What I carry -- I know this has been discussed but I need critcs

Started by maverik, January 03, 2009, 08:34:11 AM

maverik

Okay so here's a list of what I carry climate specific, if you want to list what you carry that's all good too so:

COLD WEATHER GEAR-24HR
5-10 Feet of Duct tape.
flint
lighter
chem lights
5 feet of flagging tape
Gloves with liner
Flashlight with red lense
Change of socks
Work Gloves
Toliet paper
Forms-101,SQTR,CAPID,first aid, interview forms etc.
Coat
Coat Liner
food-3-4 meals.
Multi Purpose tool
Whistle
Signal Mirror
cell phone
Paracord
water 2.5L
Suggestions?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COLD WEATHER 72-HR - my weak point
Entrenching tool
Toliet paper
5 meals
boot laces
paracord
tooth brush and paste
Eye protection
Water purify tablets
canteen cup and canteen
Mess kit
Snacks
personal hygeine items
Suggestions?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOT WEATHER-24 HR -I excel in
Change of socks
Work Gloves
Toliet paper
Forms-101,SQTR,CAPID,first aid, interview forms etc
5-10 Feet of Duct tape.
flint
lighter
chem lights
5 feet of flagging tape
food-3-4 meals.
Multi Purpose tool
Whistle
Signal Mirror
cell phone
Paracord
water 2.5L
Mini hammock
Suggestions?
HOT WEATHER 72-HR

Entrenching tool
Toliet paper
5 meals
boot laces
paracord
tooth brush and paste
Eye protection
Water purify tablets
canteen cup and canteen
Mess kit
Snacks
personal hygeine items
Suggestions?

KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

arajca

A couple quick points:
1. carry more flagging tape. Check your local Walmart in the hunting section. I picked up three 100' rolls for $0.50 each. 5 feet isn't going to last.
2. Add Wet Wipes (or something similar) to you 24 hr kit.
3. Add water purifying capability to your 24 hour kit as well. You may not need it personally, but if you find someone, they may need it.
4. I presume you're also using the lists provided in the GTM training manual/Task list.
5. Consider adding AA batteries, in case you're assigned an ISR. It should have batteries, but who knows how long they've been in there and used.
6. Orange vest?

Overall, you have a good collection.

Stonewall

I was up late last night and I've got 2 young kids so I very well could have missed it, but I didn't see socks.  I was taught as a cadet to have at least one pair of socks in your buttpack (in ziplocs of course).  Not to mention in your 72 hour gear.

I found a list from an old squadron GTM handbook that we created in 1989 (still have the original handbook).  This was long before GTM task books and national standards.  These were the basic requirements and I can assure you that we adjusted our list for the season, conditions and mission.  I'll try to throw together a list that would be better suited for today's use.  Things like a GPS, strobe light, head lamp and HT radio come to mind.

ON PERSON:
Current CAP ID Card
Any ES documentation (first aid, CPR, 101(t), 101)
Notepad and 2 pens/pencils
1 Set BDUs IAW CAPM 39-1
Military Boots
BDU Cap

SEARCH LOAD:
Whistle
Matches in waterproof container
Compass
Flashlight with extra batteries
550 cord (50 ft)
Pocket knife or tool
Work gloves
2 quarts of water in canteens
Emergency rations – high energy
Individual first aid kit

Note:  Tactical gear should be waterproofed and dummy corded to the uniform or web gear.

EXISTENCE EQUIPMENT: Rucksack or camping style back pack
Poncho liner or blanket
Sleeping bag (check its temperature rating; 15 degrees should be the minimum standard)
Sleeping pad or ground sheet
Poncho shelter or tent
48 hours of food (meals)
2 quarts additional water
Cooking and eating utensils
Personal hygiene items (soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.)
Extra socks
Extra t-shirts
Thermal/Long underwear
Extra BDUs if you own them
Garbage bags

Note:  All equipment should be waterproofed in the rucksack.  Garbage bags make excellent waterproof bags.  You should be able to carry your equipment and also be prepared to carry team equipment as the mission dictates.

Your equipment must be self-contained in your rucksack.  Everything you bring must be able to be carried on your back.  When packing your ruck keep in mind that everything must be secured to prevent loss while trying to maintain a professional military appearance. 
Serving since 1987.

Pumbaa

Not sure what you define as cold weather, but you need good waterproof/ cold weather gloves.  I would also pack at least 5- 1 quart sized zip lock bags as well.  Perhaps a garbage bag or 2 (30 gallon) as well.

You need something to keep your head warm.  If not a full face wool pullover cap (Balacava type) you could get one of the thinner ones that cyclists use.  I have a black one that fits under my cover that works great.

IceNine

Cold Weather

Sleeping bag (the 3 layer systems work really well)
And equally as important Sleeping Pad, if you can't stop the cold from the ground you can't stay warm.

A watch (no a Cell phone doesn't count CADETS)

You can never go wrong with extra flashlights.  I carry an inova zipper light, a 4 color LED (20 bucks at radioshack), and a bright white tac light.  In my 72 I have another tac light, an a 2C Mag Light with the upgraded bulb.

Throw some of those instant heat hand and toe warmers in there.  I don't go searching with them in but when sitting around camp its a good way to keep everything moving.

Hand sanitizing wipes

Self Hygiene cloths (camping section at walmart)

I'm sure theres more but I'm late for work

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Stonewall

Food preparation

Pack food (meals) that do not require cooking.  In the winter everything is better if it is warm, but that should be considered a luxury if you're actually out on a mission.  Plus, 9x out of 10, you'll be near a place to purchase food so you don't have to use what you packed (even though sometimes it seems cool to have to eat an MRE on a real mission).

In 20+ years of being a ground team guy, and as a grunt in the Army, I have never ever used an actual mess kit.  I have solely used a canteen cup to heat up anything I brought.  Simply use your cup to boil water and place the pouch of food [from an MRE] in the cup as it heats.  Mess kits are bulky and take up space, not to mention added weight.  MREs, like it or not, are probably the best field type food you can have.  There are lots of commercial "field foods" out there that rock, I've used them and still have some, but nothing is as all inclusive as a case of MREs.

Have quick "energy snacks" readily available.  The British SAS were good at this, always having some bit of chocolate in a pocket to nibble on while moving long distances by foot.  I actually took the MRE packets of peanut butter and put them in my cargo pocket and would suck'em down during long movements.  I read in Men's Health magazine once that peanut butter will sustain you longer than any "energy bar".  It worked for me, it may work for you.

A stove!  Heck yeah, a stove.  I always carry a Primus auto-start portable stove that is ultra small and fires up my water very quick, like 2 minutes, for hot chocolate or water for heating my MREs.  Carried it in the Army too and made a lot of friends.

Extra Clothing

Socks are your best friend.  Not bragging or saying that others don't do it, but it became a trademark of my squadron in DCWG to ruck in and ruck out of the field.  We required all ground team members and trainees to be able to carry their 24 & 72 hour gear simultaneously for distances up to 6 miles.  At mile three, we would stop and do a sock swap.  At a minimum you should have a dry pair of socks in your 24 hour gear and maybe 2 pair in your 72 hour gear.  Underwear (if you wear them) and undershirts are good too.  Watch caps are good, especially with all the materials they're made of these days (poly pro, gore-tex, etc).

Lights

As a cadet it was the cool thing to have the Army issue angle-head flashlight that takes two D cell batteries.  Later, I learned that size and weight matters.  Before Surefire and LEDs came out, I used a AAA Pelican light for about 10 years.  Carried two of them and still was 1/4 of the size of the angle-head.  Later, I started carrying a head lamp (Petzel) after I saw a medic carry one in his medic bag.  Smart move if you ask me.

Today, I'll carry a nice headlamp (still a Petzel) and two smaller lights, all of which use the same batteries.  I don't think this is over kill as redundancy with some gear is essential.

Chem lights are good too.  And if you have the resources, make an SOP for colors (red = emergency, blue = all good).  Check them though, they expire.

Strobe lights are good and can be very useful when IDing your location at night with an A/C overhead.

Hygiene Gear

I always told cadets that their parents trust me to take care of their children no different than they do, and my mom would have given me the fifth degree if I went to bed without brushing my teeth.  Wasn't there some statistic from the Korean war about hygiene taking out a certain percentage of US soldiers?  In the Army, we were required to SHAVE, brush out teeth and clean ourselves regardless of the conditions.

Always carry soap and a small hand towel.  Dental hygiene is important too, so brush like you brush at home.  Baby wipes can help with the under carriage and  keep you from developing some "crotch rot", but nothing beats soap and water every few days.  Not that we're doing long range missions over several days, but "train like you search", right?  Does 39-1 go out the window when conducting ES missions?  If in a CAP uniform, are you still required to shave at the beginning of the duty day if you're in the field?  Like it or not, you should.  And while I didn't enforce this one, I did lead by example, especially on the 3 day exercises we conducted regularly.

Odds & Ends

100 MPH tape, sewing kit, ziplocs, matches, cotton balls w/vaseline, trash bags, and e-tool, gloves.  Just be smart.  All this stuff can add up in cost, weight and space.  No one in Florida should tell you how to pack for missions Oregon over the winter.  Sure, there are common sense decisions to be made, but there is no regulation that covers common sense other than life itself.

There are tons of things I failed to list and tons of things that people say they need to carry but I fail to see relevance in some cases.  120' of rappel rope for a CAP ground team is one of those things I was determined to carry as a cadet because the Marine Recon poster at the recruiting station had a dude carrying it, but now I understand there was no need.

Before I go on an FTX and as I pack for a mission, I think ahead and visualize myself on the mission.  "Do I really need a JetStream radio; vapor barrier boots, a 10 man tent?"  Probably not.  But I will need food, water, communications and basic elements of survival for the conditions in which I am operating.
Serving since 1987.

maverik

UPDATED LIST:

COLD WEATHER GEAR-24HR
5-10 Feet of Duct tape.
flint
lighter
chem lights
1 roll of flagging tape
Gloves with liner
Flashlight with red lense
Change of socks
Work Gloves
Toliet paper
Forms-101,SQTR,CAPID,first aid, interview forms etc.
Coat
Coat Liner
3 MREs
Multi Purpose tool
Whistle
Signal Mirror
cell phone
Paracord
water 2.5L
wet wipes
water purify tablets
batteries-common (i.e. AA)
stobre light
headlamp
(5) 1 quart ziplocks
watch
instant heat warmers
energy bas/ a bit of chocolate
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COLD WEATHER 72 HR
Entrenching tool
Toliet paper
4 MREs
boot laces
paracord
tooth brush and paste
Eye protection
Water purify tablets
canteen cup and canteen
Mess kit
Snacks
personal hygeine items
Self Hygeine cloths (wally world)
camping stove

HOT WEATHER 24 HR
Change of socks
Work Gloves
Toliet paper
Forms-101,SQTR,CAPID,first aid, interview forms etc
5-10 feet of Duct tape.
flint
lighter
chem lights
1 roll of flagging tape
2 MREs
Multi Purpose tool
Whistle
Signal Mirror
cell phone
Paracord
water 2.5L
Mini hammock
wet wipes
water pruify tablets
Batteries-AA
strobe light
headlamp
(5 )1 quart ziplocks
watch
energy bars/ a bit of chocolate

HOT WEATHER 72 HR
Entrenching tool
Toliet paper
4 MREs
boot laces
paracord
tooth brush and paste
Eye protection
Water purify tablets
canteen cup and canteen
Mess kit
Snacks
personal hygeine items
Self hygeine cloths (wally world)
camping stove
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Duke Dillio

Some things I always recommend:

Call Ranger Joe's or Brigade Quartermaster and get a set of 4-8 bungee cords.  I can never find the right ones at Wal-mart and $7-$10 isn't bad.  Also, get a couple plastic tent stakes.  Put these together with a military poncho or two and you have great material for a quick shelter.  I have also found that the bungee cords are generally more useful than the 550 cord.

I always carry two carabiners with me.  They aren't for rappeling but rather for making it easier to strap gear together, hang my pack away from animals in the field, etc.

The basic premise that I always go by is that I don't carry anything that is only good for one task or job.  I always look for different uses for everything I carry.  If it is only good for one thing, I find something else to carry that will take care of that one thing.

Just some thoughts that I had.

