What type of warm clothing should I bring to a cold weather SAREX?

Started by JArvey, December 12, 2010, 03:31:44 AM

JArvey

I am going to be going to a annual cold weather SAREX where the main purpose of the event is to experience the cold so does anyone have any suggestions on what I should bring? At my last 2 SAREX's my tent fell down because it is not made for windy climates. Also any good gloves or earmuffs that work well and can get wet would also be nice to know of.

Thanks

manfredvonrichthofen

The tent thing is an easy fix. I always only use my poncho and 550 cord to build a small hooch. find two trees lay your poncho out on the ground Stake the four corners of your poncho to the ground ( tie 550 cord to the grommets and stake throuch the 550 cord), then run 550 cord to the two trees at waist level and tie the hood of your poncho so it won't let water in and tie it to the 550 cord running to the two trees. Dig a small trench around the poncho and cover the poncho with leaves for insulation. This keeps it small so it will hold your heat in better and make it to where the wind cannot blow your hooch away at all. Also allows for zero water penetration. If no trees are available find a good stick and wrap a spare tshirt around the top of it and use that to hold up the center of your poncho. Make sure to put chemlights on your 550 cord that is running between the trees so no one gets hung up on it. I have been doing this for the past 13 years and hasn't failed me once.

So far as the gloves go, I use divers gloves that are one size too large and put a pair of thing stretchy gloves under them for insulation. But the ear muffs, I have no idea how to keep them dry. That is the only issue I have. The best I can think of is to get some water proofing spray and give them about three or four coats, but I don't know if that will even help.

commando1

You may know this already but UnderArmour has some terrific stuff! I have recently bought a long sleeve t-shirt for wear under my BDU's and have found it to be incredibly insulating. Of course it will also run you about 40 bucks. You can also find off-brand stuff that will be pretty good. Always, always, always bring spare socks in the cold. Even if there is no snow or rain chances are you will find the only creek or good-sized puddle out there and accidentally step in it. There is nothing worse than being on a SAREX with wet, cold feet. And of course gloves, hats etc. are always a necessity.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

JArvey

I would love to do the poncho idea, but we have to be in a line because for some reason they do inspections at BCT's and SAREX's. And I dint think about underarmour I went out and spent 120$ on 1 set of thermals :/. And I ussually have about 5 extra pair of socks.

manfredvonrichthofen

you can still do a poncho if you have to be in a line. Just use a stick wrapped with a tshirt to hold the center up instead of trees.

JC004

Earmuffs - 180s.  They're great.  You don't have to worry about it fighting with your hat.  http://www.180s.com/pages/catalog_listing.aspx?g=1%2c2&y=7   I had an off-brand of 180s-type ear warmers.  They sucked.

Ditch cotton.  As they say, cotton kills.  It is a terrible material for winter.  It doesn't maintain its ability to keep you warm when it gets wet and even if it stays dry from the outside, you will sweat.  No cotton socks.  No cotton t-shirt.  No cotton undergarments.

Wool and synthetics are good.  Smartwool makes outstanding products.  I own a lot of them.  They have great socks.  I like the Smartwool PhD crew in heavyweight for winter.  There is also a heavier mountaineering sock that they make.  Their products don't itch at all.  DO NOT GET COTTON/WOOL BLEND SOCKS.  If you buy socks from Eastern Mountain Sports, you get one free if you buy 3 pairs.  If you spend enough, you'll get free shipping a card worth $25 to use after Christmas (they're good starting Dec 25)

The North Face and a number of other companies make good gloves.  Look for something that will give you a nice grip and something that is water resistant.  Smartwool makes nice glove liners.  They add extra warmth, help pull moisture from your skin, and if you are doing something that requires you to take your gloves off, the liners will provide some decent warmth.

Eastern Mountain Sports makes a decent and inexpensive product called Techwick which makes a good base layer.  I have these: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4032099&lmdn=Brand&cp=3707807.3737267.3693383

You can also get Techwick shirts to replace your cotton t-shirt.  Smartwool makes (more expensive) t-shirts.

Get a fleece of a decent weight for an insulation layer under your shell layer (shell layer preferably being a Gore-Tex jacket and pants).  Mountain Hardwear Windstopper is nice.  I also like The North Face Windwall (I prefer this one, but I do like the armpit-area ventilation zippers on the Mountain Hardwear). 

A balaclava can be a nice thing to have.  Insulated boots are good depending upon conditions but you should always have Gore-Tex lining whether you get insulated boots or not.

Honestly, I'd probably return the $120 thermals.  Go Techwick. 

There's tons of stuff that you can get in plain black which would be in regulation. 

Brands I recommend for winter stuff would be Eastern Mountain Sports, REI, The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, and Smartwool.  I'd recommend Kelty if you're looking for a pack.

Don't forget to pack your extra stuff in something waterproof.  Loksak makes some good little bags.  I prefer Sea to Summit products and SealLine.  SealLine has nice dry bags and I've got some Sea to Summit little waterproof bags for different stuff.  I also have a Harmony dry bag.

Any other gear that you're wondering about?

JArvey

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 12, 2010, 10:32:08 PM
you can still do a poncho if you have to be in a line. Just use a stick wrapped with a tshirt to hold the center up instead of trees.

Yeah but it doesn't leave enough room for all my stuff people have done that before though.

davidsinn

I'd like to point out that he's from Georgia. It doesn't get cold there, just chilly ;D In your climate, long underwear and an M65 should be more than enough. That's what I wear up here, down to 15 degrees. Below that I have to get creative.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JArvey

It was 20 at my last BCT and its expected to be 15 degrees sometime this week. It does get cold in the south and at the event im going to (Frostbite) it is located on the top of a mountain. It is rare that it makes it above 0 at this SAREX.

davidsinn

Quote from: JArvey on December 12, 2010, 11:33:59 PM
It was 20 at my last BCT and its expected to be 15 degrees sometime this week. It does get cold in the south and at the event im going to (Frostbite) it is located on the top of a mountain. It is rare that it makes it above 0 at this SAREX.

Ok. That is cold.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Yeah, that sucks if you were to use the poncho method you would have to use a poncho liner also. That can be a pain in the butt to do anyways, not to mention you would loose that nice little item when it comes to sleeping comfortably.

JArvey

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 13, 2010, 01:22:01 AM
Yeah, that sucks if you were to use the poncho method you would have to use a poncho liner also. That can be a pain in the butt to do anyways, not to mention you would loose that nice little item when it comes to sleeping comfortably.

What exactly is a poncho liner?

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JArvey on December 13, 2010, 11:54:08 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 13, 2010, 01:22:01 AM

What exactly is a poncho liner?
A poncho liner is simply the greatest thing ever made. It is basically a nylon quilted blanket the size of a poncho. It packs easily (there is ALWAYS room for it in a ruck or duffel) and is really quite warm, although I can only recall ever actually seeing it laced into a poncho one time.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on December 13, 2010, 02:44:34 PM
A poncho liner is simply the greatest thing ever made. It is basically a nylon quilted blanket the size of a poncho. It packs easily (there is ALWAYS room for it in a ruck or duffel) and is really quite warm, although I can only recall ever actually seeing it laced into a poncho one time.

That is mostly what I use it for, tying the poncho liner inside of the poncho when I make a hooch from a poncho in the cold. Other than that I use my second one in the early morning when first waking up getting out of my hooch, good way to not freeze your buns off when first coming out of the sack.

HGjunkie

Oh man, I LOVE my poncho liner. Wind-proof, water-proof, and cold-proof, I don't camp without it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JArvey

Quote from: HGjunkie on December 13, 2010, 09:05:38 PM
Oh man, I LOVE my poncho liner. Wind-proof, water-proof, and cold-proof, I don't camp without it.

Wow ok, I might have to get one. Would it fit in my 24 hour pack?

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JArvey on December 14, 2010, 12:17:53 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on December 13, 2010, 09:05:38 PM
Wow ok, I might have to get one. Would it fit in my 24 hour pack?
Yes. Leave it until last to be packed and you should be able to stuff it in.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

IceNine

Do some deep reaching searches into ECWCS.  While I wouldn't recommend that you go buy the entire ECWCS line of clothing it will lead you in the right direction.  You will notice trends in materials and techniques.

The 3 high points-

- Lots of progressively thickening layers will be better than 1 or 2 thick layers.

- Wicking, breathing, Wind Resistance are buzz words for all items.

- Keep your core warm and your extremities warmer. 

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

manfredvonrichthofen

Stay away from heated socks, they aren't very safe for your feet. They will be comfortable at first but soon your feet will sweat, you will take out the battery then the wires will rust if you don't get them clean very soon, and you run the risk of cutting your foot or shocking yourself when they short.