cheap pair of field boots.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

AngelWings

What a steal! Thank you for sharing! I might see how many I can get so I can get some for my squadron.

Private Investigator

If they are made in China they will fall apart.

My son got a pair of $15 jungle boots at the local Army/Navy store and they felled apart within weeks.   :'(

commando1

Wow. Just wow. If you guys have any compassion for your cadets, PLEASE don't spend any sort of money on these. You get exactly what you pay for with boots. If you give these to your cadets, even ONLY wearing them one night a week, they will only last a month or two. I had a pair of these that didn't last through the break in period. Send them to Walmart major department store with $40 for some cheap Brahma or something boots. They are steel-toe, shine well, and will last years as compared to weeks.
Non Timebo Mala

SarDragon

These are normally priced at $60. I'm reluctant to think that a trusted, longtime poster, and veteran of multiple sandbox tours would try to steer us wrong on something this important.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

I know nothing of these particular boots. But I will say that I've seen $120 boots eat up feet & I've seen $120 boots fall apart in under 2 weeks. It all depends on the person, boots, environment, & how often they're worn.

I've got a $1 pair of shower shoes that lasted me a full deployment. I wore them every day for at least an hour a day. If those will last, I'm sure these boots will last more than a few meetings when worn by a 14 year old.

Just because some of us can afford quality boots & are here for the long haul, doesn't mean a cadet or even newer SM trying to save a buck & feel out the organization shouldn't buy these. I don't personally need these, nor would I buy them, but someone out there could use these & I'd be willing to be $15 that they'll last more than a few 2 hour meetings.
Serving since 1987.

Private Investigator

I looked at the ad and they are not Altamas. If they are the knockoffs from China that they are selling in Army/Navy stores currently. People will be disappointed.

I got a 35 year old Camp Lejeune t-shirt that I got for $3 that is still serviceable if that means anything.   8)

manfredvonrichthofen

These aren't the junk Rothco boots many of you ate thinking of. They look like they possibly came from AAFEES, but wherever they came from, they look like they were made better than Rothco, speed laces, and quite a bit of double stitching and padding. I would get them.

bflynn

Quote from: SarDragon on April 18, 2012, 09:41:29 AM
These are normally priced at $60. I'm reluctant to think that a trusted, longtime poster, and veteran of multiple sandbox tours would try to steer us wrong on something this important.

Relax, I don't think anyone is suggesting that Stonewall is attempting to steer someone wrong.

What they're saying is that when something is too good to be true, it probably is.  Stonewall is saying nothing about the boots other than they are really inexpensive.

How can US Patriot sell a boot at 75% off?  One possible way is that they got a really good bargain on buying them because they were cheaply made.  It's what I've experienced most often.  I work in the supply chain industry and I'll tell you that it happens.  A buyer thinks they're getting a good bargain and winds up with cheap goods that don't meet the company's standards.

If you buy these boots
- be sure to know US Patriot's return/replacement policy on your purchase.
- come back in 3-6 months and let us know how the boots are holding up.

Stonewall

FWIW all the big named companies, from Altama to Bellville, often manufacture their boots overseas.  Only the ones that are contract purchased by the US Military are made in the USA.  I have a $200 pair of Gore-tex Bellevilles that were made in Vietnam.  Where they are made makes little difference most of the time.

I am NOT advocating the purchase of or the quality of these boots.  There is no doubt that "you get what you pay for" is in full affect here.  But with that said, if my son were in CAP and growing like a leaf, I'd buy 2 or 3 pair of these boots in different sizes for him to use rather than dropping $100 for boots that he'll out grow in a year.

And for the record, I've known lots of people that wore the "Chinese knock-offs" for years and they held strong.  I personally wouldn't trust my feet to them, but hey, to each his own.  And from a CAP perspective, other than some young hooah cadets going to PJOC or Hawk Mountain, there isn't much in CAP that a young cadet would do that these boots couldn't hold up to.  My 5 year old wears $10 to $15 Wal-mart shoes every day and they last him a few months at a time, often growing out of them before they wear out too bad. Granted, he has like 5 pair.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

The average CAP member will never need more than a $15 pair of boots like these. 

Unit meetings and an occasional hike are not going to tear these up.

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

Just bought a pair for myself.
I'll wear them exclusively and report back how they respond to the kind of punishment to which I routinely subject my footwear.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Noble Six

United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

Stonewall

Quote from: Noble Six on April 18, 2012, 06:44:32 PM
I don't mean to snipe a thread from stonewall but for those of you who are brand loyal here you go.

[darn], that's a good deal on some Altamas.  Good find!  I only posted my "find" because someone knew I was in CAP and may be interested in that US Patriot deal.

Are green jungle boots still authorized in CAP?
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Noble Six

Yes the green jungles are still authorized.  I ordered a several pairs of them in my size (sometimes hard to find).  No complaints on my end.  They do fit very snug and you can always feel the metal eyelets or maybe thats just me.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

Private Investigator

Quote from: Noble Six on April 18, 2012, 06:52:54 PM
Yes the green jungles are still authorized.

I wear the green jungles too. Great price! Division Supply on Okinawa had them for $9.95 back in 1975 ...

Thanks for the heads up.  8)

manfredvonrichthofen

I wear green jungles, simply because no one else around here that I know of wears them, and I know I can set mine out to dry next to everyone else's and I know no one else is accidentally going to pick them up and I'm not going to accidentally pick up someone else's.

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 19, 2012, 12:17:53 PM
I wear green jungles, simply because no one else around here that I know of wears them, and I know I can set mine out to dry next to everyone else's and I know no one else is accidentally going to pick them up and I'm not going to accidentally pick up someone else's.
What I do is the old basic training trick by labeling the inside of my boots with the first letter of my last name and the last four digits of my SSN. I might come off as a try hard or poser, but it does work and saves people confusion.

titanII

Quote from: Littleguy on April 19, 2012, 10:26:56 PM
What I do is the old basic training trick by labeling the inside of my boots with the first letter of my last name and the last four digits of my SSN. I might come off as a try hard or poser, but it does work and saves people confusion.
I just write my last name inside...
No longer active on CAP talk

johnnyb47

Ordered the $15 boots two days ago, specified standard ground and according to UPS the boots are already on the truck out for delivery today.
Capt
Communications Officer

johnnyb47

$15 boots arrived today. Very fast shipping.
1. No speed lace. Eyelettes.
2. Flipped over. "Rothco"

Not as pictured at all but arrived in good shape. Going to wear them anyhow for the average meeting night stuff. Saves some wear on my terrain stompers.
Capt
Communications Officer

Private Investigator

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 18, 2012, 12:38:22 PM
These aren't the junk Rothco boots many of you ate thinking of.

I guess they are    8)

dogboy

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2012, 01:57:34 PM
The average CAP member will never need more than a $15 pair of boots like these. 

Unit meetings and an occasional hike are not going to tear these up.

I agree with this and want to add a special note about cadets. Younger cadets' feet will grow a full size every year. Older cadet, a half size.

There's no point in getting expensive boots if they will be outgrown in a short period. It's equally bad to buy boot too big because "you'll grow into them". Better to buy cheaper expendable boots.