GES 116 Exam

Started by stillamarine, November 19, 2007, 05:06:11 PM

stillamarine

Anyone know if the 116 test can be adminstered on paper and then put into Eservices or does it have to be done online nowadays?

We are presenting it in a classroom setting to our cadets and if we have them take a test on paper, we know they all do it compared to hoping they do it when they get home.

Thanks

Tim
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

floridacyclist

We try to have several computers available so they can line up and take it online. We used to give them the paper test and then let them input their answers, cutting back on actual computer time, but they prohibited the tests from being printed.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

stillamarine

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

mikeylikey

Anyone remeber when it was all on paper, and we had to "trust" the person grading the test.  Wow......did it like that for 30+ years, don't see why we can't do it that way now. 
What's up monkeys?

BillB

About two years ago I asked National if I could download the 116 and 117 tests, they gave an OK, so the paper tests were administered to cadets. However, shortly after that, National made it impossible to download the test. So you may have a hard time getting a paper copy to administer.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Major Lord

I think you can still use your "print screen" function to copy anything, can't you?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jimmydeanno

While I may not agree with the current methods of taking some of the tests, I don't think it would be appropriate conversation to discuss how to get around them...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

floridacyclist

Yes it will work...but if you ever try highlighting the test, you will see the following

Printing or copying test prohibited!!!!

Whether you can physically copy it or not (I know of at least 4 ways), the rules say no and as far as I'm concerned our integrity should pretty much agree.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

stillamarine

Thought I had......I can still pull the test up even though I already took it.

Pull the test up on a laptop, put it on the overhead projector and have them do it that way, take their answers home and put it on the computer, or as we have time use the couple laptops we have available taking turns.

Thoughts?

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SarDragon

I don't like that. There's still a security issue there, IMHO.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jeders

Quote from: SarDragon on November 19, 2007, 11:01:25 PM

YMMV.

Agreed. If you have the ability to bring it up on a laptop or take it home and enter it into a computer, then you have the ability to have them do it on a computer.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Thor

So in this case are paper copies/test administrations illegal per National Regs? If not, I've got a paper version of the 116 (back when you could print them) around somewhere, that I could just scan and put into a PDF for whoever needs it.
"If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."
-Chuck Norris doesn't request clearances, he states intentions.
"We're not on the wrong f***ing mountain!!!!"

jeders

Quote from: Thor on November 20, 2007, 12:11:18 AM
So in this case are paper copies/test administrations illegal per National Regs? If not, I've got a paper version of the 116 (back when you could print them) around somewhere, that I could just scan and put into a PDF for whoever needs it.

Is it the up to date one?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

stillamarine

Quote from: jeders on November 19, 2007, 11:39:03 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 19, 2007, 11:01:25 PM

YMMV.

Agreed. If you have the ability to bring it up on a laptop or take it home and enter it into a computer, then you have the ability to have them do it on a computer.

True,

but we only have about 2 laptops guaranteed to be there, mine and the Squadron's. 12 Cadets....can take a bit of time. Of course, we can tell them to do it at home, and I know we should trust our Cadets to do the right thing, but history has shown that when we ask them to do it on their own, about 50% will do it when told.

As for the security issue, I'm not sure what that would be. If the only people attending the class are registered members, just place answers on the test sheet (T or F multiple choice). What possible security issues could be given away?

Anyways thanks everyone for your input.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Thor

Quote from: jeders on November 20, 2007, 12:55:01 AM
Quote from: Thor on November 20, 2007, 12:11:18 AM

Is it the up to date one?

Nevermind it's the older one from 2001.
"If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."
-Chuck Norris doesn't request clearances, he states intentions.
"We're not on the wrong f***ing mountain!!!!"

RogueLeader

The GES 116 and 117 are both open book.  You are free to have the materials to look through while they take the test.  Even though they are online, they are still bound by CAPR 50-4 section 1-6.  What ever you do DO NOT ALLOW A TEST TO BE TAKEN HOME!!!  Such an action would be a Test Compromise.

Also, pursuant to CAPR 50-4 section 3-1 sub a. quotes:
3-1. Compromise of CAP and AFIADL Test Materials:
a. NO PART OF ANY TEST MATERIALS MAY BE DUPLICATED OR TRANSCRIBED FOR ANY REASON. This includes test booklets, individual test questions, completed answer sheets, and examination scoring keys. If insufficient copies are available, additional copies must be obtained using the procedures in appropriate regulations. Test materials may not be borrowed from other units. However, with the unit commanders approval, reasonable number of Cadet Leadership and Aerospace Education test booklets may be reproduced to support cadet testing, cadet progression programs, as well as Senior Member Specialty track and Aerospace Yeager Test. NOTE: For test materials reproduced for this purpose, marking, test inventory log, storage, security, administration, destruction and compromise procedures will be handled in accordance with applicable sections of this regulation.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: stillamarine on November 20, 2007, 12:56:31 AMbut history has shown that when we ask them to do it on their own, about 50% will do it when told.

Then they don't get to play until they do their homework.

Part of this program is personal responsibility.  I guarantee yo most of them will spend time updating their FaceSpace pages...

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2007, 07:07:00 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on November 20, 2007, 12:56:31 AMbut history has shown that when we ask them to do it on their own, about 50% will do it when told.

Then they don't get to play until they do their homework.

We had a cadet that wanted to take part in an activity that required GES, but he didn't do it, so he didn't go.  Only himself to blame.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

brasda91

I just finished creating the step by step directions to complete the 116 and 117 part 1 tests.  I also created a study guide for the 116 for them to utilize right along with the test.  ;)
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

stillamarine

Don't suppose you care to share, Maj? :)

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com