Main Menu

Uniform Tips

Started by JC004, May 12, 2015, 08:36:57 AM

Chappie

Phil....don't be such a Scrooge.  ;)   Can't you see that the poster is a newbie and is excited about Vanguard's Christmas Discount????  Oh the joy of the making a Vanguard purchase and the surprise you get when you open the package  ::)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

PHall

Quote from: Chappie on December 18, 2015, 05:34:00 PM
Phil....don't be such a Scrooge.  ;)   Can't you see that the poster is a newbie and is excited about Vanguard's Christmas Discount????  Oh the joy of the making a Vanguard purchase and the surprise you get when you open the package  ::)

If you get the package... ;)

Protohuman

Phil..Sorry I upset you.  I did not know that " all caps" meant anything. The computer just happened to be set with caps locked on.  I did not even notice that until I cut and pasted the URL for the discount.  With the high cost of Vanguard and their supply lock on many CAP items I was just trying to pass on a little discount.  Some families have several CAP members and Vanguard items and shipping seam quite expensive compared to other sources. Unfortunately there are several uniform items we can only order from Vanguard. Merry Christmas.

William K. Bolan

So on my BDU, am I required to have the American flag on the side or not? I am hearing no from some, and yes from others

Garibaldi

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 11, 2016, 01:43:50 PM
So on my BDU, am I required to have the American flag on the side or not? I am hearing no from some, and yes from others

The mandatory non-wear date is next year, to have it off the uniform. Some units are not making new members put it on, but not making current members take it off until 2017. I'd ask your commander.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Chappie

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 11, 2016, 02:06:16 PM
Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 11, 2016, 01:43:50 PM

The mandatory non-wear date is next year, to have it off the uniform. Some units are not making new members put it on, but not making current members take it off until 2017. I'd ask your commander.

^^Good advise regarding to see how the local unit is handling this.   On a personal note, the flag is no longer on my BDUs and hasn't been since the current uniform manual was released.   And no...this is not an open invite to regurgitate that whole flag on/off debate.

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Jester

Problem:  I've always had a hard time with shirt stays remaining connected on the shirttail. After recently joining CAP a few years removed from AD I encountered this again.

My initial idea was to have buttonholes sewn into the shirttail so the shirt stay would have something good to hold onto. This may still work but I don't have the skill or equipment to do it and my local alterations doesn't either.

Solution:  what I can do, however, is sew on a button. I saw this on a cop forum and smacked my forehead that I hadn't thought of it before.

I went to Walmart, got a pack of assorted buttons and needles for $1 each. Then I got some heavy duty upholstery thread for a similar amount.  I picked 4 buttons that would fit through the metal part of the connector but would also securely hold it.

Then I sewed each button on using the directions here: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/06/28/sewing-on-a-button/

This allows a shank to account for the spacing needed to hang the metal loop on the button.

Time will tell how this works long term, but I dig it thus far.

lordmonar

Try maybe going to locals Jo Anns or other local sewing/fabric store.

"Hey I need two button holes on my shirt.  I don't want to spend $200+ on a sewing machine. Can you help?"

They may be able to do it for you...or suggest someone who does home tailoring/sewing/seam-stressing that can do it for you cheap.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Jester

It would be lower profile but I wonder how much the pull of the shirt stay will cause the inside of a button hole to tear.

I have like 4 other shirts that still have stripes on them that I'll take a swing at having buttonholed for later, so we shall see.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

I don't know....I've never had the problem of my shirt stays coming off.

My first guess would be that you are pulling too tight.  They are not there to really keep the shirts super tight.

You might also want to try using more of them.   Spread the load around.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Jester

No clue. At one time I wore 6 total but as I've become less hooah with age I've mellowed to just 4.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Jester on March 21, 2016, 10:37:06 PM
No clue. At one time I wore 6 total but as I've become less hooah with age I've mellowed to just 4.

Yea, went from 8, to 6, to 4 now. Does the gut count as #5?

Shieldel

I myself as a cadet, don't worry about shirt stays as normally when on Nellis for blues night meetings I'm in class a's with my service coat anyways. When at an event or when it's determined officers do not wear their coat at NCS Meetings, I wear a ShirtLock. I swear by the thing and it has made life so much easier. I don't wear shirt stays. I've seen far too many "incidents" with my male LVMPD Police Explorers when wearing shirt stays. lol.
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shieldel

Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

Майор Хаткевич

AlphaSigOU

Shirt garter emasculation... you only hafta experience it once. Once. :)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

spatch

I am a returning member after a 5 year hiatus and am preparing my mess dress for our Wing Conference.  In doing so, I noticed that my metal CAP seal has become tarnished.  Any tips on how to safely clean it? (I realize now that I should've kept it in a ziplock bag.  Didn't think of it or care when I left CAP years ago, so please don't even bring that up.  :-X)

Eclipse

It's probably not tarnished, the epoxy coating has probably yellowed, depends on the vintage.

Best bet is to just get a new one.

"That Others May Zoom"