Aviation Film Clips from long ago

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, February 22, 2015, 05:31:40 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

From aerobatics in a Ford Tri-motor, to early a 1950's missile tests, to early USAF Newsreels, a good way to waste several hours looking at yesteryear.

http://imageevent.com/okbueno/mopic
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Luis R. Ramos

Nice clip collection, thanks for posting it.

Watched the video of the airplane crash into the Midway while attempting to land.

Made me wonder what would be the procedure when a carrier deck is fouled up after an accident of that kind, with other acft in a landing pattern?

Would the person in charge of Air Ops, (would that be designated the Air Boss?) make a direct request to another carrier to take over landing ops for that carrier?

Or would the Air Ops guy have to "recommend or suggest" that the Senior Officer of that damaged carrier seek support from other carriers, and that senior officer grant approval before diverting incoming aircraft?

Lastly I saw the video without sound. Did Cmdr Duncan survive?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Frequently, there's not another carrier available. First priority is to get the flight deck landing area clear. If that's going to take a while, they get a tanker, or two, in the air, and keep everyone else flying. Sometimes there's already one up there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on February 22, 2015, 07:14:57 PM
Frequently, there's not another carrier available. First priority is to get the flight deck landing area clear. If that's going to take a while, they get a tanker, or two, in the air, and keep everyone else flying. Sometimes there's already one up there.

Back in those days, carriers tended to travel in little packs, versus a single-carrier-based "Battle group"

IIRC, that was the 2nd F9F carrier landing in 1951 during carrier suitability testing, so Cdr Duncan was the only guy in the pattern.

Nobody else had to worry about going around/orbiting.

And in 1951, AR wasn't even a thing for Navy jets
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 22, 2015, 05:48:49 PM
Lastly I saw the video without sound. Did Cmdr Duncan survive?

George Duncan as a Captain, commanded the carrier USS Ranger, a coveted assignment and a fitting capstone to a distinguished naval career. He retired from the Navy in 1968 and went into law. He passed away in 1995. He had 13.5 air kills and was awarded Navy Cross, Silver Star, DFC among others. He graduated from the Naval Academy in 1939.   

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on February 22, 2015, 08:40:21 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 22, 2015, 07:14:57 PM

Back in those days, carriers tended to travel in little packs, versus a single-carrier-based "Battle group"

IIRC, that was the 2nd F9F carrier landing in 1951 during carrier suitability testing, so Cdr Duncan was the only guy in the pattern.

Nobody else had to worry about going around/orbiting.

And in 1951, AR wasn't even a thing for Navy jets

It was getting close. Tests were done on the Panther, and most of the Cougars were IFR-equipped.

I wonder what they were testing; the Panther was operational throughout the Korean War.

BTW, a different view of that crash was used in The Hunt For Red October.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

In watching that video, the Cutlass that came aboard just before the Panther looked like he was going to eat the ramp as well
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on February 23, 2015, 11:50:53 AM
In watching that video, the Cutlass that came aboard just before the Panther looked like he was going to eat the ramp as well

It ain't called the "Ramp Monster" for nothing!

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret