Main Menu

Approvers for new CPPT

Started by jeders, February 24, 2015, 03:02:24 PM

jeders

Quote from: Ned on February 27, 2015, 04:56:42 PM
Thank you for the feedback.

To minimize confusion about the Cadet Protection Basic Course summary conversation, you will now find the Summary Conversation Document in Lesson 3: Leadership Summary Conversation of the Cadet Protection Basic Course in the Learning Management System.  We've also added more clarifying information on the Cadet Protection page, just follow the "summary conversation" link.  Once a trainer documents the summary conversation in LMS it's simply approved by the member's commander and appears in eServices.

We've also added a "walk-through" for mentors since LMS can sometimes seem less than user-friendly.

Thank you.

QuoteAnd in terms of "why do commanders have to approve the course completion?" question, it is our understanding that the process is the same for every course taken in LMS.  They all appear on the commanders' dashboards for approval.  IOW, it's an "LMS thing," not a CPT thing.

It's must be a new LMS thing, because I've taken other LMS courses (some within the last couple of months) and don't recall commander approval being required for any of them. When I was done they just popped into my record.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Storm Chaser

+1.  I've never seen this before either.

MacGruff

Thanks Ned, but I think something is actually wrong.

I went into e-services a few minutes ago and looked up all four people's records:
- None of us show it as being passed in Member Search - Training report
- For me and the Deputy Commander for Seniors, our LMS entry shows a course listed as CPBT and when entered, it shows three green checkmarks.
- Clicking on past results for the two of us, shows CPBT as "Not Completed".
- Even more funny, the two new members who are going through Level 1 have it showing in LMS as completed, but when you click on Past Results, it shows the neither the reading nor the quiz were done and does not even have a line for the summary conversation.

I suspect that something is definitely not lined up in e-services at the moment.

P.S. - I touched base with the Squadron Commander and he has not received any e-services requests to approve anything for the four of us...

:-\

Storm Chaser

I got a CPBC pending e-mail for one of my SQ/CCs. After I approved in LMS, I got another e-mail indicating so. I checked the Member Search Training tab and the training is showing. I also got an e-mail indicating that my CPBC was pending WG/CC approval. So far, so good.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Ned on February 27, 2015, 04:56:42 PM
Thank you for the feedback.

To minimize confusion about the Cadet Protection Basic Course summary conversation, you will now find the Summary Conversation Document in Lesson 3: Leadership Summary Conversation of the Cadet Protection Basic Course in the Learning Management System.  We've also added more clarifying information on the Cadet Protection page, just follow the "summary conversation" link.  Once a trainer documents the summary conversation in LMS it's simply approved by the member's commander and appears in eServices.

We've also added a "walk-through" for mentors since LMS can sometimes seem less than user-friendly.

And in terms of "why do commanders have to approve the course completion?" question, it is our understanding that the process is the same for every course taken in LMS.  They all appear on the commanders' dashboards for approval.  IOW, it's an "LMS thing," not a CPT thing.

Ned Lee
National Cadet Programs Officer
Ned,

None of my other LMS courses have required CC approval, absolutely none.  Only approvals I've ever had come up as a commander (other than CPBC and CPAC) are the ones for level 1.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Ned

Hmmm.  Checking with the LMS crew.  Will advise.

MacGruff

Interesting.

Almost exactly one hour after I posted my last in this topic, I received an email that my CPBT was in "pending" status. Later that evening, the squadron commander got the email that he has to validate the training for all four of us. Today, we all have it showing up in Member Search reports.

In other words, whatever was "clogging" the system, has been unclogged.

Maybe it was purely a coincidence, but I would rather thank Ned and Tim Madeiros for their help!   ;)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Interesting. When I entered the summary conversation for a unit member, it went to the unit commander for approval. When I entered the summary conversation for a group member, it was approved right away.

stixco1

My Group Commander entered my summary conversation, it still went to unit CC for approval.

Ned

OK, as of today commander approval is no longer required for the Basic course.  It will show up as completed as soon as both the quiz and summary conversation are entered.

As an additional note, persons taking the basic course in a classroom situation do not require the Summary Conversation if the presenter is a person authorized to sign off the summcom.  The theory is that the summary conversation contents will actually be covered during the class. (The presenter just signs off everyone in the class.)

Commander approval will still be required for the advanced course.

Better?

Storm Chaser

Well, mine is still not showing. An e-mail was sent to the wing commander for approval and I guess now it needs to be approved. The training shows as completed in LMS, but it's not showing in the Member Search Training tab.

jeders

Quote from: Ned on March 06, 2015, 06:09:07 PM
OK, as of today commander approval is no longer required for the Basic course.  It will show up as completed as soon as both the quiz and summary conversation are entered.

As an additional note, persons taking the basic course in a classroom situation do not require the Summary Conversation if the presenter is a person authorized to sign off the summcom.  The theory is that the summary conversation contents will actually be covered during the class. (The presenter just signs off everyone in the class.)

Commander approval will still be required for the advanced course.

Better?

Much, it just makes sense.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Ned

All:

I need to clarify one of my earlier responses in this or the other thread:

When using the classroom format to present the Cadet Protection Basic Course, the instructor simply completes a Form 11 (Senior Membership PD Report) and mails / faxes it to NHQ using the address / number on the form.

This is described in the Lesson Plan for the training.

Restated, instructors should not try to go on-line and try to enter summary conversations / completions / etc. in LMS.  That will simply generate an error message since (most) students will not have enrolled in the course through LMS.

Just use the F11.

Sorry for my confusing responses here and elsewhere.  I am still an LMS noob.

MacGruff

I can confirm Ned's words. If you use the Classroom setting for getting your Senior Members through the Basic portion of the training, you will not be able to use LMS to give them the credit for it, and you should use Form 11 and send it in to NHQ.