Stonewall

Quote from: Sqn72DO on January 04, 2009, 03:34:22 PM
Call Ranger Joe's or Brigade Quartermaster and get a set of 4-8 bungee cords.  I can never find the right ones at Wal-mart and $7-$10 isn't bad.  Also, get a couple plastic tent stakes.  Put these together with a military poncho or two and you have great material for a quick shelter.  I have also found that the bungee cords are generally more useful than the 550 cord.

Best advice I would have given had I thought about it when typing my earlier post.  Bungee cords are 10x better for setting up hooches.

Back in the day (a Wednesday, by the way), before there were national standards on what to carry, I only carried a mil-spec poncho and 550 cord for shelter.  And I'd only carry a fartsack during winter time.

My poncho hooch would generally look something like this:

And I used bungee cords and aluminum tent stakes to set up my poncho as my shelter.

You can get them at Brigade Quartermaster for $7.99

BTW, Brigade Quartermaster's website has changed from www.actiongear.com to www.brigadeqm.com.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

^^^  I think those are the big bungee cords.  I carry the smaller ones but you get the general idea.  I get the ones that are in the four pack.

As for the plastic tent stakes, I got some at REI for like 50 cents a piece.  They are bright yellow which is good for visibility.  Sometimes, you can find the surplus military ones.  They are more durable but they are also heavier.  I try to go light with everything I carry.  While I could carry a 60-70 lb ruck a couple years ago, it doesn't do my back any favors to carry that much weight anymore.  I think my gear is down to about 45 lbs now and I am aiming for the 35 lb go kit.

Senior

Dump the mess kit.  I have never used one, even when I was in the ARMY.
You have to think about cleaning it after you use it.  A dirty mess kit will make you sick, and then YOU become a liability to the search.  Not worth
the weight. 
Use paracord for bootlaces. 
Strip the MREs down to the main entree, Toilet paper and peanut butter.
Keep the main entree in the cardboard box.  It protects the pouch from
getting holes in it.  Holes in the pouch can give you food poisoning.
Use the cardboard for fire starter.  Put the main entree inside your BDU shirt (not under your t-shrit of course) to warm the entree.  Use the peanut butter as an energy boost while on the move.
M&Ms don't make a mess, also hard candy doesn't melt.

IceNine

We are not trying to survive for days on end.

IF this is for your ground team equipment there is ABSOLUTELY no need to plan for a survival situation.  Plan for being in the field looking for someone. 

The likely hood of you being separated from your team far outweighs the necessity to prepare for 7 days in Hostile territory.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pingree1492

Quote from: IceNine on January 06, 2009, 08:57:22 PM
We are not trying to survive for days on end.

IF this is for your ground team equipment there is ABSOLUTELY no need to plan for a survival situation.  Plan for being in the field looking for someone. ...

Yes, for your typical UDF, GT scenario, you won't all the survival equipment.  HOWEVER, you should be prepared for whatever situation and terrain/climate that you may be facing. 

What I carry here in Colorado and what you will be carrying in Indiana (?) are going to be two different things.  Even in the summer, getting hypothermia above timberline is a very real possibility.  Getting caught and trapped in a sudden winter storm and whiteout is also a very real possibility.  What I take with me in my pack on the plains and in the mountains are also slightly different.

Now, I've seen cadets ready to deploy for a search that had 40 pound packs.  Obviously, this is a little extreme!  Carry what you might possibly need... think about what you may need in various situations, and make sure you have (or can easily acquire in the field) what you will need.  Carry items that can be used for more than one purpose, but don't go overboard!

I would also highly recommend "field testing" your gear and adjusting as necessary.  If you're worried about getting through the night if you for whatever reason have to stay out away from your vehicle with your 24-hour pack, then go do it!  Then make adjustments and changes based on your experiences.  Typically, you'll find that you want to carry more than you actually need.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

maverik

That makes since, now I have been asked by some (not on this forum) why does your cold weather gear have more stuff then hot? The simple answer is me and 90 degree with 100% humidity Indiana summers get along better than -10 degree with a -15 degree wind chill winter. Although I have been known to wear short sleeves on a cold day to and airshow (I can overheat vary easily). So I think my last post with the gear list is my finalized version.. until someone gets on here and says well this this and this are good for yaddadaa and then I will add it haha.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT