Main Menu

CAWG CC 'Departing' ?

Started by a2capt, September 11, 2007, 06:54:11 PM

Dragoon

Don't know if voting would help.  Electing the most popular doesn't mean your voting in the guy who can best work with the Governer......

jimmydeanno

Yep, I don't believe that elections would solve any issues in CAP - in fact, IMO, they would case more problems.  You think the flying clubs are bad now, imagine people voting in commanders because he's a "swell guy" or no one wants to hurt his feelings.  Competence should be the number factor, not how well someone can put together a campaign website or how many phonecalls they can make, but that they can get the job done right, the first time.

Being able to work with the Governor is key as is working with other politicians.  But it doesn't require you to be a "politician."  Your decisions would be based on the needs of the organization rather than which decisions would get you (re)elected.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Chappie

Taken from another forum (dated 9/13):   

An email just came through from Col Myrick about some of the things going on. If anybody cares I can post the text of the entire thing, but it's not that interesting. Col Myrick is not trying to be the CAWG King. The process of selecting one will probably take six weeks, an announcement about it will come out next week. And I found this line funny. "FYI: LTC Jesus Muniz has transferred to COWG."

I also received the same e-mail and can confirm its veracity.   I, too, find it very interesting that Lt. Col. Muniz returned to COWG where his membership was prior to his appointment as CAWG CC by the "major general who shall remain nameless".
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Cecil DP

I find it more interesting that he reverted to LTC, rather than retaining his Colonelcy.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

TankerT

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 17, 2007, 12:03:49 AM
I find it more interesting that he reverted to LTC, rather than retaining his Colonelcy.

You need to be a Wing CC for a year before your grade can be retained.  After a year, the grade can be retained.  Colonel is a temporary grade, until the "end" of a Wing CC gig.  And, if you don't make it past the year probation period, you get reverted to your previous grade.  (Although, once you are past a year, they often make the grade permanent when you leave.)

Every time we have a Wing change of command, they read orders that state the outgoing Wing CC is being granted the permanent grade of Colonel.  (And, when they read the incoming CC's orders, they state that he/she is being promoted to the temporary grade of Colonel.)

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Eagle400

I find it more interesting that you use the abbreviation LTC, rather than Lt Col.

See: CAP Has Official Grade Abbreviations

MIKE

Smitty, leave the dead horse beating to the proffessionals... Mmkay.
Mike Johnston

Eagle400

Quote from: MIKE on September 17, 2007, 01:50:46 AM
Smitty, leave the dead horse beating to the proffessionals... Mmkay.

Show me it's a dead horse, and I'll stop beating it.  Deal?

I can't think of any thread where the topic of grade abbreviations has been beaten into the ground. 

Eagle400

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 14, 2007, 02:27:13 PM
Yep, I don't believe that elections would solve any issues in CAP - in fact, IMO, they would case more problems.  You think the flying clubs are bad now, imagine people voting in commanders because he's a "swell guy" or no one wants to hurt his feelings.

Well, considering that's the criteria commanders use now for appointing officers, what makes you think things would be any worse by having officers elected? 

Keep in mind, I'm talking about elections that have criteria as to what makes an officer eligible for election or not.  There would be no way to elect officers based on popularity or personal issues.    

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 14, 2007, 02:27:13 PMCompetence should be the number factor, not how well someone can put together a campaign website or how many phonecalls they can make, but that they can get the job done right, the first time.

I agree.  Unfortunately, there's too much 'Good Ole Boy' networking going on in CAP to ensure that this is the case for all (or even most) levels of command. 

lordmonar

Quote from: ♠ on September 17, 2007, 02:12:17 AM
Keep in mind, I'm talking about elections that have criteria as to what makes an officer eligible for election or not.  There would be no way to elect officers based on popularity or personal issues.

Then why have elections at all?       Anytime you appeal to the masses for justification then you are infact making the postion based on popularity and/or personal/political issues.

If we removed all normal politics from the process then the only factor we have to deal with is the GOB network.

That is easilly fixed by becoming a member of the GOB.

Do you think that elections would solve it?  If you are an outsider and completely qualified for the position.....why would the local GOBs pick you over their buddy?

Electing our leaders is NOT the answer to fixing the GOB proglem of CAP.

Standarsiation, training and upper headquarters over sight are what is needed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cecil DP

Quote from: ♠ on September 17, 2007, 01:44:48 AM

I find it more interesting that you use the abbreviation LTC, rather than Lt Col.

See: CAP Has Official Grade Abbreviations

I used LTC because that's how the original poster used it in his. Isn't it interesting that after 60 years since the DOD was established the military still has 3 different ways to say the same title depending on what color your uniform is. As long as everyone knows we were discussing a Lieutenant Colonel, I think that your remarks were indeed beating a dead horse.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

ColonelJack

Quote from: TankerT on September 17, 2007, 12:14:27 AM

You need to be a Wing CC for a year before your grade can be retained.  After a year, the grade can be retained.  Colonel is a temporary grade, until the "end" of a Wing CC gig.  And, if you don't make it past the year probation period, you get reverted to your previous grade.  (Although, once you are past a year, they often make the grade permanent when you leave.)

I'm dying to ask how a certain former FLWG and SER CC ... who apparently didn't make a full year in either slot ... retains his eagles, but ...

(John Wayne)

I'm not gonna do it ... I'm not ...

The hell I'm not.

(/John Wayne)

Ten bonus points to anyone who can name the movie that quote came from.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

BillB

A Region Commander has the authority to make permanant a promotion to Colonel based on performance during the year if lacking only a couple of months of the year.  The National CC has to approve the promotion if less than a year on the recommendation of the Region CC. This was done for the Florida Wing Commander, prior to his becoming Region Commander. At the time neither the Wing Commander or the Region Commander knew the Wing CC would be appointed Region CC several months later.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

pixelwonk

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 18, 2007, 08:43:07 PM
(John Wayne)
The hell I'm not.
(/John Wayne)

Jack
That's too easy. Somebody needs to punch you in the nose, Bagley.

Skyray

Quote from: BillB on September 18, 2007, 08:54:13 PM
A Region Commander has the authority to make permanant a promotion to Colonel based on performance during the year if lacking only a couple of months of the year.  The National CC has to approve the promotion if less than a year on the recommendation of the Region CC. This was done for the Florida Wing Commander, prior to his becoming Region Commander. At the time neither the Wing Commander or the Region Commander knew the Wing CC would be appointed Region CC several months later.

You guys are baiting me so Delaney can poke fun, right?  Is four months a couple of months short of a year?  And Region Command came a couple of years after he was granted the right to keep his eagles.  No, Victoria, he got to keep them because he whines really well.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Cecil DP

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 18, 2007, 08:43:07 PM
Quote from: TankerT on September 17, 2007, 12:14:27 AM

I'm dying to ask how a certain former FLWG and SER CC ... who apparently didn't make a full year in either slot ... retains his eagles, but ...

(John Wayne)

The hell I'm not.

(/John Wayne)

Jack

McClintock, (John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Jerry Van Dyke)
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Cecil DP

You guys are baiting me so Delaney can poke fun, right?  Is four months a couple of months short of a year?  And Region Command came a couple of years after he was granted the right to keep his eagles.  No, Victoria, he got to keep them because he whines really well.

Maybe because he was a prodigy of the Comander who cannot be named.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

calguy

Quote from: a2capt on September 12, 2007, 01:36:19 AM
Now even more interesting, not playing well with others? Gee, there's some pretty high profile ES folks that fit that bill, too, that Col. Nelson allowed them to prosper, and while they did, the responders lagged, found other parts of the program that were .. more interesting, and thats still happening.

New Horizons, at the CA Wing Conference in two weeks, for sure. This should be exciting. Maybe we can finally move on.
The problem is not with the wing CC or his staff but with the many members that want and also demand to get first dibs on SAR missions.  CAWG members complained that the Wing CC Col Munez would not allow member owned aircraft on the mission.  That WAS NOT true!  Look at the stats, CAWG did use member owned aircraft.
Our members  came out of the woodwork for a mission in the middle of nowhere.  Why?  Because it was Steve Fossett.  Had it been a nobody, nobody would have shown up.  Little known fact is that a CAP member went missing out of the Los Angeles in his own aircraft.  CAWG couldn't find one of the dozen wannabe ICs to take the mission so local CAP members located him w/o CAP support as citizens.  They knew nobody from CAWG would go out and look for a nobdoy.  These guys are the same few that support most of CAWGs missions.  Our problem really belongs to our members that want the fame but will not lift a finger to be part of the solutuon.  Col. Munez had an uphill battle because he would not accept our member's laziness, he demanded accountability.  What a concept.  Look at the stats on the Fosset search, same player until the news trucks came than the "heros" showed up!  Funny, I haven't seen much from those at and running the missions, only those that want to cherry pick!  Stay home, your not helping out.

ZigZag911

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 18, 2007, 11:10:56 PM
Maybe because he was a prodigy of the Comander who cannot be named.

VOLDEMORT!!!

There, I said it!

Oh, sorry, that was another film set! Didn't mean to crash this re-make of "Totally Non-Strategic Air Command"!

ZigZag911

BTW, it was my impression that CAP (National) discouraged the use of member-owned aircraft on missions, principally because of equipment and liability concerns (i.e., if you use private AC that are less well equipped for search than CAP AC, could be an issue in a lawsuit, not to mention PR nightmare).

So what's the griping about in CA WG?