Main Menu

Where to get ES gear

Started by Joystick, June 30, 2013, 06:18:40 PM

Joystick

So I'm thinking of getting into ES and trying NESA. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should purchase all the ES gear? I know that Vanguard has everything I probably need but to my knowledge they are not the cheapest place to go. Does anyone know of good places to get all the gear?

Eclipse

Vanguard does not sell ES equipment, and even if they did, that would be your last choice.

Target, Wal*Mart, Bass Pro Shops, local surplus store, REI, etc., etc., and of course your own closet.

Your best bet is to spend the spend the least amount you can to start - a full GT gear shouldn't cost you more then about $50.
A school back pack will fit everything - you don't need a plate carrier or tac rig.

After you've decided yo want to continue, and as you see what works, and what doesn't, you can upgrade incrementally.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Also....team up with a few buddies.

A lot of the items are sold in bulk....you need a couple of pair of latex gloves....well you can find a single pack...but it will cost and arm and a leg.  So team up and pitch in and share.

Also...don't go out and buy anything you would not use for other activities....just in case you don't like ES.

Need a small back pack for 24 hour gear.....use your school back pack.
Need 2 liters of water.....don't buy a 2 liter camel-back....just get 2 1 liter bottles of water from the 7-11.

Get in cheap......as you do ES and see what other people have...you can take a look at it...maybe even try it out...before you go out and spend $300 on a load bearing vest.

Good luck....P.S.  you will enjoy NESA.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

Check out Wardens Supply, they have a pretty good selection of surplus gear (web gear, backpacks etc.) at reasonable prices.  I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them over the years, and always find their service great and their shipping prompt.

http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

GroundHawg

http://tonystactical.com/

This guy usually has great prices on the basic gear you will need. And check yard sales, and eBay, and goodwill, and salvation army stores, and craigslist, etc...

Joystick

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and store links.

CavScout

I'd suggest military surplus for as much of it as possible. It's rugged quality at a cheap price. You might not want to go back as far as canvas gear, nylon and newer is what I've always prefered.

Surplus shops seem to be hit or miss for good pricing. I'd recommend you look Ebay over extensively, and not just at the milsurp type ebay store sellers. They are charging just as much as the shops sometimes do.

If the gear will be in a camo pattern, I'd say get what matches your environment. Are you trying to blend in? Probably not, but there's potential you'll look oblivious to on lookers.

There's the classic pistol belt, Y suspenders, magazines pouches, canteen pouches, a compass pouch, and the possible butt pack (hard to use with vehicles, not recommended.) Basic web gear and an assault pack (backpack) and you should be well fitted to carry what you need.

If you're looking to get more advanced, I highly recommend USGI molle II gear. The 'rifleman carrier' is a good base vest/belt that doesn't require adjusting a pouch-covered pistol belt to adjust for cold weather gear and easily adjusts in seconds. Then with molle you have any combo of pouches you could imagine. Lots of USGI pouches out there, also new quality commercial, budget quality, and absolute junk pouches.

A happy medium is the LBV. It's even cheaper than the pieced web gear, uses up free space on your chest area, and found everywhere. But it isn't very modular and still needs a pistol belt, which will still need agjusting or an extension to fit with a jacket on.

I say avoid getting an IBA, IOTV, or any other plate carrier/soft armor options; or don't use the ones you own for CAP. Don't use open style shingle mag pouches, holsters, and other types that will draw attention.

Ground team field training and missions are what I enjoy. If you like the outdoors, you will too.

TexasCadet

I am just getting into ES as well, and while I'm not sure exactly how my 24-hour pack should be, I do know a great place to get stuff: www.Omahas.com . This is a local store near my house, and they carry everything from BDUs to MOLLE and ALICE gear. It isn't the cheapest place in the world, but it provides good surplus.