Main Menu

Waterproof gloves

Started by Eclipse, September 15, 2008, 03:32:07 PM

Eclipse

I am an instructor for my state's motorcycle safety program.  (although its a paid situation, no one gets rich from it, and the
altruistic mentality of CAP is similar to that of the MRC, and a lot of my gear is cross-platform, so to speak).

As I stood in the rain for two days this weekend, absorbing the 7+ inches of water that the remains of Ike was dumping on the NE Midwest, every piece of my gear that is supposedly "waterproof" proved it wasn't.

2 pairs of Thorogood ES boots with Simpatex "waterproof" lining (soaked through).

1 Pair Neos Overshoes (worthless, actually held water in, making it worse on the boots)

1 Set Frogg Togs rain suit (which worked "ok", but the zippers and pockets leaked)

1 First Gear riding jacket (held its own, but was ultimately soaked so heavy I had to change it,
though most wetness was from the top collar in)

1 Pair Seal Skiniz gloves (utterly, absolutely useless)

3 other pairs of gloves of various "waterproofness".

The only thing that worked were my older CAP boots (damp but not soaked), and a traditional
Tecknic rainsuit and traditional pants, double-layered with a resistant jacket underneath.

Anyway, what I am looking for is good waterproof gloves, there are plenty of rainsuits out there, and even the
best can only take so much, but my buddy and I are convinced there is no such thing as "waterproof" gloves.

Either they are so waterproof as to make your hands sweat, or they just suck up water like the SealSkins.

I'd love to find something I could use for CAP as well.

Anyone find anything good?

"That Others May Zoom"

BigMojo

I'm kinda surprised with the seal skinz...I have the socks they make, and they work great.

Other than PVC coated sweat box gloves, I really don't have an answer...

As for raingear, Grundens. Can't be beat (it's the stuff the Alaska Crab Guys use.(
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Al Sayre

Check with the Fire Dept.  Many years ago when I was in a VFD, we had some pretty good waterproof gloves, they were bright orange, with some kind of rubberized coating, but had a cloth inner liner that wicked away the sweat, so your hands stayed pretty dry. 

I've also found that a good set of leather gloves with gauntlets that go several inches up under your sleeve work pretty well when properly treated with mink oil or silicone waterproofing. 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: BigMojo on September 15, 2008, 04:23:31 PM
I'm kinda surprised with the seal skinz...I have the socks they make, and they work great.

I'm surprised and disappointed about them, I was an early tester and found them to be nothing that they
purport to be.

For one thing, they actually soak up water because the outer layer is coated cloth - for a little while, in light rain,
they will shed water, but anything more than that, or prolonged exposure has them soaked through and useless.

I've tried their test of runnning my hand under water, or submersing them, and for a short period you stay dry, but
not for a long time.

Those Kangaroo ones look interesting, though it would seem to me the leather would get heavy when wet as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

I found a nice pair of insulated waterproof gloves the manufacter is thinsulate
i got them wet the inside was still dry.

IceNine

Thinsulate is a type of insulation not a brand of clothing.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4