What type of warm clothing should I bring to a cold weather SAREX?

Started by JArvey, December 12, 2010, 03:31:44 AM

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

manfredvonrichthofen

Ah, those are different socks than I thought, I haven't seen those before. Very interesting. I will be looking into those for sure.

SarDragon

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 14, 2010, 07:02:53 AM
Stay away from heated socks, they aren't very safe for your feet. They will be comfortable at first but soon your feet will sweat, you will take out the battery then the wires will rust if you don't get them clean very soon, and you run the risk of cutting your foot or shocking yourself when they short.

Gonna throw a small BS flag here.

The sweating concern is probably valid. Damaged wires may cause puncture or laceration injuries.

Copper wires don't rust; that's an iron based problem. A Ni-Cr heating element is equally likely to not have significant corrosion issues. Finally, I seriously doubt that you'll get a shock from a couple of 1.5 volt batteries.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: SarDragon on December 14, 2010, 07:18:42 AM
Gonna throw a small BS flag here.

The sweating concern is probably valid. Damaged wires may cause puncture or laceration injuries.

Copper wires don't rust; that's an iron based problem. A Ni-Cr heating element is equally likely to not have significant corrosion issues. Finally, I seriously doubt that you'll get a shock from a couple of 1.5 volt batteries.

Go ahead, throw a small BS Flag, The sweating concern is definitely valid, and oh yeah, damaged wires will definitely cause small injuries, and small injuries on your feet is a big issue.

Generally the heated socks that you can find for a decent price even unused are going to be rather old, before copper became the standard wiring. Finally, most heated socks are actually powered by a 9v, try sticking your tongue on one and see how it feels. Go to your local surplus store, ask if they have heated socks, if so, then see what I am talking about. For most members the surplus store is the main source of gear and clothing.