Got denied a call sign...

Started by Stonewall, August 24, 2007, 03:21:06 PM

Stonewall

So, I sent in my FLWG Form 21 requesting a call sign.  I've got 4 radios but only one squeeks by the NTIA compliant requirement because it "hasn't been tested".

QuoteNotice: Radios meeting the "Narrowband Pre 1/06", but failing to meet or not having been tested to the "Narrowband Post 1/06" standards may continue to be used until the end of their life cycle, if acquired or placed in service prior to Jan 2006 (Ref: 47 CFR 300 5.3.5.2, Effective Dates).  "N/A" in the "Narrowband Compliant Post 1/06" column indicates the radio was not tested to the New Standards by the manufacturer.

I get this via email:

QuoteDo you have a receipt showing this radio was purchased prior to 1/06?

According to the pre 1/06 test this radio will not pass the post 1/06 test.

My thought on this:  You've got a guy (me) who has a radio that is clearly exempt from the NTIA standard because it wasn't tested, which means it can still be used.  I am an asset to the areas SAR effort being qualified up to Ground Branch Director along with being an EMT and having my own radio.  But I can't get a call sign because I can't show a receipt for the purchase of this radio.

Every radio I have is at least 10 years old.  I'm sorry, but I don't have a receipt.  Not to mention, this model radio hasn't been manufactured since 1/06, so how could it have been "put in service" for the first time sicne 1/06?

So now I'll have to spend what, $1000 to become "compliant".  This is crap.

Serving since 1987.

Sgt. Savage

Some people take their jobs too seriously. I'll give you a call sign.... "Fuzzy Bunny"

Too late, already stuck.... (Sorry Geico)

Stonewall

^Laugh it up, Fuzz Ball...

I should have just kept my membership with NATCAP along with my call sign and offered my assistance to FLWG.

But yeah, some people take their jobs so seriously that it effects others negatively. 
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

I've got an Alinco DJ-580 (dual band) HT, a DR-140 Mobile, a Vertex VS-150 HT, and a Motorola MT 2000 HT.  I'm thinking, well over $2000 worth of comms gear that works perfectly.  But someone, somewhere, said "throw it all away, it's worthless, spend $2000 on just one radio".

Grrrr....sometimes I hate things.    >:(
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

A decode of the serial number might be able to help this, if its really old enough, it should be obvious.

Otherwise perhaps the Wing DC will accept an affidavit or your testimony as to when it was purchased.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2007, 06:32:45 PM
A decode of the serial number might be able to help this, if its really old enough, it should be obvious.

Otherwise perhaps the Wing DC will accept an affidavit or your testimony as to when it was purchased.

...or a donut.  Remember never to rule out donuts.

Major Lord

Kirt,

Contact by PM off line.

Allen
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2007, 06:32:45 PM

I think it is obvious.  You can even go to the Motorola website where it says it is no longer manufactured.

CaptLord, PM sent.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

CNX OPORD for night time infil.  Al is okay, I got approved after explaining that the radio wasn't manufactured after 1/06 and copied the DCWG Commo God who helped out.

Standby for some whacky transmissions in FLWG...  >:D  :angel:  8)
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Stonewall on August 24, 2007, 07:29:11 PM
CNX OPORD for night time infil.  Al is okay, I got approved after explaining that the radio wasn't manufactured after 1/06 and copied the DCWG Commo God who helped out.

I gave up buying radios after all my old ones were ruled "Non-Compliant."
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on August 24, 2007, 03:21:06 PM
Every radio I have is at least 10 years old.  I'm sorry, but I don't have a receipt.  Not to mention, this model radio hasn't been manufactured since 1/06, so how could it have been "put in service" for the first time sicne 1/06?

Just for the record, the key is "in service" - it could easily have sat on a shelf since Jan 06 and only been unwrapped today.  I don't agree, I'm just saying.

"That Others May Zoom"

floridacyclist

Dang..and I missed the HF net tonight LOL
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2007, 08:54:02 PM

Just for the record, the key is "in service" - it could easily have sat on a shelf since Jan 06 and only been unwrapped today.  I don't agree, I'm just saying.

I hear ya, but it's been "in service" for several years now. 

Sorry, Gene.  No HF here, plus I'm at drill this weekend.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on August 25, 2007, 02:13:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2007, 08:54:02 PM

I hear ya, but it's been "in service" for several years now. 

Sorry, Gene.  No HF here, plus I'm at drill this weekend.

Was it licensed within CAP?  If it was it should be a non-issue and should already be on the books.  The "in service", for CAP's purpose, refers only to CAP.  (i.e. a donated 5-year old HT100 from your local PD is still a "new" radio to CAP).

"That Others May Zoom"

Fifinella

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 24, 2007, 03:28:23 PM
Some people take their jobs too seriously.
"The power to obstruct, exercised by self-important people, is the real bureaucratic evil." – Louis B. Lundborg
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Slim

UK...Did you get that bad boy reprogrammed yet?

Slim

JC004

You need HF so you can transmit your madness even further...   :angel:

Pylon

The recent mess with radios is just that.  A mess.

Sorry you got caught up in the red tape that excludes members who don't have thousands of dollars in personal, disposable funds to support a group you volunteer you time for.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: Slim on August 26, 2007, 02:38:12 AM

UK...Did you get that bad boy reprogrammed yet?

I couldn't get anyone in FLWG to give me a freq plan so I only have 6 channels programmed.  In DCWG we had 32 channels programmed the same on all radios.  I emailed and talked to several comms people last year and no one seemed to know or want to give me the comm plan.
Serving since 1987.

floridacyclist

I'll get with you via email...I have a 32-channel plan that covers all repeaters in FL, GA, and AL I just need to dig it out of my Kenwood software.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org