101 card...???

Started by EverClueless, August 28, 2009, 08:09:10 PM

EverClueless

So I am going to my first SAREX on saturday, and i was told i needed to get my 101 card before i could go.  so wednesday and thurday i took all the tests i needed to take (GES 116, 117:parts 1-3, FEMA IS-100, and apparently ORM).   after taking all the other tests the last one was the IS-100.  I took this one, which, for me, took much longer than the other tests, and when i finished it said it would send me an email with my certificate. 

well, its friday, and i havent gotten one yet, and i need it to participate in the SAREX, which i really want to do.

what do i do?  am i just a technology impaired idiot?

I dont even think i know how to print my 101 card anyways.  I went to eservices-->My Operations Qualifications/National Reports-->Emergency Services where it says 101 card.  Is this the right place?

Also, when/if i do get my certificate, how would i register it so my 101 card acknowledges i completed ths IS-100?

PS: I say we forget Emergency Services, Aerospace, etc. and dump all our money and efforts into making the CAP online stuff moderately comprehensible.
Why is the CAP Websites so confusing!!!?! :'(  >:(

Eclipse

Quote from: EverClueless on August 28, 2009, 08:09:10 PM
So I am going to my first SAREX on saturday, and i was told i needed to get my 101 card before
PS: I say we forget Emergency Services, Aerospace, etc. and dump all our money and efforts into making the CAP online stuff moderately comprehensible.
Why is the CAP Websites so confusing!!!?! :

What you should be doing is calling or emailing your unit CC or ESO and asking these same questions.
One of them is going to have to approve your card anyway.

Are you in a WMU or eServices state?

"That Others May Zoom"

EverClueless

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2009, 08:35:23 PMWhat you should be doing is calling or emailing your unit CC or ESO and asking these same questions.
One of them is going to have to approve your card anyway.

Are you in a WMU or eServices state?

I am in an eServices state.

And my ESO told me to email my squadron commander, which i did. im just worried he may not get it in time

But they have to approve stuff? sorry im brand new to the ES stuff.  what has to get done for me to get my 101 card?

Short Field

To particpate in ES (SAR, SAREX, etc), you only need to be GES qualified.  That does not mean you are qualifed to actually train in another ops qualification, but you can show up and assist under supervision.

GES only requires completion of CAPT 116 and either Achievement 1 (Curry) or Level 1.  It does not require your Commander's approval.  CAPT 116 updates your record automatically.

Go to eservices-->My Operations Qualifications/National Reports-->Emergency Services where it says 101 card.  Click on "Click here to obtain your 101 Card" and print out the card.  You should be good to go.

FYI - the new CAPR 60-3 makes the SQTR that shows up in eServices Operations Qualification the "source" for qualifing in a ops qual.  The various task guides are identified now as supporting material i.e. they provide the details and evaluation requirements for the task identified in the Ops Quals SQTR.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

IceNine

Quote from: EverClueless on August 28, 2009, 08:47:28 PM
And my ESO told me to email my squadron commander, which i did. im just worried he may not get it in time

There is this new technology invented in 1877 that allows you to dial numbers and talk to people thousands of miles away.  Why don't you try that out.

Waiting until the Wed and Thursday before an activity is a great way to ensure that you are not eligible to attend because the hoops were just too high.

And those in my units know that waiting until the last minute means that you only get approval if it is convenient for me to get to the computer to do the button click.   YMMV

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

EverClueless

Quote from: IceNine on August 28, 2009, 11:48:27 PM

There is this new technology invented in 1877 that allows you to dial numbers and talk to people thousands of miles away.  Why don't you try that out.

Waiting until the Wed and Thursday before an activity is a great way to ensure that you are not eligible to attend because the hoops were just too high.

And those in my units know that waiting until the last minute means that you only get approval if it is convenient for me to get to the computer to do the button click.   YMMV

alright commander snark, my meeting was on tuesday, and that was when i found out that there even was going to be a SAREX.
and i was specifically told to email him and not call.

Cadet Princess

I was told to get my 101 card after I did the tests. But I was still a basic and couldn't find the 101 card thing on eSevices. So I waited untill I promoted and eServices still says I haven't completed my Curry achievement.
C/CMSgt Mandalie

Color Guard Commander
Alpha Flight Commander

JC004

Quote from: EverClueless on August 28, 2009, 08:09:10 PM
Why is the CAP Websites so confusing!!!?! :'(  >:(

Simply, CAP lacks a comprehensive web strategy and continues to propagate new domains and sites which become less and less comprehensible with its lack of strategy and an outdated CAPR 110-1 that NHQ does not even understand and does not address concerns of the web today like social media. Either that, or perhaps the strategy is to make everything different so there is a totally different place to use each of the dozens of logo and brand identity variations.

EMT-83

Cadet achievements, such as the Curry, are submitted by a designated person at the squadron, often the Deputy Commander for Cadets. You cannot enter your own. If your achievements do not appear in eServices in a reasonable time period, address it through your chain of command. Keep in mind that your squadron is run by volunteers, and it may take them a while to be posted, especially if a big group of cadets all promote on the same night!

You should receive your FEMA certificate via email within two business days of taking the test. However, I am aware of several incidents where test results were completely lost and the tests needed to be taken again. If you don't receive a response within a week, you should follow up.

In regards to the original post, the CAP websites can be difficult to navigate at first. That's where you grab an experienced cadet (hopefully you have been assigned a mentor) and ask for assistance. While far from perfect, they're usable once you get some guidance.

Camas

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 29, 2009, 01:00:48 AM
Cadet achievements, such as the Curry, are submitted by a designated person at the squadron, often the Deputy Commander for Cadets. You cannot enter your own.
Cadet achievements are normally entered into the "Cadet Promotions" application in e-services but for the Curry you can do this yourself:
1.  Go into e-services and into the "My Operations Qualifications/National Reports" link.  You find this under CAP Utilities which is the left side list of menu items.
2.  Go to the "cadet" module which is located with six other modules across the top of the page.
3.  Enter the date for each of the four Curry achievements as you complete them.  Then, hit "update".  The date will now appear in yellow.
4.  Your commander can now validate and approve each and approve the Curry for you.  Each date as it is validated will now appear in green.
5.  Your commander should receive notification of a pending approval waiting on his or her e-services homepage. It wouldn't hurt for you to mention this to your unit commander.

IceNine

Quote from: EverClueless on August 28, 2009, 11:53:14 PM
Quote from: IceNine on August 28, 2009, 11:48:27 PM

and i was specifically told to email him and not call.

How far did that get you?

It's hard to believe that you honestly think this is the best course to resolve your issue. You are not the first one and won't be the last to hear this same speech.

Good luck with your quest, I hope it works out but in the end it is what you make it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

majdomke

Quote from: Camas on August 29, 2009, 01:59:42 AM
Cadet achievements are normally entered into the "Cadet Promotions" application in e-services but for the Curry you can do this yourself:
1.  Go into e-services and into the "My Operations Qualifications/National Reports" link.  You find this under CAP Utilities which is the left side list of menu items.
2.  Go to the "cadet" module which is located with six other modules across the top of the page.
3.  Enter the date for each of the four Curry achievements as you complete them.  Then, hit "update".  The date will now appear in yellow.
4.  Your commander can now validate and approve each and approve the Curry for you.  Each date as it is validated will now appear in green.
5.  Your commander should receive notification of a pending approval waiting on his or her e-services homepage. It wouldn't hurt for you to mention this to your unit commander.
I had one of my cadets try this... don't!! His level one was already entered into Cadet Promotions back in May when he was promoted. Now, for some odd reason, he was able to attempt a promotion again. The led to much confusion as to where the request came from and why. Took us days to figure out the cadet did it. Ended up just denying the requests since it would screw up the records. Who came up with that crazy idea of cadets entering their own data for their first promotion anyhow?

Short Field

Everclueless - have you printed out your 101 card yet?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Airrace

The cadet program during your first month should have an class on the CAP national website. They should demostrate all the information avaliable and how to obtain it. Considering the fact cadet exams will be taken on the website it could be a useful class to start teaching asap to everyone.

Eclipse

Quote from: Airrace on August 30, 2009, 02:15:23 PM
The cadet program during your first month should have an class on the CAP national website.

That's the unit and cadet commander's job (among others in the squadron).  CAP is not a correspondence school.

"That Others May Zoom"

Airrace

Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2009, 02:54:36 PM
Quote from: Airrace on August 30, 2009, 02:15:23 PM
The cadet program during your first month should have an class on the CAP national website.

That's the unit and cadet commander's job (among others in the squadron).  CAP is not a correspondence school.

Yes I was talking about the leaders need to have a class early on to educate the new cadets!