Main Menu

Uniform Question

Started by Paul_AK, February 25, 2015, 03:50:46 AM

SarDragon

Your memory is correct, and mine incomplete. Military creases were optional on the dark blue shirt. I used to wear that one, and thought it was one of the best uniforms we ever had.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

That was the Shade 1549 long sleeve blue shirt. Pretty popular in cold climates, not so much in warm areas.
Wore it for a couple of years for CAP when I was at Offutt AFB, NE in the 80's.
The ability to wear thermals under it was a big reason I wore it. [insert frozen smiley here]

Paul_AK

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 26, 2015, 10:32:46 PM
Folks, I did a search of this a couple days ago and every chapter that references a shirt whether it is the blues, corporate and the working uniforms states that military creases are not authorized, not allowed or prohibited.  And that is straight out of CAPM39-1.
That was where my confusion was. I am well aquainted with the 36-2903 and pretty much every necessary paragraph in CAPM 39-1, save one, had a sentence prohibiting military creases. However, one did not and this is why I thought it prudent to double check so there would be no question as to the answer I forwarded to the cadets.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PHall on March 01, 2015, 03:31:05 PM
That was the Shade 1549 long sleeve blue shirt. Pretty popular in cold climates, not so much in warm areas.
The ability to wear thermals under it was a big reason I wore it. [insert frozen smiley here]

I think it was the Shade 1549 shirt only at the end of it's life. Before that, wasn't it the Shade 1084 shirt and the Shade 84 shirt before that?

It was a bit pricy compared to the light blue shirt. They seemed to be popular with cadet officers from the Eastern US. They weren't practical as a formation uniform because not everybody had them. But any opportunity to wear them was sought and used.

They were a bit hot for CA. But just the thing for Vandenberg AFB, with the famous "Vandenfog" that rolled in around 1400 every day. They were authorized at encampments as a post-1800 uniform item for years.

I've said it before - I think tears were shed, both USAF tears and CAP tears, when that shirt was phased out.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 06, 2015, 07:55:34 AM
Quote from: PHall on March 01, 2015, 03:31:05 PM

I think it was the Shade 1549 shirt only at the end of it's life. Before that, wasn't it the Shade 1084 shirt and the Shade 84 shirt before that?

It was a bit pricy compared to the light blue shirt. They seemed to be popular with cadet officers from the Eastern US. They weren't practical as a formation uniform because not everybody had them. But any opportunity to wear them was sought and used.

They were a bit hot for CA. But just the thing for Vandenberg AFB, with the famous "Vandenfog" that rolled in around 1400 every day. They were authorized at encampments as a post-1800 uniform item for years.

I've said it before - I think tears were shed, both USAF tears and CAP tears, when that shirt was phased out.
Indeed, that was a truly disappointing day when I had to stop wearing it. It was the same for the USN equivalent.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker