af.mil commentary on social networking...

Started by Eclipse, August 01, 2009, 06:32:05 PM

Eclipse

Maj. Gen. Henry C. "Hank" Morrow, 1st Air Force commander, who incidentally takes a personal
interest in the Civil Air Patrol as our missions make up more of his status map each day than
the regular forces
, posted this interesting commentary on Social Networking.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123161206

We have an entire generation of cadets, and even some senior members, who grew up with
electronic communications and contact being a "given" - much like television and cellular telephones -
it may have evolved in their lifetimes, but its always been "there".

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

BillB

I am amazed in this age of electronic communication, the number of CAP units that do not have a web page. Or the web page being a year out of date. As mentioned, todays cadets have grown up emailing, texting and surfing facebook. Perhaps 20-1 needs to add a Cadet IT Officer since most cadets are knowledgable enough to produce one. Take a look at U-Tube, the number of videos produced by cadets for recruiting or just showing CAP activities and you can get an idea of what cadets are capable of as far as the internet is concerned. There are templets floating around that can produce a good Squadron web page. Easy enough so a caveman can do it (sorry Geico).
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Airrace

GREAT ARTICLE AND A EVEN BETTER IDEA!!!!!!

All squadrons should have an up to date website. Don't forget that in 2010 cadets can take tests on line. We should be making the data eaiser for them to get and use. I agree it doesn't take much skills to produce a quality website the most important part is to update it regularly or it's no use to anyone and people won't come back to your website.

arajca

Although today's cadets have grown up using the Internet, they may not know how to develop a webpage. Anyone can USE the internet, few can make it work, and fewer still can make it work well.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on August 01, 2009, 08:18:07 PM
Although today's cadets have grown up using the Internet, they may not know how to develop a webpage. Anyone can USE the internet, few can make it work, and fewer still can make it work well.

I agree.

For every C/1st Lt. Gates and C/TSgt Jobs, there are 10 who believe Twitter and Facebook are the internet.

Ever try and get them to take an online class and test?

But we digress.

This is about what our members do with the the tools they understand and the ramifications of making your life public.

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2009, 09:37:03 PM
Quote from: arajca on August 01, 2009, 08:18:07 PM

I agree.

For every C/1st Lt. Gates and C/TSgt Jobs, there are 10 who believe Twitter and Facebook are the internet.

Ever try and get them to take an online class and test?

But we digress.

This is about what our members do with the the tools they understand and the ramifications of making your life public.

I don't know if a C/a1c Lewis counts but I have a facebook, and a twitter, and have taken every test CAP will allow me too take.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Airrace on August 01, 2009, 07:53:00 PM
All squadrons should have an up to date website.

I was recently told that the squadron website I developed looked jumbled in various screen resolutions.  I aparrently had it formatted incorrectly, and had to re-do the entire site.  I was using the WYSWYG (What You See Is What You Get) portion of MS Frontpage, and even in that (which is visual designing, no HTML code, etc), I had a hell of a time doing it.

If we're going to make it so that all squadrons have websites, we need to follow the idea (which has been proposed here numerous times) that each squadron should have a simple informational "sub-page" off their wing's website. (Unless it's got someone who's able to design and maintain a professional website.)  This page would include things like contact information, meeting times and locations, basic staff info, etc.  If the wing IT staff wanted to go a bit farther, it'd be cool if they allowed squadrons to e-mail them with announcement updates, which they can have placed on their specific page.

Eclipse

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on August 01, 2009, 10:57:42 PM
I was recently told that the squadron website I developed looked jumbled in various screen resolutions.  I aparrently had it formatted incorrectly, and had to re-do the entire site.  I was using the WYSWYG (What You See Is What You Get) portion of MS Frontpage, and even in that (which is visual designing, no HTML code, etc), I had a hell of a time doing it.

Using Frontpage make Angels cry.

If your skillz are at the level of needing Frontpage, you're much better served with something like Blogger or Weebly.   Generally its the graphics and the content which make a web page "different" and/or compelling, neither of which comes from the development tools.

"That Others May Zoom"

Airrace

Try contacting a local high school or college they can usually find you a person to help design and maintain your website.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2009, 01:34:29 AM
If your skillz are at the level of needing Frontpage, you're much better served with something like Blogger or Weebly.

*Austin Powers voice*  Ouch, baby, very ouch.  *end Austin Powers voice*

I know it's one of the crappiest programs out there, but I already had it when starting the journey of making my squadron website (and I don't particularly care for the basic looks of most of those free web design sites).

I'm doing the best I can to clean up the code on the pages and such (there are plenty of sites dedicated to countering the poor effects of a FP-designed site).

Spike

QuoteWhen in doubt, backspace it out

So true!  Don't type mad, and always hold on to those letters or emails for a day or two before sending them if you wrote them in a "bad mood".

Airrace

Good Advice Spike. I always remind myself that anything printed or
e-mailed could show up on the front page of your local newspaper.

Spike

^ Ha....I got myslef suspended from CAPTALK for a bit because I did not follow my own advice.