Main Menu

Betadine

Started by Archer, August 04, 2013, 12:38:38 AM

Archer

Providone-iodine 10%: in some circles you'll hear medics talking about its "uselessness." As someone with no luck finding research about this on the internet and having never witnessed first-hand a bad reaction to Betadine or lack of effectiveness, I ask you: is there some substance to these beliefs or are they just whispers in the wind?

Ned

Sung to the tune of "My Darling Clementine:"

"In the cabinet, in the bathroom
O'er the sink, whose faucets shine,
Stands a funny little bottle
With a label: Betadine.

Oh you funny, oh you funny,
Oh you funny Betadine:
You don't taste good on a cookie,
But on 'boo-boos' you're just fine."

With apologies to Allen Sherman.

Luis R. Ramos

Wow. Ned just left me speechless!

I know you are a lawyer but have you been a judge? Would have loved to read your rulings if you wrote them in a similar vein.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SARDOC

Quote from: Archer on August 04, 2013, 12:38:38 AM
Providone-iodine 10%: in some circles you'll hear medics talking about its "uselessness." As someone with no luck finding research about this on the internet and having never witnessed first-hand a bad reaction to Betadine or lack of effectiveness, I ask you: is there some substance to these beliefs or are they just whispers in the wind?

Iodine, is actually the element that people with shell fish allergies react to, so before you go using it make sure they do not have any iodine/shellfish allergies. 

It's not the greatest antiseptic out there.  There is a technique to using it as well.  Those medics/surgical techs will tell you you have to start at the center and in a circular pattern work your way to the outside of any incision site.  You also have to wait to let it dry.  It all really depends on what you are using it for and the environment you are using it.  It's only really good to be used in a clean space like an operating room. Otherwise you get all sorts of other nastiness sticking to your incision site.

Critical AOA

Q: Is there a connection between shellfish allergies and iodine?

Equating an allergy to shellfish with an allergy to iodine is a fairly common misconception.  Fish and radiographic contrast allergies are also erroneously equated with iodine allergies.

Iodine is essential for proper thyroid function.  Without it, people become ill with thyroid problems.  As it turns out, seafood and crops fertilized with seaweed are a good source of iodine.  As people moved from coastal areas inland, the incidence of thyroid deficiency increased.  Beginning in the 20th century, it became a common additive in many varieties of table salt.  As a result, now you have to work hard to completely avoid it.

The allergen in shellfish is a protein, not iodine.  Some people with iodine allergies really have a topical sensitivity to iodine (e.g., povidone iodine; Betadine), usually a much different kind of reaction than the immediate reaction found with anaphylaxis.

Bottom line: A shellfish allergy should almost never preclude the use of iodine for water disinfection. If you are concerned, get more information about the true nature of the allergy.  If the person has not had problems with other seafood (saltwater) or table salt, iodine is not the culprit.  There are, of course, other reasons for not using iodine as a water disinfectant.
http://www.wildmed.com/blog/q-is-there-a-connection-between-shellfish-allergies-and-iodine/
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Archer

Ah, then this would be problematic in a blow out kit to be used in austere environments or on someone who isn't aware of their allergies.
*Out of the kit you go*
What do y'all reckon is the best field antiseptic?

lordmonar

Seeing as how YOU are going to be the most likely user of your blow out kit.....put what you want in it.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Archer

Quote from: lordmonar on August 04, 2013, 02:40:49 AM
Seeing as how YOU are going to be the most likely user of your blow out kit.....put what you want in it.

True. I got my answer about the Betadine, the Google machine should be able to turn up results of proper comparisons of different antiseptics.

Thanks for the help.

sarmed1

Quote from: Archer on August 04, 2013, 02:26:53 AM
Ah, then this would be problematic in a blow out kit to be used in austere environments or on someone who isn't aware of their allergies.
*Out of the kit you go*

"Blow out kit"... depends on your intended operating situation.  Blow out implies stop bleeiding right now...worry about infection later.
What kind of use are we really talking about?... If just the austere environment I'd just go with NSS and a good irrigation plan, follow up with AAA or neosporin.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Archer

Quote from: sarmed1 on August 04, 2013, 03:56:14 AM
*Out of the kit you go*

"Blow out kit"... depends on your intended operating situation.  Blow out implies stop bleeiding right now...worry about infection later.
What kind of use are we really talking about?... If just the austere environment I'd just go with NSS and a good irrigation plan, follow up with AAA or neosporin.

mk

Well, what would you call it? It's the kit I carry when I know there's a heightened risk of injury and/or I'll be one of the only people on site with medical training and experience. It's a combination of  a stop someone from dying kit + a boo boo kit; nothing in the middle. If you're in the middle, someone with the stuff you need is en-route anyway, but it's not bad enough that you need me to do something about it until they get here.

sarmed1

Quote from: Archer on August 04, 2013, 04:17:06 AM
Quote from: sarmed1 on August 04, 2013, 03:56:14 AM
*Out of the kit you go*

mk

Well, what would you call it? It's the kit I carry when I know there's a heightened risk of injury and/or I'll be one of the only people on site with medical training and experience. It's a combination of  a stop someone from dying kit + a boo boo kit; nothing in the middle. If you're in the middle, someone with the stuff you need is en-route anyway, but it's not bad enough that you need me to do something about it until they get here.

If "stop them from dying" right now is the plan... antiseptic is on the bottom of the worry list and for boo boo's simple washing will suffice...if you are really stuck on the idea like I said a little (like the spray kind or little tube of neosporin is about as much as you need)   anything else pretty much falls on the in-the-middle you describe....

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SARDOC

David.

Thanks for the information regarding Iodine V. Shellfish.   I still see OR's and other Medical Professionals still making the comparison.  Thanks for that I stand corrected.   I've always held it to be true because that's what I was taught and even seen when I worked in the hospitals.   Good to know.

I stand by the rest of my statement however.   I think it's makes more of a mess than what it's worth.

I'm not really worried about an antiseptic in the field, no matter the injury you'll probably have to wind up being treated with antibiotics anyway.  So there is really no point in staining all your stuff Yellow/Brown in the event that you might actually have to use it.

arajca

Whatever kind of antiseptic you carry, make sure you pay attention to expiration dates. I've seen folks pull out little packets that were expired for two or three years and get upset when I tossed them aside and ended up using water and a 'sterile' 4x4.