Help: Orientation Flights

Started by Cadet Bonnett, June 20, 2005, 10:37:18 PM

Cadet Bonnett

how do you get glider flights and does it cost several dollors like powered
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 20, 2005, 10:37:18 PM
how do you get glider flights and does it cost several dollors like powered

Are you talking about Orientation Flights?

Orientation Flights don't cost several dollars, whether they be in a powered aircraft or glider.  In order to get a glider orientation flight, you'll have to have the fortune of being in an area with glider operations already established.  Not everywhere has this fortune.

However, if you are really interested in glider flying, you can go to the National Flight Academy Glider Track in the summer, where you'll spend about a week and a half of flying gliders and learning how to fly them.  It's too late to apply for this summer, but you can get ready for next summer and read up on Flight Academy.  Read up about National Flight Academy Glider here.

As for Glider Orientation Flights at your home unit, that is a question best suited for your home unit.  We cannot answer that here.  Ask up your Chain of Command to whomever schedules your Flight Operations about the possibility of glider flights.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

We have glider and orientaion flights. But can a cadet truly recieve a piolit license.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

whatevah

you can get your pilots license, but not through the orientation flights.  if you have a logbook, you are not allowed to log that flight time.

however, if you go to the National Flight Academy, you have a good chance of solo'ing there.

how old are you, there are some minimum ages for flying gliders and powered planes.
when did you join the CAP?
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 20, 2005, 10:59:01 PM
We have glider and orientaion flights. But can a cadet truly recieve a piolit license.

Yes.  Cadets can eventually earn his or her pilot's license, though it is a long and sometimes difficult process.  As Lt. Horn said, you cannot earn it through your Orientation Flights, but you can do it with the help of CAP.  You can do it if you are committed and are blessed with similarly committed Senior Members.

Many more cadets achieve "solo" status rather than make it all the way to the private pilot's license.  A solo is where you earn the ability to fly the aircraft (whether it be a glider or a powered aircraft) by yourself with nobody else in the plane.  I've done it, many other people have done it, and you can usually do it by going to the Flight Academies that CAP offers.  The Flight Academy is a great start towards getting your license because it gives you around 10+ hours of in-flight time, all the basic ground schooling you'll need to get started, plus plenty of motivation and guidance.

As for the Orientation flights, if you're sure your area has them, then you'll want to ask up your Chain of Command how to get one.  First, start by asking your Flight Sergeant.  If they don't know, they'll ask the Flight Commander and so on until somebody finds you the right answer.

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: whatevah on June 20, 2005, 11:02:05 PM
you can get your pilots license, but not through the orientation flights. if you have a logbook, you are not allowed to log that flight time.

however, if you go to the National Flight Academy, you have a good chance of solo'ing there.

how old are you, there are some minimum ages for flying gliders and powered planes.
1st Lt Horn,
I am 13 and I joined CAP at the end of May Sir.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 21, 2005, 06:20:52 PM
Quote from: whatevah on June 20, 2005, 11:02:05 PM
you can get your pilots license, but not through the orientation flights. if you have a logbook, you are not allowed to log that flight time.

1st Lt Horn,
I am 13 and I joined CAP at the end of May Sir.

The minimum age to solo in a glider or hot air balloon is 14.  The minimum age to solo in a powered aircraft is 16. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

how exactly do gliders work. they don't have an engine.b
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 25, 2005, 03:13:06 PM

Check your Aerospace textbook.  ;)

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: Pylon on June 25, 2005, 05:28:13 PM
Quote from: Cheergirl on June 25, 2005, 03:13:06 PM

Check your Aerospace textbook.  ;)

that might be helpful. thanks
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Chris

Cheergirl, it's Chris, no glider flights are free of change and I hope that you aren't paying for "O Flights" because it says in a reg that you are not to pay for O Flights

Mod Edit: Watch the caps lock, buddy.  Also, I didn't add any punctuation to your post- maybe you would like to do that. 

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: CHRIS on June 30, 2005, 03:45:12 PM
Cheergirl, it's Chris, no glider flights are free of change and I hope that you aren't paying for "O Flights" because it says in a reg that you are not to pay for O Flights

Mod Edit: Watch the caps lock, buddy.  Also, I didn't add any punctuation to your post- maybe you would like to do that. 

Hey Chris, No i don't pay for o flights. I don't pay for gliders either. You don't have to. it has no fuel...
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

SarDragon

Don't forget the fuel used by the tow plane for the gliders!   :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: SarDragon on July 03, 2005, 07:26:24 AM
Don't forget the fuel used by the tow plane for the gliders!   :o
oh true
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing