whats the new df unit being installed in aircraft?

Started by starshippe, May 11, 2012, 05:38:25 AM

starshippe

anybody know what the make/model is?

thanks,
bill

vento

Something new is coming? We are still using the LPer and as far as we are concerned, the Becker is the new stuff and we don't have it.  :(

SARDOC

I wasn't aware that there was a new DF unit, other than the Becker...which is awesome by the way.

I know that some of our aircraft are having their GPS unit replaced.  The GX 55 is no longer supported.  We are supposed to hear the results of the bid next month.  I'm not sure what the new product is though.

flyingscotsman

Quote from: SARDOC on May 21, 2012, 01:22:13 AM
I wasn't aware that there was a new DF unit, other than the Becker...which is awesome by the way.

I know that some of our aircraft are having their GPS unit replaced.  The GX 55 is no longer supported.  We are supposed to hear the results of the bid next month.  I'm not sure what the new product is though.

Garmin G400W https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=298

It's getting installed in at least one CAP C182 that I know of, to replace the Apollo GX55. Basically a 430 without the Nav/Com radio functionality. And the irony is that it will be End Of Sale sometime this year. Must be getting them on clearance. ;)

The Garmin GTN625 is it's closest replacement, but I haven't heard any mention of CAP getting those.

As far as DF is concerned, the Becker seems to still be state of the art.

SARDOC

Quote from: flyingscotsman on May 21, 2012, 02:31:04 AMAnd the irony is that it will be End Of Sale sometime this year. Must be getting them on clearance. ;)

That's too funny.  I'm sure they will still be supported for a while after their end of sale date though.

flyingscotsman

Quote from: SARDOC on May 21, 2012, 03:21:27 AM
Quote from: flyingscotsman on May 21, 2012, 02:31:04 AMAnd the irony is that it will be End Of Sale sometime this year. Must be getting them on clearance. ;)

That's too funny.  I'm sure they will still be supported for a while after their end of sale date though.

That's exactly what Garmin says. It'll be EOS not End Of Life, so we'll have support for a while.

Only issue I'm afraid of is having a small number of these orphaned out there, only to move on to the next thing and requiring people to keep proficient with using yet another GPS platform. At the present time I've had to keep myself proficient enough using the G1000, KLN94, KLN89, GX55 (and it's closely related versions), and the 430 (with the Aspen). Sure there are strategies that can be applied across them all, but each have their own quirks to slow you down.