Main Menu

Considering RSC

Started by UWONGO2, January 08, 2019, 12:03:32 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: Slim on January 09, 2019, 08:01:02 AM
Quote from: NIN on January 09, 2019, 01:43:12 AM
I have slept in Stonewall's basement more than once. Can confirm reville and a full standby inspection, with junk on the bunk.

Did he make you square away your personal area and shave with a rusty Bic too?

Quote from: Eclipse on January 09, 2019, 01:29:26 AM
When did you go to the circus?
Quote from: Stonewall on January 08, 2019, 10:47:30 PM
Too bad you didn't wait a year, couldbhave crashed in my basement. I'm <10 min from WSU dorms and 20-ish min from the USO building.

Had to go in 2017, needed to punch that last ticket to make Lt Col before the grandfather period expired.

I wasn't kidding about the circus.  GLR used to require attendance.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on January 09, 2019, 02:58:32 PM
Quote from: Slim on January 09, 2019, 08:01:02 AM
Quote from: NIN on January 09, 2019, 01:43:12 AM
I have slept in Stonewall's basement more than once. Can confirm reville and a full standby inspection, with junk on the bunk.

Did he make you square away your personal area and shave with a rusty Bic too?

Quote from: Eclipse on January 09, 2019, 01:29:26 AM
When did you go to the circus?
Quote from: Stonewall on January 08, 2019, 10:47:30 PM
Too bad you didn't wait a year, couldbhave crashed in my basement. I'm <10 min from WSU dorms and 20-ish min from the USO building.

Had to go in 2017, needed to punch that last ticket to make Lt Col before the grandfather period expired.

I wasn't kidding about the circus.  GLR used to require attendance.

Region CC had the popcorn and cotton candy concessions, did he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

In abstract ways, that is not far from the truth.

At the time (2009) the RSC was held at Grissom, near Peru, IN which apparently is the "Circus Capitol of the World",
because circus shows inexplicable wintered there
back in the day.

They have an amateur circus that is touted as being run completely by kids under 18.
https://www.perucircus.com/

The RSC staff were very enamored of this place, and it was all they could talk about.
Attendance was mandatory as one of the "tours". I, and others, were sure it had to be that
we would be getting a backstage tour and to be shown how amazing adolescents could
be in managing such a complex business.

That made at least some sense as a Circus has a lot of moving pieces and could be compared to
a large cadet activity like an encampment, etc.

Um.  No.

We just went to the circus.

And not in any uniform (UOD was expressly civilian), and not even as a coherent group.
Just members who happened to drive together.

The result was random groups of middle-aged men going to a children's circus, without
families or kids of their own.

Yep.

Edit:  A re-read of this thread: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=8393.0 reminded me
that Stonewall and I share a distinction, as well as the experience...

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt_Redfox30

Quote from: Eclipse on January 09, 2019, 03:53:37 PM

At the time (2009) the RSC was held at Grissom, near Peru, IN which apparently is the "Circus Capitol of the World",
back in the day.

They have an amateur circus that is touted as being run completely by kids under 18.
https://www.perucircus.com/

The RSC staff were very enamored of this place, and it was all they could talk about.
Attendance was mandatory as one of the "tours". I, and others, were sure it had to be that
we would be getting a backstage tour and to be shown how amazing adolescents could
be in managing such a complex business.

That made at least some sense as a Circus has a lot of moving pieces and could be compared to
a large cadet activity like an encampment, etc.

Um.  No.

We just went to the circus.

And not in any uniform (UOD was expressly civilian), and not even as a coherent group.
Just members who happened to drive together.

The result was random groups of middle-aged men going to a children's circus, without
families or kids of their own.

Yep.

Edit:  A re-read of this thread: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=8393.0 reminded me

Eclipse yes that entire thing was a cluster the year you and I went! 

Not to mention to rest of the week, glad it was revised as it needed some major overhauls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

West MI-CAP-Ret

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 08, 2019, 12:43:03 AM
Quote from: jeders on January 08, 2019, 12:37:47 AM
Honestly, I think that by using the wear of the optional polo uniform instead of the required minimum basic uniform as a measure of culture, you are doing yourself a massive disfavor. SWR RSC was (and still is) a professional learning environment and is one of the best things I've done in CAP. If anything, I would think that you would want to avoid the schools that allow performance at a level below the minimum, but that's me.

In what way does wearing the polo destroy the learning environment? It's an official CAP working uniform.

Good and honest question.
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Stonewall

Ha. I remember.  Hard to believe I went to RSC more than 15 years ago. I remember being the youngest person there by 10 years (I was 31) and getting a lot out of it, but not really enjoying it.  Cool part was, I stopped by NESA's graduation afterward and saw a whole bunch of friends.
Serving since 1987.

Slim

back in the day.

Ok, now I understand the reference.

Definitely much happier that mine was at Wright-Patt.  Only tour we did was the museum, and that was allotted a whole four hours on Wednesday morning, with the option of a guided tour or on your own.  I thought that was a bit of a letdown, as the last time I hit the AF museum, it took the better part of two days to see everything.  But it actually wasn't bad, I was able to see what I wanted (everything but the pre-WWII stuff in hangar 1) with time to spare.

Slim

UWONGO2

Quote from: ßτε on January 08, 2019, 02:08:21 AM
Note that PCRSC is not at Nellis/LV this year:

https://pcr.cap.gov/region-staff-college/

Bummer! That was the leader in the clubhouse for me. Does anyone know if it's under new management or just simply needed to move to a new location?

Eclipse

Oh, Man.  It's not in Vegas anymore?

The king is dead, long live the king.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: UWONGO2 on January 10, 2019, 01:17:33 AM

Bummer! That was the leader in the clubhouse for me. Does anyone know if it's under new management or just simply needed to move to a new location?

If they are unable to secure lodging and or classroom space because of military requirements, they have to have an alternate.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 12, 2019, 06:47:19 PM
Quote from: UWONGO2 on January 10, 2019, 01:17:33 AM

If they are unable to secure lodging and or classroom space because of military requirements, they have to have an alternate.

Actually, they were lucky to be there in the first place. Billeting at Nellis is always pretty tight. During stuff like a Red Flag exercise it's nonexistent.

SARDOC

Quote from: PHall on January 12, 2019, 07:23:40 PM
Actually, they were lucky to be there in the first place. Billeting at Nellis is always pretty tight. During stuff like a Red Flag exercise it's nonexistent.

I've been there a few times for Green Flag and we never had billeting on base.  We were lodged a few blocks from the Vegas strip, I volunteered to go on these dets everytime it came up.

GaryVC

I went to Pacific Region Leadership School in 2018 and it was held in Palace Station on Sahara near the strip (but on the other side of I-15). I go to Nellis fairly often since I am retired from there and live in Las Vegas. We had tours of two places on base.

The Washington Wing/CC is now responsible for the course and they are holding it in that state this year. I wanted to be sure to go while it was still in Las Vegas. Just made it.

PHall

Joint Base Lewis-Mc Chord isn't a bad place. The billeting on base is pretty good and there are several off base hotels that are pretty good.
Air fares into SeaTac airport are usually pretty good. It's Alaska Airline's main hub.