Main Menu

What's your GTM Setup?

Started by SARguyFVCS, January 04, 2014, 07:22:58 PM

SARguyFVCS

Im looking for some new ideas on how to set up my GTM gear. Thisis probably my fifth time redoing it. Right now i use a medium assult pack, ALICE Y- harness , 2x M-16 ammo pouches, and a butt pouch for my 24. The problem I have is that it is too big for a 24, but too small for a 72. I was looking at getting a med. ALICE, or using a MOLLE vest. I would just like to know your expirences and what you reccomend. I know that its different for everyone, but reccomendations help. Thanks.

Eclipse

If it won't fit in a SARmed vest, you're probably carrying too much stuff for the 24, especially true if you're got a butt pack.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARguyFVCS

I dont like putting all of my 24 items in my pack like notepad, pencil, compass etc. so It ends up to being about four or five things in the pack and the rest on my ALICE belt. I have tried to put all of it on my belt and use the pack for my 72 but the pack is too small.

Eclipse

Use the search function for "SARmed vest" lots of options for different types.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARguyFVCS

AngelWings

It's okay if it's a bit too big. I'm guessing the majority of what you need on your ALICE setup and the rest in the assault pack. If the pack is spacious, than you can probably stuff your ALICE into it and use it to make carrying your 24 easier.

For 72 hour gear, all you need is a duffle bag to carry it to and from mission base. It's base gear equipment. Nothing more to be said about it. Most of your interaction with it is going to be throwing it into your car or the CAP vehicle, offloading it, and putting it back. Ask around. If your wing or group gets put into missions where they're not going home to sleep, than you might want to look into a medium ALICE. I have a large and frankly, I have enough space to stuff a coffee maker, coffee, and a box of donuts into it when it's full. Everyone enjoys a good cup of coffee and some donuts  ;D

My regular setup is just putting the necessities into my pocket, packing the rest into the van, and going off to do the mission and coming back. My area gets UDF missions much more than actual GTM missions so I'm not concerned about hiking or needing to worry about many situations. Most of the stuff is more used in regular life than it is at CAP. Again, ask around and see what everyone else is typically using if you're new to this and if you're not, organize your pack in such a way that the necessities are on your person at all times and everything else can ditched.

My set up before I've gone on a hiatus included a tactical tailor vest, assault pack. and a tactical tailor MALICE pack which, like I've said, was huge. They were given to me by my squadron, and I've returned them since so I can only link pictures of them.

My 24 was in this: http://cdn.amronintl.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/Page912-ITM-095713-large_1.jpg

And this: http://www.hankssurplus.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/o/woodlandlegassault_3_-_copy.jpg

My 72 hour was in this: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/malicepackversion3kit.aspx

Luis R. Ramos

For years I was of the view to use the ALICE belt, butt pack, Y-suspenders, one ammo pouch and two canteens. On the canteens I would carry one canteen cup and the stove that is used with the canteen cup.

Then I redid my equipment more in tune with the list that appears on the ES tasks. The ALICE butt pack setup above is too small for that list. The canteens can be attached to the straps on the Medium pack, as do the gloves. With this setup I will carry my compass on my person attached to the same button where the whistle is, the exam gloves on a separate first aid/compass pouch attached to the pack.

Last year I modified it, carrying my 24-hour pack in a medium ALICE pack,and the 72-hour on a military duffel bag. Still have not tried to put the ALICE pack inside the duffel as the ES task book requires one to be able to do.

I carry both in my car trunk. Make sure you have everything inside zip-lock or other plastic bags. Last summer I found the deodorant in my toiletry kit had melted all over some of the other toiletry items. Since all were inside zip-locks, there was only minor cleanup of the soap, razor, and toothbrush. Now there is another deodorant inside its own zip-lock, inside a larger zip-lock with other toiletries.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MeEncantanLasTortugas24

I prefer MOLLE. It is not cheap, but there is a lot on the market.

ol'fido

An interesting set up I have seen in a few old Vietnam era photos is to hook the carrying straps onto an ALICE frame and hook the butt pack to the top of the frame and then have a poncho/poncho liner roll or small sleeping bag strapped to the lower part of the frame.

Kind of like the picture on the left but with a butt pack instead of a small ALICE pack which I have rarely seen in real life.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Stonewall

My set up.
Serving since 1987.

ol'fido

Your bluetooth looks cooler than mine.  ;D

RangerConlin

Can you guys please post some photos regarding what a SARmed vest is?  I Googled it and got no results.

SarDragon

Quote from: RangerConlin on January 16, 2014, 07:23:22 PM
Can you guys please post some photos regarding what a SARmed vest is?  I Googled it and got no results.

Search for SARmed or vest on here, and you'll have what you want.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ReCAP

With all due respect, searching for "sarmed vest" on captalk mainly returns posts advising people to "search for sarmed vest on captalk" along with many passing references to it but no photos or links or detailed descriptions.   

Are they stored next to the prop wash? 

Stonewall

Ok, here is my GTM setup, it hadn't changed in 20 years.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: ReCAP on January 17, 2014, 02:49:39 PM
With all due respect, searching for "sarmed vest" on captalk mainly returns posts advising people to "search for sarmed vest on captalk" along with many passing references to it but no photos or links or detailed descriptions.   

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=10134.msg186120#msg186120

Yes, the entire 24 can fit in here when packed properly.

To your semi-defense, there's an active member who goes by SARMED and that means more returns. 

Google is also your friend in these cases as it will search not only CT, but the rest of the web, too.

Make sure whatever you buy is ANSI-II compliant, otherwise you'll have to wear a vest over it, which looks silly.

Also, these days a lot of people are switching to Lime-Yellow, which I would, too, if I didn't already own two much orange stuff.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: ReCAP on January 17, 2014, 02:49:39 PM

So you expect one of us to do the search, sort through the dross, and then post the pertinent links? Not gonna happen. I'll point you in the right direction, perhaps provide a hint or two if available, and then you're on your own.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ReCAP

Thanks for the helpful answer Eclipse! 

I realize now that "sarmed" is a term for a type of vest rather than a specific product. 

To that end, I've had my eye on a Radians SV55 Engineer vest (http://www.fullsource.com/radians-sv55-2zod/) which is half the cost of this Seco vest (http://www.engineersupply.com/seco-8265-class-2-safety-utility-vest.aspx) which appears to have the same layout. 

Edit: Corrected first link.

ol'fido

Quote from: Stonewall on January 17, 2014, 02:51:54 PM
Ok, here is my GTM setup, it hadn't changed in 20 years.
There is no school like the "old School".

Eclipse

Quote from: ReCAP on January 17, 2014, 05:36:10 PM
Thanks for the helpful answer Eclipse! 

I realize now that "sarmed" is a term for a type of vest rather than a specific product. 

To that end, I've had my eye on a Radians SV55 Engineer vest (http://www.fullsource.com/radians-sv55-2zod/) which is half the cost of this Seco vest (http://www.engineersupply.com/seco-8265-class-2-safety-utility-vest.aspx) which appears to have the same layout. 

Edit: Corrected first link.

That's real nice - have looked at that one myself, and was using it as an example to sew tape on another one I have (haven't yet).

"That Others May Zoom"