Main Menu

CAWG CC 'Departing' ?

Started by a2capt, September 11, 2007, 06:54:11 PM

calguy

Our members want their cake and eat it too!  There have been several e-mails and blogs saying the CAWG CC and IC were not allowing member owned a/c.  The fact is that National was requesting that member owned aircraft not be used.  The IC and CC took it under advisement and elected to use a limit number of member a/c.  Kudos to them...not blame!  As Sgt. Friday would have said...just the facts!

ZigZag911

Talked to my wing DO today....his understanding is that the preference is not to use member owned aircraft on SAREX, but REDCAP is a different story, then there is often a desire to launch as many properly equipped AC as are available.

He also said it is ultimately up to 1AF.

Dragoon

"properly equipped AC" being the key term.

SARPilotNY

The CC got a bad rap!  Stepped in at the wrong time to do a job and received no support.  I have had to work with bosses I really didn't like but put those feelings aside to get the job done.  I hope the new CC doesn't experience the same bad luck.  I knew Col. Muniz through CAP & his work, he has  been in CAP most of his life and loved the ogranization.  I hope he continues to help out  in CA or CO.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

SarDragon

Well, your perceptions from afar differ from mine up close.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: SARPilotNY on September 26, 2007, 03:26:09 AM
The CC got a bad rap! [snip!]

Bad rap, eh?

Quote from: SarDragon on September 26, 2007, 05:37:09 AM

I second that.  If we put it to a vote I guess you would be shocked.

Guess you were not here in CAWG the last 5 months plus a couple years to witness first hand the actions and methods used here.  An appointed Wing CC who's never lead a squadron, never attended the UCC, is suddenly thrust before us as if it were a Good Thing.

CAWG got TP'ed.

I'm happy Col. Myrick is back for a short stint, clean house and set the ball rolling in the right direction, and lead a proper Selection Board for a new Wing CC.

Grumpy

Man, didn't take you long to get back on the computer after we left Denney's

SARPilotNY

Remember Larry Myrick "handpicked" Virginia Nelson and that went where?
I hope he can do better this time!
Col. Muniz is a "manager" with years of experience in leadership with law enforcement in the Federal Government.  He was trying to decentralize a very large wing.  He had increased his span of control by having a vice CC as well as a north and south deputies too.  His goals and methods were very foreign from what CAWG had seen in the past but not uncommon in the today's world.  Nobody likes change it seems, he shook things up and pissed people off.  CAWG which I have been a member of on and off for over 30 years needs change.  He cut a lot of deadwood from his staff, put units on notice with aircraft that rarely if ever flew " A" missions  that they would lose their (CAP) aircraft,  had plans to replace some lazy group commanders and he was hold personnel and units accountable.  No wonder why the vocal minority were so concerned and afraid.

SARPilotNY

And what did Col. Muniz do to you directly that left you with such a negative opinion?  Can you give an example or two?

SarDragon

Quote from: SARPilotNY on September 26, 2007, 07:28:08 PM
And what did Col. Muniz do to you directly that left you with such a negative opinion?  Can you give an example or two?

I must graciously decline to air my laundry on a public forum. Thanks for asking, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bosshawk

A couple of comments about some of the negative comments about Col Muniz.  He had finished level five in the PD system, had commanded numerous squadrons, had completed the UCC and just about every other course that some people seem to hold sacred in this Wing and had been a member of CAP for almost 50 years.  If that isn't qualification, I don't know what was.

Yes, he irritated people and he instituted change, but none of that bothers me one whit.  He only put in about 60 hours a week on CAP while he was the CAWG CC: not exactly ignoring the Wing.  Since when is a Wing Commander in a popularity contest?  I guess that, if you aren't in the CAWG mafia, you aren't going to be accepted.

There is an old wag that says something to this effect: ''let he who is without fault, cast the first stone".  Does that apply to some of you naysayers?  Probably.

Flog away at me, if you choose.  I will ignore that just like I ignore most other criticism on this blog.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

lordmonar

Col Jack,

Let's look at the regulation.

Quote from: CAPR 36-5 Para 13a. Region Commander and Vice Commander. Promotion to the temporary appointment as region commander or vice commander. Region vice commanders, who will revert to the grade of lieutenant colonel (regardless of grade prior to appointment) vice commander, unless approved by the National Executive Committee.
b. Wing Commander. Promotion to the temporary grade of colonel is concurrent
commander. The permanent grade of colonel is contingent upon the recommendation wing commander's satisfactory completion of assignment as wing commander.

Para 13b says that the grade is permanent contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the assignment. 

Getting moved up in the chain for any reason by definition is satisfactory completion of the assignment no matter how long you spent in the job. 

It would be hard to argue that the SER/CC did not satisfactorily completed his job as wing CC no matter what happened subsequently.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on September 26, 2007, 11:28:12 PM
A couple of comments about some of the negative comments about Col Muniz.  He had finished level five in the PD system, had commanded numerous squadrons, had completed the UCC and just about every other course that some people seem to hold sacred in this Wing and had been a member of CAP for almost 50 years.  If that isn't qualification, I don't know what was.

Interesting, you are the very first person to say that he did have any kind of CAP Command experience.
You wouldn't want to disclose the sources of this infomation so that the rest of us could be enlightened would you?

Eagle400

Quote from: PHall on September 27, 2007, 01:07:18 AMInteresting, you are the very first person to say that he did have any kind of CAP Command experience.
You wouldn't want to disclose the sources of this infomation so that the rest of us could be enlightened would you?

He won't be able to.  One of the requirements for taking command without any prior command experience is to be good friends with the Major General who-shall-not-be-named. 

bosshawk

Guys: I had a pretty good source: Col Jesse Muniz.  Whenever I had a question about his qualifications, I asked him.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Grumpy

a2capt

Commanded numerous squadrons?  :o

Seems that people also put faith in what the currently suspended National CC said, too.   ;)

Just like the aforementioned suspended individual, there are simply too many questioning ...

:-X

wingnut

I personally would like our next  CAWG Commander be a former military officer who has been successful at managing military and civilian assets. Is easy to get along with, instills professionalism can work in the old world and the new high tech world, is available to be equal distance between North and South and has a fast plane.

a2capt

I agree with all those traits, and would even be willing to forego the second to last if thats what it takes.

Might I add, too, has open and clear communications channels, and is aware of what is going on around the Wing, in tune with the beat of the various CAP missions at large, and like Col. Myrick wouldn't, that they too, will not stand for the anti-teamwork, regulations bashing and farcical regulation interpretations and  actions of some.

..and I see another one has followed down the path of Former Cronies now Dismissed. ;)

PHall

Quote from: wingnut on September 30, 2007, 01:50:37 AM
I personally would like our next  CAWG Commander be a former military officer who has been successful at managing military and civilian assets. Is easy to get along with, instills professionalism can work in the old world and the new high tech world, is available to be equal distance between North and South and has a fast plane.

I can think of a couple of people that meet those requirements. And another one who already has been the CAWG/CC.
But being a former military officer is not a guarantee of success as a CAP Wing Commander.
Very few military officers have had to deal with the politics that seems to exist in CAP.
And politics at Wing Headquarters is not just a California Wing thing either.